|7, -3.294, 2.274|
|United Freedemian Union|
"In Christ is Our Strength"
In Christ is Our Strength
Crown Him With Many Crowns
|Capital||Quentinsburgh, QT (4.6 million)|
|Largest city||Quentinsburgh, QT (4.6 million)|
|Official languages||Freedemian (an Ingerish dialect), Latinian, Freedemian Sign Language|
|Nationalities||largely Freedemian, international|
|• President||Angela Rosenthal|
|• Vice President||Patrick Houser|
|Legislature||Freedemian Tricameral Legislature|
|• Upper house||House of Populus House of Equal Representation|
|• Lower house||House of Decisions|
|• Per capita||$55734|
|• Per capita||$53289|
|Currency||Freedin, symbol f`|
|Drives on the||right|
- 1 History
- 2 Geography
- 3 People
- 4 Culture
- 5 Education
- 6 States
- 7 Major Cities
- 8 Holidays
- 9 National Flag
- 10 Currency
- 11 Economic Policies
- 12 Climate
- 13 Governmental System
- 14 Presidents and Vice Presidents
- 15 Governmental Agencies
- 16 Military
- 17 Industry
- 18 Transportation
- 19 Communication
Freedemia has been a constitutional democratic republic for several years, ever since it's founding on July 7th, 1792 (National Day). Quentinsburgh became the capital of the growing nation of Freedemia in 1806, the year the United Freedemian Union officially organized the official government system.
Colonization of Freedemia and Nature
...In 1540, Ingerish explorers... more to come
Developing as an "independent territory"
...Over about two decades between initial settlement and the modern creation of the nations, as the area became more independent and self sustainable, the area began to establish governments and such...
Becoming a nation
...Nature decided to not become a part of Freedemia, which was established as a separate nation around the same time.
Freedemia is a medium-to-small nation in size. Many major cities are located on the western coast or near the western center of the country. The far east section of the U.F.U. is home to some major cities, but the central part of the country is mostly forests and mountains and is home to very little population, other than along the U-4 corridor. The eastern central part is home to lots of forests and woodlands.
There is a triangular autonomous nation at the northwest corner of Freedemia known as the Autonomous Province of Nature. While not officially part of Freedemia, relations between the U.F.U. and Nature are very close.
Freedemia has a very diverse population, and discrimination is extremely low. Population is about 93% mixed beyond distinction. As for religion, About 72% of the nation are professing nondenominational Christians, while 9% are Messianic Jews and 18% other (about 83% of the other are those who believe in God but aren't professing Christians), there is a high level of religious understanding among the citizens and the government. Language is generally not a large barrier. Most citizens speak Freedemian or Latinian, as well as Freedemian Sign Language. Braille is also being better incorperated.
Freedemia is a country with much culture in various forms.
Art and Music
Freedemia has a very strong heritage in art and music. Freedemian Jazz, gospel, and in the past, classical music are very strong and famous worldwide. The National Freedemian Symphony is one of the best in Tarephia. Nearly 72% of the urban Freedemian population goes to plays and/or symphonies at least once a year. Freedemia is known for their landscapes in art as well.
Freedemia is also the unofficial world's capital for clean, family appropriate movies, which are extremely popular. Home to Betterview Pictures and several other international clean family movie companies in Lollywood, Laneston, family movies such as Andy the Sock Puppet and Twin Titans 2 tend to originate from within Freedemia.
Freedemia is known for keeping food simple, but delicious. Food there isn't that ridiculously fancy, but still quite delicious. They are known for their quality cheeseburgers (not the beef/turkey itself, but the meal) and their bake-fried chicken. They are also known for widespread turkey and beef substitutions that taste just as good or better than their equivalent meats. (Turkey as substitute for beef, beef or turkey as pork substitutions). Pork is not very popular in Freedemia. Freedemian BBQ is quite popular and generally consists of beef or chicken. Chicken and egg products are huge in Freedemian food, as are lamb products (especially moreso after gaining closer relations with Woolonia) and rice products, since rice is grown in the region. One common meal involves lamb, chicken, rice, peppers and squash, known as Pepper Squash Chicken Lamb. The tropical environment makes it convenient to grow tropical fruits, such as the Freedemian Turtlefruit, a fruit closely related to the pineapple but with an outside that resembles a turtle shell and a slightly greener interior, and the Freedemian huevomango, a mostly whitish-reddish mango that mainly grows in Freedemia.
