Sansu Andaros li Apostili
|15, 43.4963967, 135.6244242|
|Sansu Andaros li Apostili|
|• Census (2013)||43,205|
Sansu Andaros li Apostili (Ingerish: Saint Andrew the Apostle) is a qolna on the northern shore of La Kaufama in the capital region of Mauretia. The old part of the city sits only one kilometer from Qolna Mauretana and three kilometers from downtown Iola. It is the historical capital of Mauretia, having served in this capacity to various degrees through 1959.
Sansu Andaros li Apostili was first documented sometime during the Romantish period of Maureti history. It was a small fishing settlement for most of its history until the unification of the Mauro kingdoms under Queen Daya. The hills above the town were chosen by the queen to be the site for her new palace. The location was chosen because of its defensible position, accessibility to almost all major cities and forts via water, and proximity to Iola, which was necessitated under of her annexation compromise.
Different palaces and government buildings were built over the years, but royal decree intentionally kept the city small. The belief was that an isolated area with lower population would be less enticing to attacking powers and therefore pose less risk to key governmental personnel. Sansu Andaros li Apostili was the sole capital until the Logenatisu created parliament in 1533. From that point forward, it remained the home of the royal family but the parliament and courts and many government functions were placed on the islands that became Qolna Mauretana. In only a matter of years, the view domestically and abroad was that Qolna Mauretana was the capital city and not Sansu Andaros. The population-limiting decree was also revoked during this transition. Yet, given its importance only as the monarchial city, the community remained small throughout the early modern periods. The cathedral, along with much of the central city, was destroyed in a fire in 1730. With no need for government facilities away from Qolna Mauretana, a smaller central city and locally-oriented church were built. Between the fire and dispersal, the city lost about 40% of its population, dropping it from about 30,000 people to only 17,000.
When the Great Death outbreak occurred in 1873, the palace and much of the city was evacuated. The disease had claimed the life of Queen Pitra. Her son, Kristoforo, was rushed to Qolna Mauretana to ensure succession. Although he took ill, he did not succumb to the disease. Nevertheless, the grief-stricken monarch never returned to Sansu Andaros li Apostili. Upon his abdication in 1877, King Fedre finally relocated the monarchial residence back to the small city. At the same time, the monarch himself lived during weekdays on the capital island and the weekends with his family in the palace. In 1959, the royal family officially relocated to the recently renovated palace on the capital island for census purposes. This technical change only reflected the reality of the situation. The royal family was only living in Sansu Andaros on weekends or when government was not in session. The monarchy retained the palace above the Sansu Andaros as one of four secondary facilities. Although the royal family no longer "officially" resides at this location; however, it is frequently in use. The heir apparent, when of age, has typically resided there to prevent the entire monarchial lineage from living in a single, potentially vulnerable location. In any given year, the facility is used by at least one member of the royal family as much as 240 days out of the year.
Sansu Andaros li Apostili is a qolna in the province of Massaeya. Despite its small size, it has been a qolna since the administrative distinctions were made in the 1500s. The city has remained one of the smallest qolna by population in the country since the fire in 1730. Historically, however, only a few independent cities ever transitioned from an autonomous qolna to a diocesan city. Given its status as a monarchial residence and geographic position (surrounded by two large qolnam), consolidation into neighboring Iola or Filarʒa has never been entertained.