|6, -25.016, 147.085|
|Republic of Mecyna|
"Ta serlepe bäaris"
no text, only a melody
and largest city
|Citta Le Fenico|
|Official languages||Ingerish, Mecynese|
|• Regional languages||Florescentian, Ismikkese|
|Nationalities||Mecynian (77%), Native Mecynese (13%), other (10%)|
|Government||Presidential parliamentary republic|
|• President||Vuato Petaholem|
|• Upper house||Vuocäanico|
|• Lower house||Vuocaberico|
|• Total||$2.983 trillion|
|• Per capita||$39,214|
|• Total||$3.132 trillion|
|• Per capita||$49,324|
|HDI (2012)|| 0.84|
|Currency||Mecynian Vus (MV)|
|Drives on the||right|
The Republic of Mecyna (Mecynese Mesina Vualisha) is located in the centre of the continent of Archanta, on the Mecynian Isthmus between the northern landmass of Archanta Major and the southern landmass of Astrasia, with a land area of 146.286 km². As the distance between the Mecynian Gulf of the White Sea and Gulf of Archanta is only just over 100km at Mecyna, it was a logical place to construct a canal to open up maritime trade routes without having to circumvent Astrasia. The first iteration of the Canal of Mecyna was built in 1887 and it has been expanded several times since. The canal to this day is at the centre of the nation's economy.
Mecyna has 29.544.308 inhabitants according to the census of 2010. The population density is high and the canal zone is urbanised for 85% of its length due to the number of cities and industrial zones built close to it.
The official language is Ingerish, although it is a particularly Mecynian dialect. In addition, Mecynese, a language native to the canal region in precolonial times and still spoken by a minority today, is also official. Castellanese is a common second language due to the heavy Latinian influence on the country.
Government and politics
Mecyna is an presidential parliamentary republic. Each province sends ten members in the Vuocäanico ("senate") (120 members) and the entirety of the country elects 600 members in the Vuocaberico ("parliament"), approximately one for 50.000 inhabitants. The provinces have no parliaments themselves, but many municipalities do. Elections occur every 4 years, but alternate so that every 2 years is an election year: year 2 for the Vuocäanico and municipalities, year 4 for the Vuocaberico and the president of the republic.
Mecyna is divided into 12 provinces (sometimes "states"). The name of the province is normally the name of its capital; only "Northern Wilderness" and "Southern Mountains" have capitals with different names. The national capital has been Citta Le Fenico since 1920 due to its strategic location at the western end of the canal. Before this, the capital was at Escala, which remains an important cultural capital to this day.
- Name: Name of the province
- Capital: Capital town or city
- Tel (1): Telephone-code of the capital town
- Tel (2): Telephone-codes of the province
- Post (1): postal code of the capital town
- Post (2): postal codes of the province
- Car: Code of the motor-car number (i.e. XX - and two letters for the district and a running number)
- Notes: General remarks
|Name||Capital||Tel (1)||Tel (2)||Post (1)||Post (2)||Abb.||Notes|
|Northern Wilderness||----||----||091 - 093||----||910 - 939||NW|
|Gilagonas||Gilagonas||041||042 - 045||410 ff||420 - 459||GS|
|Glotaqua||Glotaqua||046||047 - 049||460 ff||470 - 499||GA|
|Dream||Dream||051||052 - 056||510 ff||520 - 569||DR|
|Sireeny||Sireeny||057||058 - 059||570 ff||580 - 599||SY|
|Le Fenico||Citta Le Fenico||011||012 - 019||110 ff||120 - 199||PH||since 1920 the capital of the land|
|Guntrum||Guntrum||061||062 - 069||610 ff||620 - 699||GU|
|Alexandria||Alexandria||031||032 - 039||310 ff||320- 399||AL|
|Escala||Escala||021||022 - 029||210 ff||220 - 299||ES||til 1920 capital of Mecyna|
|Harca||Harca||071||072 - 075||710 ff||720 - 759||HA|
|Southern Mountains||Silversea||076||077 - 079||760 ff||770 - 799||SM|
|Volopinate||Volopinate||081||082 - 089||810 ff||820 - 899||VO|
|Laurentius||Hosch||----||094 - 096||----||940 - 969||LA|
|Islas||Taquiraqui||----||097 - 099||----||970 - 999||IS|
The construction of the canal started as early as 1056BC. Since then Mecyna has been an important link in trade routes, because of the distance between the White Sea and the Gulf of Archanta being only 100 km. There is evidence from around 1000BC of the transport of goods over the isthmus and trade links with other civilisations at the shores of the Gulf of Archanta such as Singkangia and Balavalonia . In 604 AD the first "brotherhood" of transport-workers and local rulers is known, who built lavish cities and fortifications on the profits and taxes from the trade. As well as the route between seas, north-south trade routes between Karolia, Arataran and Rogolnika to the south passed through the area.