Freedemia is relatively technologically advanced. Being a first world country, it is home to most if not all of the modern comforts of life. However, the nation has not been a leader in innovation for the last couple years. Major universities are currently attempting to catch up and excel beyond other advanced nations, with more plans to partner with national and international tech companies to help students get an edge. President Angela Rosenthal is currently working on a plan to help Freedemia once again become a leader in innovation and technology known as the Technology Innovation Initiative. However, large companies like Stepstone Technology leading in fields like computing and engineering worldwide have emerged in recent times, showing Freedemia is coming back into the tech game.
Freedemia is known in part for its strong family values. While the Freedemian government understands not all families are the same, (single parents, parents with children, guardians, etc) huge efforts are made to make sure that, as much as possible, all residents, especially children 18 and under and parents, have access to a good supportive family. Verbal and Physical abuse are NOT Tolerated, and while Freedemia does not currently have a death penalty, all abuse related crimes (any physical and/or repetivive continuous verbal) are treated with the same intensity as a murder case (top level felony), although with more investigation to make sure said abuse occurred. However, Freedemia does not frequently have these issues due to the strong underlying culture of family values. Family Day is a holiday celebrated June 12th to commemorate good family values.
Freedemia values those who serve their country. However, within Freedemia, that means much more than military (though it does include military). Everything from service related industries like military, police and firefighters to education fields like teaching to a person helping to better his or her own small community to a missionary who went to smaller communities within the nation and without are seen as way to serve the country and the world. This was the reasoning behind Honorary Day, a national holiday celebrated on April 29th to honor people who have passed away but who have bettered their community, their country, and the world. Quentinsburgh is planning a huge Honorary monument for those remembered. One consideration was to have at least in one spot an electronic screen to show some names (since there are a lot of people who have died who have bettered their community greatly).
Faith and Christianity
Freedemia does not have a national religion, and there is a reasonable separation between church and state. However, Christianity and Biblical values are very strong parts of Freedemia's culture. Churches are generally non-denominational and based solely off of the Bible and relationship with Jesus Christ. This is more of a cultural thing, not a governmental or legal thing, as it is understood that every individual has to make said decisions for themselves and cannot have it forced on them. A very large amount of the nation self-identify as non-denominational Christians or Messianic Jews. (Obviously, this does not include everyone living in the nation.) Biblical values are understood as good guidance for life and society by most. Freedemia is not in any way a secular society, although still strongly a democracy accepting of different cultures and beliefs but founded on Christian values (in contrast to a complete theocracy).
In Freedemia, education from elementary school (at least starting with grade 1) to high school (ending with grade 12 or grade 13 depending on program) is mandatory for all students, with the exception of those who choose to join the military into high school. However, education beyond that (college, university, trade school) is optional.
In Freedemia, students are encouraged to look to go farther than just graduation from high school. Often this means seeking a higher degree at a college or university, but it can also mean simply having goals and working hard to meet those goals. Not every student is expected to go to college, but for those who are strongly looking at a degree, there is an effort to make it as simple and affordable as possible for them to attend a university. As almost all universities are part of a national system of colleges funded locally and federally known as NUSF (National University System of Freedemia), the Freedemian Government is able to provide grants, scholarships, work study opportunities and the occasional loan through a program called HEFFA (Higher Education Federal Financial Aid) through an application called the FAEFFA (Free Application for Educational Federal Financial Aid).
The U.F.U. consists of 11 states:
- Quentins (abbreviated QT, capital at Quentinsburgh)
- Graham (abbreviated GR, capital at Graham City)
- Franklins (abbreviated FR, capital at Franklinsburgh)
- Trenchent (abbreviated TR, capital at Trenchent (City))
- Reeds (abbreviated RD, capital at Laneston)
- Anneita (abbreviated AN, capital at Anneitasburgh)
- North (abbreviated NT, capital at Norfield)
- Henshaw (abreviated HS, capital at Henshawtown)
- Guijarros (abbreviated GJ, capital at San Guijarros)
- Savvenah (abbreviated SV, capital at Savvenahsburgh)
- Wellsylvania abbreviated WS, capital at Wellsburgh)
Quentins and Franklins are the most populated, while Wellsylvania is the least populated.
The Capital of the U.F.U. and largest coastal city is Quentinsburgh, with suburbs of Highfield, etc. Quentinsburgh is the capital of the territory of Quentins.
Some Major Cities Include:
- Lake Grander
- Graham City
- Trenchent (City)
- Los Lago
- San Guijarros
There are many major national holidays within the U.F.U.
- National Day- July 7th, commemorating the founding of the U.F.U. People given the day off from work or school; if on a weekend people given following Monday off.
