"Mappers mapping with mappers," a featured collaboration project
|"Mappers mapping with mappers" is a monthly community effort to help out in a featured collaborative territory. There are dozens of collaborative territories on OpenGeofiction, which offers a variety of themes, styles, and types of mapping. A featured collaborative gives users the chance to try out different themes and styles, use their skills with certain types of mapping, and help our many collaborative projects continue to move forward. Although mappers are not required to stick with the project beyond the featured window, you may find your participation particularly enjoyable and continue on!|
- Progressing on Natural Mapping: Currently, the areas where natural mapping are being mapped or have been finished constitute 50% of the territory area. By the end of September, we are setting a goal for 75% of the mapping being completed.
- Starting on Regional mapping: A pilot project will be carried out on a province in the north of the country to start carrying out the mapping, at least in a lower scale, of roads, railways, settlements and other areas of interest (natural parks, agricultural areas, wetlands, etc).
- The First Castellanese City: As part of the mapping of that province, we will start mapping its capital, wherever it is decided to be mapped, in the style of a Spanish city of 300k-500k inhabitants.
- Toponymy: It will be encouraged for users to suggests names for features or important people in the country, be it natural or man-made: Cities, towns, mountains, regions, etc. Even if they don’t make it into the map, they might be useful for future developments.
- Symbology: Another goal for the end of the month would be to have the minimum information possible to be able to write a small stub into the wiki article: Requests for flags, coats of arms, etc. will be welcomed.
Additional projects will be added, if things progress well through these tasks.
Information for collab coordinators
If you are collaborative coordinator, you can nominate your project to be a featured project. You must provide a brief statement about what the theme is and offer up options for a variety of work. What you choose to list as potential projects should include natural mapping, smaller towns, some urban mapping, and the ability to do micromapping. How much of these things you choose is up to you. The more diverse pool of opportunities will garner more involvement from the community. Your plan is up to you, consider giving flexibility you give mappers and being open to ideas others may have about projects that could be added during the month. How many would want to be involved may change based on interests, so do not be shy about what you would like to see done in the territory. It is asked that all coordinators map in the collaborative territory at least once during the featured window.
To apply, send a message to Alessa via OGF messaging with an overview of the plan (not all details need to be worked out) and a short sentence describing the theme of the collab to the broader audience. Please note: only open collaboratives are allowed as featured projects, and preference is given to community-owned projects instead of privately-owned projects.
Information for mappers that want to get involved
Every month will have a new collab for you to try out, even if as a one-off. There will be many different projects that are possible, so do not be shy about getting involved. There are many fun ways to participate in the collaborative projects. Part of the goal is "mappers mapping with mappers," so work together on tasks, host a Discord video stream where people talk about the project, partner with friends to accomplish a detailed area, or even message the coordinator with new ideas.
To get involved, sign up below. If you are interested in becoming a regular editor or helping to coordinate fun "MMWM" group projects, please indicate it below.
The "Mappers Mapping with Mappers" Team
(Sign up here to be a regular team member! No obligation is required other than participating periodically in the featured collabs.)