Instructions for nomination
| To nominate a Featured Article, place a link to the article and add your signature (--~~~~). Example:
Nominations are currently subject to approval by User:Udilugbuldigu of the Featured Content team. If the nomination is approved, it will be deleted here and added to the main list. If no new approved content is available for display, old content may be recycled.
Nominations begin here
- A good little article. The one thing I don't like is the red link to Karamsk.--Udilugbuldigu (talk) 03:10, 5 December 2017 (CET)
This page maybe needs a little more detail added to it (and I admit part of it is somewhere between article and list) but the way it links to the map and the data there is very well thought out.--Udilugbuldigu (talk) 02:44, 30 November 2017 (CET)
- Hello Udi, thank you for your nomination. The article is indeed at a stage between a list and a comprehensive article. I made the last revision in August by trying to automate the feed of the list (I made a Users' diaries entry on that matter) - hence the doubloon for "Diplomatic representations in Guai" section - but Mediawiki functionalities don't seem to allow fetching AND sorting data before populating a table. I've made another try using tags validated by OSM but I'm still not happy with that. I tend now to believe that the only neat solution would be to query the database at given intervals and update manually the original table so that the diplomatic missions are grouped by country, location and so on. Anyway, I'm open to other solutions if they match my needs. By the way, have the rules changes? I thought you were not supposed to nominate your own article?--Aiki (talk) 16:00, 3 December 2017 (CET)
- Yes, it would be good to add a little more detail! However, the nominated articles are meant to be inspiring and that's what I found this article to be. I have been talking with ruadh on making similar lists for countries - see http://wiki.opengeofiction.net/wiki/index.php/Ruadh_sandbox and http://wiki.opengeofiction.net/wiki/index.php/Udilugbuldigu_Sandbox and ruadh pointed me in the direction of your page, which is very useful. If you have a sortable wiki table, is it essential to have the results ordered - anyone can sort them straight off - or am I misunderstanding? Could you use the is_in: tags, to subdivide tables to continents, or regions? And anyone can of course nominate their own article, but I wouldn't recommend it, since its unlikely that an individual would have an unbiased view of something they've written.--Udilugbuldigu (talk) 03:02, 5 December 2017 (CET)
- One additional comment on this: the mediawiki query sorts the data by the i.d. number attached to the relevant node, way or relation. If you wanted to, in theory you could sort a table by i.d. number, say if you had a 'bank' of these stored in the map somewhere (as node, way, relation) - and you'd end up with a bespoke sorted table. More generally, the is_in: tags provide a way to sort by continent, region, etc--Udilugbuldigu (talk) 14:43, 6 December 2017 (CET)
- Hi Udi, you can upload the data into a sortable table when the page itself is being upload, but the results are ordered by node/way/relation ID (that was my main point in the Users' Diary entry). You can sort the results manually but you cannot "group by" the data before populating the table (and pivot table-like display cannot be automatically obtained). My non-so-IT mind sees two possible solutions: set a the proper automatic table, export it (let's say Excel), display the data as desired and paste it in the article or get the data directly from the overpass-turbo. I can't see any fully automated STP solution at the moment.