The idea of an international trade route crossing the isthmus was first proposed in the late 16th century by the Ionadàlban Company of Mecyna. The scheme for a series of colonial forts linked by an overland route attracted a number of Ionadàlban investors, who were hoping to emulate the successful colonial interests of countries like Ingerland and Castellán. Throughout the 17th and 18th century a variety of competing interests forged trade routes in the area mostly across the lower-lying part of the isthmus between present-day Phoenix and Alexandria; some other routes to the north and south were also used. In the early nineteenth century railways were built across the isthmus and from Karolia in the north. Alexandria and Phoenix were still comparatively small urban centres at this time, with Escala (at the time the capital) much larger. Escala was also an established port and goods were generally landed here for onward transportation.
The building of a canal across the isthmus had first been mooted as long ago as the seventeenth century, but the topography of the area (there are moderately high hills running down the centre of the country) and the distance required were beyond the technology of the day. With the building of the railway, trade through Mecyna grew, but trains could not carry the volume of goods carried by cargo ships, and new steamships were shortening the competing sea route around Astrasia. It was therefore decided to construct a waterway across the country. Lock technology had reached a stage where larger vessels could be raised to cross the central hills.
The first version of the canal was built in 1887. This canal was only 25m wide and had 12 locks. It ran from Alexandria to the north of Escala. This canal still exists, but today is used only by leisure craft, small cargo ships and barges.
Work on the present-day canal between Alexandria and Citta Le Fenico began in 1903 funded by a number of foreign investors. When opened in 1912 the canal was 60m broad. Beginning 1967 the width of the canal was expanded to 120m, with work finishing in 1984. To facilitate trade, Zylanda Shipping (owned by state of Zylanda) paid 10% and Porto Colon Interconti (owned by the state of Latina) 12% of construction costs. Because of this, Zylandian and Latinian ships today pay a lower tax to transit the canal.
The canal is 110 km long. The first 30 km from Citta Le Fenico in the west runs along the course of the Targonny River. Thereafter the canal follows its own man-made channel. The first lock is a few kilometers east of the fork with the Targonny River. The canal is 18m above sea-level at this point. Lock #2 is at km 60. The canal here is 35m above sea-level. Lock # 3 is at km 75. The canal here is 51m above sea-level. Here, at the highest level the canal reaches, is a water-reservoir at the end of a special water-canal, ensuring that the main canal will always have enough water. Here the canal goes through the eastern coastal range. Lock # 4 is at km 86. Here the canal goes down to 36m above sea-level. Locks # 5 and 6 (each with a drop of 18m ) are located adjacent to each other in the town of Alexandria, and thereafter the canal runs at sea-level. All bridges over the canal are at least 50m above canal level, so tall ships also can pass through the canal.
Each lock has 6 chambers: 3 of them are 300m long and 3 of them are 150m long. Smaller ships (under 125m) go through the 150m chamber to save water.
Regulated by international agreements, all ships can use the canal with the exception of warships which are bound in war.
Rail transport is operated by Mecynian Rail handling both freight and passengers. The network is comprehensive and includes every significant settlement in the country. There are also metro services in Newport, Guntrum-Alexandria, Citta Le Fenico and Escala.
Football is the most popular sport nationally. Ice hockey and gridiron football are also both very popular in the country.
Both the domestic sides and the national team have found success in competitions, winning the Archanta Cup several times although never winning the World Cup. The men's professional domestic division is known as the Mecyna Football League.
Mecynan have several professional-level Gridiron football teams that play in the Northern Continental Conference of the Archantan Gridiron Football League:
|Phoenix||Phoenices||Jack Holland Stadium map|
|Gilagonas||Mechas||DeLand Arena map|
|Silversea||Southern Stars||Gateway Stadium |
Despite the country's tropical climate, ice hockey became quite popular in the country in the 1960s. As a result, skating rinks are maintained in many cities and there are many professional players and teams.