- Resurrection Day- April 2nd, celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ
- Honorary Day- April 29th, like a Memorial Day for all people who lived and/or died in the service of others, including but not limited to police, firefighters and military. People given the day off from work or school; if on a weekend people given following Monday off.
- Family Day- June 12th, centered around family quality time and family values. People given the day off from work or school; if on a weekend people given following Monday off.
- Wholesome Day- February 14th, celebrating wholesomeness and plain old clean fun.
- Christ's Day-December 21st, celebrated as the birth of Jesus Christ.
- Family Feast Day- November 30th. This was originally Thanks Day, but as people are supposed to give thanks every day the holiday eventually turned into a day for celebrating family and food. Most families eat lamb roast for Family Feast Day.
- New Years Eve- celebrating the New Year, people give each other gifts at the stroke of midnight.
- New Years Day- celebrating the New Year, people give each other gifts at the stroke of midnight. People given the day off from work or school; if on a weekend people given following Monday off.
- Voting Day- second Monday in October the year before the elections go into effect (so in other words, the 2014 election was done in October 2013), national holiday, people given the day off from work and school to assure maximum voter turnout.
- Halfway Day- June 15th, celebrating making it halfway through the year.
Freedemia redesigned their flag in August 2015, simplifying the overall design but keeping the basics constant. The three stars represent the Holy Trinity (Father, Son, and Holy Ghost) and the F stands for Freedemia.
Pledge of Allegiance
"I pledge allegiance to the flag
Of the United Freedemian Union
And to the Savior in whom we stand
One Nation Under Christ
Indivisible with Love and Justice for all."
The Flag that Almost Was...
When Freedemia was originally deciding on a flag, the founding fathers and mothers' first idea was to have a star for each state. At one point, this would have worked perfectly- at the time, it was thought that Nature would become the twelfth state, which would have created a neat 3 by 4 grid of stars on the flag. However, Nature declined to become a state and became an autonomous nation, leaving Freedemia with only 11 states. To make this look as aesthetically pleasing as possible, they removed the top central star from the flag.
However, as debate continued over whether the eleven star flag looked good enough, and other scattered proposals were suggested, founding mother Jane Graham Franklinson suggested a much simpler flag, one that better reflected how the nation was founded on a mutual belief in Christ among the founders. Franklinson's idea was to simply add 3 stars, representing the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit. The other founding fathers and mothers agreed, and that led to the flag Freedemia has today.
Freedemia uses the Freedin, or Freedemian Dollar.(symbol f`) Bills come in f`1, f`2, f`3, f`5, f`10, f`15, f`20, f`25, f`50, and f`100 Freedin bills. Coins come in fc2, fc5, fc10, and fc25 (fc is Freedin Coin.)
Freedemia has been offering universal parental leave since 2000. Upon having a new child, each parent gets about 26 weeks of paid minimum wage parental leave, provided jointly by taxpayer money and by the employers, with the guarantee that the parents will have the choice to return to their same job for the same pay. For people employed by companies that qualify as "small businesses" by government standards, the government (through taxes) payes 85% and the business pays 15%, for larger businesses this shifts to 65% and 35%, and for corporations like Franklin's LLC and Stepstone Technology, this flips so that taxes pay 35% and the company pays 65%.
Due to its location directly along the equator, Freedemia has a very hot and humid tropical climate, with summer and spring high temperatures generally falling between 80 and 110 degrees F and 'winter' (though not seeing a significant difference) temperatures varying between about 60 and 90 degrees F.
Harsh Rains and Flooding
The strongest weather phenomenons throughout the year are harsh summer/fall monsoon style rains that can cause extreme flooding. In 2002, the U.F.U saw an unusual amount of rain, flooding the Trenchent/San Grande area.
Tropical Clothing, Barechested Equality, and Nudism
Due to the extremely hot weather and the equatorial location of the nation, the clothing of the region tends to match the climate. Freedemian clothing tends to be very thin and often airy. Most of the time people of both genders only wear one layer of clothing, and undergarments are rare. Barechestedness for both genders and nudism/naturism are also both legal, accepted, and very common nationwide. The modesty of the culture and the intensity of the climate mean general acceptance of the aforementioned overall clothing style.
Because clean nudity is so accepted in Freedemia, tourism is a large part, as people come from around the world to enjoy the clothing optional beaches and the beautiful parks. However, Laneston and Vandover see the majority of these tourists.
