The territories of the Astrasian Confederacy (AR047)∈⊾ are not independent countries. They are territories within the larger Astrasian Confederacy (Franquese: Confédération Astrasienne).
For territory owners here, declaring "independence" isn't an option, so before requesting a territory, please be sure you understand the following points:
- The Astrasian Confederacy has no direct parallel to a real-world nation, although it does take influences from Quebec and other French-speaking areas of Canada. Unlike other collaborative projects nearby such as the Federal States, Ardencia, and Deodeca, the Astrasian Confederacy has a weaker central government (both in-world and at a more "meta" level), with higher degrees of autonomy for each territory.
- Coordination is important, but each territory in the Astrasian Confederacy has more autonomy than other state-based projects like the FSA or Deodeca. Any decisions about shared questions of economy, history, culture, etc, will be discussed as a team, but national-level projects, plans, and initiatives are less common.
- Have fun! This is another very unique project in an active portion of the OGF world and serves as an alternative collaborative project style to other state-based collaboratives.
Why should I join?
While it is not a requirement, mappers familiar with -- and interested in -- French colonial mapping are welcome to join. However, we welcome any mappers who are committed to the vision of the project and looking for a collaborative environment to map in. Additionally:
- you can have more fun working alongside neighbors who share the same goal as you;
- you can experience greater satisfaction seeing your mapping develop as part of this huge megaproject;
- you can help make our world more unique and cohesive to help us seamlessly blend the various cultures of South Archanta; and
- if you claim a territory at the beginning, you can be one of the Founders of the Astrasian Confederacy, which means you get to discuss and vote on interesting stuff, like:
- Names of territory units
("states", "provinces", "commonwealths", etc.)
- National flag
- Names of major rivers
- Names of major lakes
- Names of major mountain ranges
- Name, design, and location of the national capital
- Numbering and naming plan for national freeway system, if desired
- Numbering plan for other national highways, if desired
- Designs for national route shields and signage
- List of famous national historical figures
(as a resource for naming things)
- Names of territory units
How can I claim a province?
Territories may be obtained in several ways:
- a.) Mappers who do not own a territory may request a vacant Astrasian Confederacy territory as their first territory; see: OGF:Territory assignment#North and South Archanta
- b.) Mappers who own a well-developed territory may request a province as their second territory.
- c.) Mappers who wish to move their mapping to AR047 are highly encouraged to do so, by trading in their current territory for a territory in AR047. Technical assistance with the moving process is available.
- d.) Mappers who wish to start over are also welcome, as they are free to relinquish their current territory and request a territory in AR047 instead.
Additionally, Sainte-Agnès∈⊾, a "blue" open-to-all territory, is part of the Confederacy.
The current general regional consensus for the area is as follows; these assumptions were considered as the current plan for the area was created. The details of this history is subject to change as additional mappers join the project.
- The area was widely settled by indigenous "First Nations" peoples prior to colonization. While many different Ulethan nations made initial contact during colonization, the largest and most successful colonies in this area were Franquese. These colonies are assumed to directly influence the modern shape of territories and the nation as a whole.
- Prior to the independence of the Federal States, what is now Ardencia, the Astrasian Confederacy, and interior areas of the Federal States (the Alormen River valley and the Grand Lakes) were claimed by the Franquese.
- As the Federal States expanded west and as the Ingerish abandoned their claims along the eastern seaboard, the Franquese found it more challenging to manage their South Archantan colonies. At some point, Ardencia became independent, and, instead of joining the Ardencians, these five territories formed the Astrasian Confederacy instead.
Unlike other collaborative projects, the Astrasian Confederacy has no central management. Territory owners are still expected to remain active and regularly communicate with each other, but each territory is intended to have a higher degree of autonomy provided mapping remains consistent with the overall themes included herein. Mappers are expected to use the wiki (specifically, this page) to communicate and collaborate.
New users and interested mappers can message TheMayor for more information about the project.