Ēgdo

From OpenGeofiction Encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
10, -54.1069, 79.4559
Ēgdo
Ēkrąt Gąlbēdŭnš Dordŭnŷ
Flag
Largest cityNot known
National languagesKöpā (Zurhkan, Zŵpā), Uÿuŧė
Ethnic GroupsZurhkan (41%), Zŵpā (38%), Uÿuŧė (11%), Others (10%)
DemonymĒgdony
GovernmentSituational Semi-dependent Territory
 • Judicial AppointeeDigą Erąluntąnē
LegislatureJudicial Council
Area
 • Totalc500 km2
Population
 • Estimatec15,000
HDI0.65
medium
CurrencyĒkaŏyū (Ē)
Drives on theleft
Internet TLD.ed .oo

Ēgdo is an island territory located in southern Antarephia. The territory is composed of two island groups situated in the Southern Asperic Ocean between outlying islands of the continental landmass of Antarephia. The islands lie in open ocean north of AN150j and Kėzėpölān and south of Beligonia. The territory is a constituent member of the Organisation of Independent Oceanic Islands (OIOI) and is technically a state within this Federation.

Ēgdo is an abbreviated name from the Utz language 'Ēkrąt Gąlbēdŭnš Dordŭnŷ', meaning 'Islands of Albatrosses and Penguins'. 'Ēgdo' can also be translated from Utz as 'the Box'. The long version of the name is used only in official documents. The Utz language is extinct in the islands.

There are two main western islands: Rąt Gąlbēdŭn (Albatross Island) and Rąt Dordŭn (Penguin Island) along with the smaller Rąt Albert Ross (Albert Ross Island) which supports the main western settlement. The islands were given these names in 1888; prior to this they were known by unrecorded names in the Makyn language, which is now extinct. Two smaller islands, the Rayid Islands, are located around 30km to the north-east. There is a smaller settlement, Kaghey, on these eastern islands and an oil terminal and refinery is located here and on offshore rigs.

Oil, petroleum products and natural gas are the main exports. Major export markets are Kėzėpölān and other southern Antarephian countries, along with other federated members of OIOI and Gobrassanya. The oilfields are located north-east of the island group. The western islands support some of the largest seabird colonies in the southern hemisphere including large colonies of the Mariner's Albatross (Diomedea galbedun). The endemic Dordun Rockhopper Penguin (Eudyptes chrysocome dordun) has colonies on both of the western islands and is recovering from severe 20th century population declines.

Discovered by Ulethan mariners in 1647, in the 18th and 19th centuries the islands were briefly claimed by Ulethan colonisers from various countries including Ingerland and Ionadàlba. Due to the islands' isolation and lack of resources they were not settled and remained as de-facto independent and effectively unclaimed territories throughout the 19th century. Whalers from Østermark based themselves on the islands for a number of years in the late 19th century while whaling in the Southern Oceans. In 1888, Utz-speaking settlers from Kėzėpölān established a small settlement on the western islands, giving the islands the names they now carry. This village was subsumed into later settlements and no longer exists. In the late 19th and early 20th century members of the Zurhkan and Zŵpā tribes made their way to the islands in small boats, fleeing from violence on the Anterephian mainland. A number of settlements were established on the islands in this period. Colonial rule was effectively ended through diplomatic negotiations in 1904. Today, both of the larger islands are mainly inhabited by descendants of Köpā tribes-people who settled on the islands in the late 19th century. Ēgdo has been a member of the Organisation of Independent Oceanic Islands OIOI since 1955. Oil was discovered on the continental shelf east of the islands in 1967.

In 1984 the first (and to date only) island-wide referendum was held, which gave a strong mandate to the continuance of the current governing system of local judicial administration with international relations dealt with through OIOI. Suffrage was given to all residents over the age of 15. Today, the islands are inhabited mainly by members of the Zurhkan and Zŵpā ethnic groups. The oil refinery and town of Kaghey has a more cosmopolitan population with Uÿuŧė (Utzudi) speakers strongly represented along with Mahhalians and other nationalities.