Electing Presidents and Vice Presidents
The Constitutional Democratic Republic that is the United Freedemian Union has a very unique governmental election system for electing their presidents and Vice Presidents. First, the people nominate approximately 50 candidates for either. The non-affiliated Freedemian Funding Party will narrow that group down to 5 candidates and the "Party" funds those candidates' campaigns. Then people choose by popular vote out of those five candidates and the top two candidates will have a runoff for popular vote. The one who wins will be President and second place is Vice President. (The FFP is not like the Democratic or Republican Parties, its sole responsibilities are to narrow down candidates to those who have the country's best interest in mind, to fund the campaigns, and to oversee the popular vote.) This method also makes sure one group is not fully in control and forces candidates from different backgrounds to work together.
Due to the uniqueness of this election process, presidential candidates are allowed to come in the top two (president or vice president) four times and to become president three times. Situations where the president dies and the vice president has to take over do not count as additional terms, solely as a continuation of the last one.
To run for President or Vice President, one must be 21 years of age and a citizen.
While Freedemia's voting process was always like this, there was a period between its founding and 1956 that there were unofficial political parties that largely were each based off of a set of beliefs, or "platform", that had nothing to do with funding. However, after funding came into the picture and this caused trouble, an amendment to the Freedemian Constitution eliminated political parties once and for all. Under Amendment 13 of the Freedemian Constitution, ratified in the 1950s after a significantly more partisan period in Freedemian politics created issues, political parties and ‘implied political parties’ that contain groups of politicians and their supporters working together for a specific political agenda and providing funding for members who work to further said agenda are explicitly banned within Freedemia.
The Tricameral Legislature
The Freedemian Legislature consists of three houses, one based off population (House of Populus); one based off of equal representation (House of Equal Representation) where each state gets 3 representatives; and one where each state gets one candidate to make decisions over whether a decision should be made based on the country as a whole or as individual states (House of Decisions). There are some situations that one house or the other is chosen to do the vote depending on whether a representation of the entire population or a representation of each individual's states' choices is needed. This decision can be made by the House of Decisions, though the judicial branch or the president can revert the decision to have both the House of Populus and the House of Equal Representation vote on a decision.
House of Populus
The house of Populus' duty is primarily to make decisions that reflect the needs and desires of the population of the nation as a whole. Each state elects Poplators based off populations with a minimum of 2 poplators per state. Quentins, Reeds, Franklins, and Trenchent have 6 each, Graham has 5, Anneita and Savvennah have 4, Guijarros and North have 3 and Henshaw and Wellsylvania have two, for a total of 47. (24 votes is a majority.)
House of Equal Representation
The House of Equal Representation's primary duty is to make decisions that reflect the needs and desires of each state individually when making nationwide decisions. Each state elects three Representatives by popular votes. There are 33 Representatives. (17 is a majority.)
House of Decisions
The House of Decisions' only duties are 1) to choose whether or not a decision needs to be voted on by both the House of Populus and the house of Equal Representation, or whether a decision needs to be specialized for states and go to the House of Equal Representation only or needs to be made for the entire country and go to the House of Populus, 2) whether something needs to go to the citizens for a vote and 3) to decide whether a topic is big enough to be decided on the national level or whether it should remain in the states individually. Only one Decisor comes from each state, elected by popular votes. There are 11 Decisors. (6 is a majority.)
The Judicial Branch (a.k.a. Freedemian National Court) consists of one elected official from each of 5 regions (including different states) and five people chosen by the president and verified by the House of Equal Representation. One tiebreaker will be chosen by the House of Equal Representation. Judges change every 8 years (2 terms).
- North Coastal Region- Quentins and Reeds States
- South West Region- Graham, Guijarros, and Trenchent States
- Franklins Central Region- Franklins and North States
- East Region- Anneita and Savvenah States
- East Central Region- Henshaw and Wellsylvania States
Checks and Balances
There are several ways each branch of the government keeps the others in check.
- Executive Branch:
- Power against Legislative Branch
- Can veto decisions made in the House of Populus or the House of Equal Representation
- Can turn down decisions made by the House of Decisions over which House should vote on an issue
- Power against Judicial Branch
- Appoints 5 out of 11 main judges
- Legislative Branch:
- Power against Executive Branch
- Can impeach President
- Can overturn Presidental decisions (House of Populus, House of E.R.)