- This article isn't of the standard of a featured article. It has a number of inconsistencies, its language is vague and unspecific, it makes references to things that have possibly been wikified elsewhere (I don't know) but are unlinked to. It contains some facts that might be interesting, but overall in itself the article is rather boring. To improve it, this is what I'd suggest: some basic attention to detail. For each of the facts in this article you should make an effort to think through why they are there (same applies to your mapping). The most important thing to answer is probably "why" questions: why did anyone do this? why this, why that. If these ideas aren't convincing an article can't be either. You would need to put a lot of effort in to make this a good article, the final stage being a proof read by a native English speaker or equivalent, but I think at the moment you should focus on mapping the detail of this island and its development which may clarify some of your thoughts. A historical map would also be nice - and probably necessary for an article explaining the development of man-made islands.--Udilugbuldigu (talk) 23:19, 29 November 2017 (CET)
- Okay, thanks for the comment Udi! My English grammar isn't that good. But I will expand and improvise the article in the future with all the details. I am just a bit too rush to nominate my own article. I will add more details on the map also, particularly the navy base. Can I also get some references on such 'industrial-like' islands?--Happy mapping and God bless, Zhenkang (talk) 04:57, 30 November 2017 (CET)
- Looking good. I like that you added the saker - for this species, you need open terrain, not woods. But perhaps this was a falcon for the royalty in Litvania? The number of visitors I'm not sure about: the parks area is just over 7km2, is that enough, and wouldn't it be an annual figure, having increased a bit since 1936? You probably need to multiply number of insect species by about 100 to be realistic. It would also be nice to see the whole park mapped, it's not a huge area!--Udilugbuldigu (talk) 22:10, 24 September 2017 (CEST)
- As Udi said, please try to draw more of the park. Your article also uses two photos from sources whose licencing is unclear, I've notified you about a week ago and you still haven't done anything about it. --Eklas (talk) 07:20, 25 September 2017 (CEST)
- At the moment this article is ok, but it doesn't fulfil requirements for a featured article.
- Some more detailed feedback: the article skips over some important details, while focussing on less important ones. For example, firstly, the introduction should say what country this place is in, who lives there (population), how it got its name and its brief history. Next, elaborate some of the important points about the place, like the wine industry and why/how that came about. If you want to go into detail about things, you need to find out more about them so that they make sense. For example, you'd need to know a bit more about the relationship between vines, soil type and geology, as well as topography - and the pictures you use should reflect that. On the map, Johnnyville looks like a Carran suburb, rather than a rural wine producing town, and you should develop things you identify in the article on the map, e.g. vineyards. If there are no abattoirs I can't see how there can be a dairy or meat industry. You mention some other things in the article, like Mount Vasseer, but I can't see this on the map. You need to work a bit on both the map and the article, and links between them, for this to be featured. Hope this is useful feedback.--Udilugbuldigu (talk) 23:07, 29 November 2017 (CET)
Nomination list will be re-ordered periodically by editor to show intended "next-on-queue" at the top of the list.
Note: Nominations in italics are withdrawn but are listed to prevent re-nomination
- Rogolnika --BelpheniaProject (talk) 20:36, 29 June 2015 (CEST)... withdrawn by author's request--Luciano (talk) 04:59, 27 July 2015 (CEST)
- Ruífono --Demuth (talk) 09:47, 3 August 2015 (CEST) ... delayed by author's request--Luciano (talk) 09:01, 21 November 2015 (CET)
- Arksbury International University --Demuth (talk) 09:47, 3 August 2015 (CEST)... withdrawn by author's request - too short--Luciano (talk) 11:03, 21 January 2016 (CET)
- Meridonia --Isleño (talk) 10:59, 4 August 2015 (CEST)... delayed pending further clean-up--Happy mapping - Luciano (talk) 01:38, 18 February 2016 (CET)
- Football Leagues in Cariocas -- Sarepava (talk) Sarepava (talk) 02:14, 17 February 2016 (CET)... delayed pending further clean-up--Happy mapping - Luciano (talk) 01:38, 18 February 2016 (CET)
- Ūdzđąnąrąt--Zhenkang (talk) 11:01, 2 February 2017 (CET)...withdrawn by author's request--Udilugbuldigu (talk) 11:00, 6 February 2017 (CET)
(Rogolnika --Histor (talk) 03:16, 20 February 2015 (CET) ) withdrawn from nomination by author.
We are in need for new articles; otherwise It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to update the main page for the new year ;)Leowezy (talk) 18:37, 31 December 2016 (CET)
I'll do some wiki browsing and see what I can find to nominate. Yuanls (talk) 20:55, 31 December 2016 (CET)