- Can bring Presidentian decisions to a vote (House of Decisions)
- Power against Judicial Branch
- Verify President's five choices for judges
- Chooses tiebreaker judge (judge 11, only votes when necessary)
- Judicial Branch
- Power against Executive Branch
- Can rule Presidential decisions unconstitutional
- Power against Legislative Branch
- Can rule decisions made in the House of Populus or the House of Equal Representation unconstitutional
- Can turn down decisions made by the House of Decisions over which House should vote on an issue
- The Citizens
- Power against Executive Branch
- Votes for President and Vice President
- Power against Legislative Branch
- Votes for legislators
- Power against Judicial Branch
- Votes for 5 out of 11 judges
Amending the Constitution
Amendments to the Freedemian Constitution requires approval by both the Legislature and the Judicial Branch as well as occasionally the general public, depending on the choices made by the House of Decisions.
- 1- The amendment is proposed in either House of Populus or the House of Equal Representation (legislature).
- 2- The amendment is properly worded in whichever House it originates in, and the Final Draft moves on.
- 3- The amendment is voted on in whichever House it originated in. 55% approval needed. (26 in Populus, 18 in Equal Representation)
- 4- The amendment is voted on in the other House. 55% approval needed. (26 in Populus, 18 in Equal Representation)
- 5- The amendment is sent to the Judicial Branch, where it is declared Constitutional or Unconstitutional by the judges. (All judges included in process, including #11- tie breaker.)
- 6- The amendment is sent to the House of Decisions, where it is decided whether the amendment needs to go to the citizens for a vote or not.
IF SENT TO THE PEOPLE FOR A VOTE...
- 6b- The people vote on the amendment at the next election, 51% approval needed. Skip this step if the amendment was not sent to the people for a vote.
- 7- The amendment is officially part of the Freedemian Constitution.
Presidents and Vice Presidents
- 1806- James Franklinson (president, F) and Cynthia McFoster (vice president, F) Franklinson was the husband of founding mother Jane Graham Franklinson. Both were very important to the founding of Freedemia and the establishment of a modern government.
- -In general, the founding mothers and fathers all considered themselves part of the Freedemian Party. While this was technically not a political party until 1818, the name came from the historical context surrounding the decision to become a country. When considering whether to become a country seperate from Ingerland in the late 1700's and early 1800s, people began to categorize under two main groups, the "Freedemian Party", which wanted full independence from Ingerland (while most wanted to continue good relations with the Ingerish) and the "Loyalist Party", which supported staying part of Ingerland (some even wanted more direct connections, as the territory had become quite independent from Ingerland's leadership which had taken the laissez-faire approach).
- 1814- Harriet Elman (president, F) and Deanna McCutthers (vice president, F) First female president and all female ticket (although in Freedemia this was not considered strange or out of the ordinary)
- 1818- Deanna McCutthers (president, C) and Kevin Garner (vice president, C) 1818 was the rise of the Conservative Party, as McCutther (who had originally ran alongside Elman in 1814) found herself with several policy differences, choosing to run against her in 1818. While runners up always became the VP, candidates didn't begin running without a "running mate" until the 1834 election.
- 1826- Henry Lubin (president, F) and Charity Torffe (vice president, C)
- 1829- Charity Torffe (president, C) and Keith Schleifer (vice president, C)
- 1834- Keith Schleifer (president, C) and Marcus Levin (vice president, F)
- 1842- John Nillon (president, C) and Theodore Whitla (vice president, F)
- 1850- Peter Rosenthal (president, F) and Serena Schleifer (vice president, F)
- 1858- Coby Dower (president, C) and George Whitla (vice president, F)
- 1862- Calvin Coulson (president, C) and Coby Dower (vice president, F)
- 1870- Rose MacMahon (president, C) and Jasmine Grey (vice president, C)
- 1878- Dwight Neuman (president, F) and Algenia Dreyser (vice president, C)
- 1886- John G. Graham (president, C) and Elroy McMathers (vice president, F)
- 1894- Joseph Johnson (president, F) and William Wenthall (vice president, C)
- 1898- William Wenthall (president, C) and Christian Duncan (vice president, C)
- 1902- William Wenthall (president, C) and Linus Frellworth (vice president, F)
- 1906- Regina Fredinald (president, I) and Frieda Yristinova (vice president, I) 1906 was the first (and technically only) year two Independents beat out all of the other candidates. Fredinald had been Secretary of Domestic Security for about a decade, and was well known and well liked, so she easily had a strong following. As for the other parties, Fennerson Shrubell (C) almost got the vice presidential spot, but fourth place Jared Qubert of the newly established Nationalist party would take away just enough votes for Yristinova (I), a Poplator from Franklins state, to take second place. The Freedemian party actually didn't enter a presidential candidate, as Linus Frellworth would face serious health issues; the party endorsed Fredinald, which may have contributed to her rise.
- 1914- Fredrick Sanders (president, N) and Fennerson Shrubell (vice president, C) Sanders, a former FIB director, helped make the Nationalist party a major player. Jared Qubert had gotten 4th place in 1906, but that had been the closest they had gotten. Unfortunately Sanders would get sick two years in, and Qubert would run again and allow the party to lose the presidency.
- 1916- Fennerson Shrubell (president, C) and Jared Qubert (vice president, N) Shrubell, originally relatively unpopular, got a big boost from Sanders' illness, as he was more popular than Qubert, his new opponent. A young Nelson Silva from the Conservative party would put up a strong fight and come in a close third, but wouldn't see success until the next two elections.
- 1920- Gerald Darden (president, N) and Nelson Silva (vice president, FC) For the Freedemian, Conservative and Freedemian Centrist Parties, this was the worst possible time to split the vote. In the midst of a time where much of the world was on the verge of war, Freedemia managed to vote in the only president in their nation's history who was an interventionalist. A brash man who believed Freedemia needed to show the world who was boss, actually wanted to go to war, and made many attempts beyond his power to push the nation in. Only the power of the courts and the legislature kept him from succeeding. This was also one of the most divided administrations in the nation's history, as Silva was one of Darden's most vocal opposers. Darden's horrific term basically marked the death of the Nationalist party, as the sane members basically jumped ship, mostly to the Conservative Party. This also marked the rise of the Freedemian Centrist party, which was basically a party with moderate positions from both the Freedemian and Conservative parties.
- 1924- Nelson Silva (president, FC) and Henry A. Parnell (vice president, F) Silva, having had been the strongest voice against Darden and his antics, was easily elected president in 1924. Henry A. Parnell, relatively new to politics, actually ran after his wife Jennifer, a much more active politician, chose to drop out of the race in 1923 due to having their third child. Henry jumped in the race with his wife's platform, and managed to barely win VP. His wife would be VP just four years later. Silva's presidency was largely uneventful but was highly esteemed due to Silva appearing as the face of sanity and stability after Gerald Darden's presidency.
- 1928- Anthony C. Segani Sr. (president, FC) and Jennifer Parnell (vice president, F)- Segani was a very popular president, elected to three terms. He was considered one of the best presidents in history, and who helped keep Freedemia stable during and after times of international instability. Parnell (wife of Henry A. Parnell) decided not to run for president, as she would have only been eligible for one term if elected.
- 1940- Clarence Bond (president, FC) and Anthony J. Segani Jr. (vice president, C)- About half liked. Bond didn't do too much during their first four years, but was considered a good president as a whole and was easily reelected over Donald Laenstern (I), who was seen as too brash and against many of the values Freedemians found important. Voters chose 4 more years of not much change over what they saw as "selling out on their values". This actually helped contribute to the election of Heinz Doofenschmidt (TSP) in 1948, as Doof portrayed himself as the "man who can" and who would get things done. (Segani Jr. Was well liked, but did not live up to his father's presidency.)
- 1948- Heinz Doofenschmidt (president, TSP) and Stanford Flynn (vice president, I)- considered Freedemia's quirkiest president, was a huge proponent of the Tri-State Plan and the only Tri-State Party member ever elected for a major office. Doofenschmidt is famous for the Tri-State Scandal, when he passed an executive order making himself the "Executive Ruler of the Quentins-Reeds-Trenchent Tri-State Area". The act was deemed unconstitutional and he was almost impeached. Doof was not reelected, but still well liked.
- 1952- Sean Bond (president, FC) & Oliver Slaney (vice president, I)- Son of Clarence Bond and former Trenchent State Executive, generally well regarded. They were large parts of creating modern infrastructure throughout Freedemia, including putting plans into action for modern metro systems, Unionways and Motorways, and larger airports like the now Sean Bond International Airport, which would be completed by the Richard Kennedy administration. Was president for 3 terms. Pushed for the banning of political parties during a time that political parties were dividing the country and helped get Amendment 13 added to the Freedemian Constitution. Bond also helped slowly put into motion Freedemia's climb to global relevance, as previous administrations (except for Gerald Darden) focused more on the nation individually and didn't focus very much on connections with the world.
- -All candidates beyond this point are Independents, as political parties are banned by Amendment 13.
- 1964- Richard Kennedy (president) & Jane Phillips (vice president)
- 1972- Candace Putnam (president) & Perry Tyler (vice president) Tyler would later become vice president again under Terrance Cruise, though he would never win the presidency. He tried again in 1994, but failed. Tyler later retired to become a political instructor at QSU (Quentins State International University).
- 1976- Walter Sanderson (president) & Terrance Cruise (vice president) Sanderson was often considered the best president in Freedemia's history. Died in office from natural causes in 1982, halfway through his second term. A monument for Sanderson is in planning in Quentinsburgh.
- 1982- Terrance Cruise (president) & Perry Tyler (vice president)- helped improve trade with other nations. Cruise and Tyler were some of the first after Sean Bond to look at how globalization could be a benefit to Freedemia and act more on global economics and foreign policy.
- 1990- Andrew Ames (president) & Sarah Gerbertson (vice president)- Two of the most successful leaders in Freedemia's history. Helped improve Freedemia internally to what it is today by focusing on domestic policy.
- 1994- Sarah Gerbertson (president) & Andrew Ames (vice president)- An interesting first- same administration as 1992, but switched- Gerbertson won the presidency and Ames came in second. Both helped create many infrastructure jobs and improved healthcare/the economy.
- 1998- Harris Graham (president) & Robert Kenderson (vice president)- Started an eight year period of some unusually liberal leadership. Graham was seen as one of the few presidents who didn't have values that lined up with those of most Freedemians. Quite unpopular, he was easily voted out; however, he and Robert Kenderson actually "rigged" the 2002 election by trying to appear as bitter rivals.
- 2002- Robert Kenderson (president) & Marco Nelson (vice president)- Only won one term due to his strange ideas, taking the mentality created in 1998 by Graham even further. He and Harris Graham actually "rigged" the election by trying to appear as bitter rivals. Kenderson pretended to have different stances on everything from Graham until getting elected, when he flipped everything back over. Kenderson's largest "achievement" was making nudism universally legal, though that would not be verified and backed up by the courts until Angela Rosenthal's Amendment 30. Both Graham and Kenderson were later charged with corruption.
- 2006- Cara Harolds (president) & Anne Redsten (vice president)- Considered one of Freedemia's best presidents. Undid all the issues created by Kenderson. She decided not to run again in 2014. Under Harolds many new embassies were opened up in Quentinsburgh and in other countries as the nation emerged as an international force and global player.
- 2014- Angela Rosenthal (president) & Tom Morganson (vice president)- Freedemia's current president and recently retired vice president. Taking a more global approach, helping improve relations and industry between Freedemia and other nations, while working to make Freedemia more competitive in industry and technology.
- 2016- Angela Rosenthal (president) & Patrick Houser (vice president)- Tom Morganson abruptly retired upon learning of his granddaughter's recent diagnosis with early stage brain cancer. In a quick replacement election, newscaster Patrick Houser beat former VP Marco Nelson, former VP Anne Redsten, and teacher Diane Wooten-Whitaker.
- to be expanded in near future
- Freedemian Investigation Bureau (FIB)- Despite the acronym, it's really not a good idea to lie to the FIB, as they can put you in federal prison.
- Freedemian Intelligence Agency (FIA)-
- Department of Domestic Security (DDS)-
- Freedemian Security Agency (FSA)-
- Administration of Food, Drink and Medicinals (AFDM)- Also regulates supplements.
- Disease and Illness Control Administration (DICA)-
- Family Defense Agency (FDA)- Protects families (more to come)
- Department of Labor
Freedemia is a pacifist society and does not have an exploratory military. While Freedemia has a strong military (for defense purposes) that employs hundreds of thousands of people, (luckily) the country has never had to act in a militaristic manner. Freedemia has never been to war. The military acts much more as a "national guard” than anything- helping to keep Freedemian citizens safe in emergencies and acting when something is big enough to need government backup but small enough that a full blown attack would not be an occurrence.
However, the military does have the power to act if necessary (with governmental approval). The Freedemian military is known as the Freedemian Guard, and is separated into three branches, the Freedemian Naval Forces, Freedemian Airborne Forces, and the Freedemian Land Forces.
Freedemia is home to several large industries, including nickel and aluminum mining, hydroponic farms and aquaculture (sustainable produce and seafood industries) and popular Freedemian Green-headed chickens, chickens that are more adapted to humid climate and tend to lay larger eggs.
Nickel and Aluminum Mining
Nickel Mining are big industries in the Guijarros region of Freedemia. Nickel and Aluminum is usually mined through strip mining. Nickel and Aluminum are two of the main natural resources (other than wood from the non-protected areas of Henshaw and Wellsylvania States and surrounding areas) most exported from Freedemia. Freedemia is a large contributor to the global nickel and aluminum economies.
With hydroponic farming, Freedemia can cultivate not only local fruits and vegetables native to the region, but they can also grow fruits and veggies from different climates. This also takes up much less space, as they are generally grown in greenhouse-like buildings.
Rice farming is very big in Freedemia, largely because of the humid wet environment. Rice farms are very common in North State, and are generally grown on terraced hillsides.
The Trenchent and San Grande area, due to their location alongside Lake Trenchent, are huge homes of the Aquaculture industry. Aqua farming for seafood is big in this region of Freedemia, and freshwater fish are quite abundant in Lake Trenchent. Many are aquafarmed in the natural lake itself, while other types, largely saltwater fish and oysters and such, are aquafarmed in places specially made to simulate an ocean environment.
Freedemia is the natural home of the green-headed chicken, also known as Gallus verdus. The chickens are better suited to survive in humid weather and are known for having larger eggs than their normal domestic equivalent. Freedemia has succeeded in domesticating these abundant chickens, and help provide chicken to nearby countries.
The UFU has a large system of interstate-like freeways known as Unionways and other major freeways known as Motorways. The United Freedemian Union Department of Transportation is currently working on a new signage standard that makes the freeways bilingual (Freedemian/Ingerish and Latinian).
Unionways are wide interstate freeways that connect different cities and always have limited access. As pictured below, they are signed with blue and green shields. Unionways are identified with the letter "U" before route numbering (ex. U-4 , U-7 , etc.)
West Coast Bypass Tollway/ TOLL U-3
The only exception is the Unionway 3 tollway, which was mostly downgraded to a Motorway during construction, but retained the U-3 name and insignia due to it being a tollway and a direct line from Nature to other major cities in Freedemia while bypassing coastal traffic from Laneston/Vandover, Quentinsburgh, and other major cities on the west coast. It still has no intersections on the actual route, which technically makes it eligible to be a Unionway.
Motorways are large freeways that are often limited access but not always. As pictured below, they are signed with green shields. Motorways are identified with the letter "M" before route numbering (ex. M-13 , M-34 , etc.).
As pictured below to the right, any road or bridge, public or private, that requires a toll is required to use the federally mandated Toll signage, basically just a red rectangle with "TOLL" in large letters in all caps. (ex. TOLL ) This way, drivers always know before getting on a freeway if there is a toll. Freedemia is increasing the amount of tolls around the country, especially within major cities where public transit acts as a reasonable alternative. Freedemia is considering putting more tolls on more long distance national freeways as rail infrastructure improves along major corridors.
Freedemian highways and even major streets tend to have uniform signage, mandatory on motorways and unionways but sometimes optional on other roads. Most signs, as pictured above, are white with gold trim, although signs about destinations or less urgent things like restaurants, gas stations, etc are usually all gold. Warning signs are usually yellow or orange with symbols representing what is being warned of, as are detour signs and truck route signage that usually use orange (ex. DETOUR ). In rare cases, signs are yellow with gold trim as a warning.
While Freedemia is very transit centered and has been consistently trying to move away from cars, there are still many fuel stations throughout the country, primarily electricity and natural gas, though gasoline is still offered at most larger stations.
Public Transportation in cities
Larger cities like Quentinsburgh, Graham City and Franklinsburgh have metro systems and large bus systems.
Air, Rail and Intercity Bus
Most major cities and large towns have transit systems to get around within the cities.
The U.F.U. is home to a large rail network kmown as FreedemiRail passenger rail that helps to connect cities across the country. Greenleaf Bus Lines intercity buses also connect major cities within the U.F.U., including cities and towns not accessible by train. The U.F.U. also has a national airline called FreedemiAir (formerly Freedemian National Airlines) that specializes in international flights. Currently there are a number of domestic flights as well, but many of the domestic flights are being slowly phased out as the rail system improves.
Sean Bond International Airport in Quentinsburgh is the primary intercontinental international gateway airport connecting Freedemia to the rest of the world. However, Franklinsburgh International Airport and Vandover-Laneston International Airport also have some international flights.
In Freedemia, phone numbers consist of a three-digit State Code and a seven-digit randomized number. If a state code is simply 000-009, it is a toll-free number. Numbers are only used once with a specific state code, but may be used again in a different state or in the same state with a different state code. (For example, (012)456-1173 and (078)456-1173 may exist at the same time because they have different state codes).