|11, 33.4, 120.415|
|City of Élisabethville|
|• Region||Great East|
|• Province||Côte d'Argent|
|Ethnic Groups||Ataraxians (56%), Wiwaxians (19%), Kojolese (8%), Panjandaranians (2%), Other (15%)|
|• Mayor||Cécilia Marks|
|• Census (2015)||780,634|
Élisabethville's urban agglomeration has a population of roughly 750,000. The larger Great Northeast conurbation spanning the Côte d'Argent and Domaine de Landec provinces has a population of over 1.5 million, including the agglomerations of Landec, Ste. Anne and the many waterfront and inland towns. Including rural areas, the two provinces have a population of over 2 million.
While most of Ataraxia developed indepently of Ingerish colonization efforts, Élisabethville has the largest legacy of outside influence, starting with its name. Élisabethville has the largest collection of Elizabethan and later Victorian architecture in Ataraxia, including the opulent Gare Centrale d'Élisabethville.
Élisabethville was founded in 1664 by Ingerish colonists in a region that was historically lightly inhabited and used as a buffer zone between Ataraxian-speaking peoples to the west and the land that was to become Wiwaxia. Reasons cited for the founding include the large natural harbor and establishing a naval base to confront piracy that used the Sound of Pa and waterfront towns in the Free State of Landec as operating bases.
The ongoing consolidation of the Ataraxian states led to a perception of the proximity of the Ingerish as a threat. The combined Ataraxian forces pushed the Ingerish out by the early 1700's.
Élisabethville remained a minor outpost isolated from the rest of Ataraxia, with only an army base on the border of Wiwaxia, until revolutions in transportation occurred, first in shipping and railroads and later aviation.
The arrival of railroads shortened the time to reach coastal mining towns and inland Ataraxia. The largely undeveloped harbor allowed the opportunity to build a modern port free from the congestion of Landec's old port combining naval and merchant activities. This accelerated with containerization starting from the 1940's-1950's.
Strong lobbying efforts resulted in the underdeveloped Great Northeast region being granted the Ataraxian Air Force Academy at the beginning of the aviation era. Referred to in Ataraxian as AAA or the A3, the Academy built a home on the east side of Élisabethville where it remains today.
The Air Force Academy became a focal point of the space race, helping to develop Ataraxian skills in rocketry and advanced flight.
A spin-off of these efforts became Neuf Aérospace, headquartered in the Aéroville district around Élisabethville International station, today one of the largest aircraft manufacturers in OGF.
Major pillars of the metropolitan economy include the military, port and manufacturing.
The Ataraxian Air Force Academy (Ataraxian: Académie de l'Armée de l'Air) is based on the east side of the city with a joint Air Force-Army base just outside the city on the Wiwaxian border. Military activities account for a large share of economic activity and have served as a catalyst for spin-off industries like the aerospace sector.
The port of Élisabethville has developed to supplant that of Landec to become the largest in the region. It serves to export raw materials from the mines of the Great Northeast and as one of the larger ports for imports to Ataraxia, including component parts for aircraft. Shippers value the location at the northeast corner of Ataraxia, allowing some to not continue another 800 km to Ataraxia City's port.
The bulk of the Ataraxian aerospace industry is headquartered in Élisabethville, with Neuf Aérospace manufacturing civilian and military planes. Companies manufacturing component parts and servicing the company's planes after delivery are headquartered in the region. Neuf Aérospace is headquartered in the Aéroville district and final assembly and delivery takes place at the Élisabethville airport site, 10 km to the south.
In part due to geography, including the crossroads of the two autoroutes of the region, and the presence of one of Ataraxia's largest corporations, the Aéroville district around the Élisabethville Internationale station has developed into the central business district of the agglomeration, supplanting the old city center around the Vieux Port.
While Élisabethville was historically isolated from the core of the Ataraxian heartland, modern road, rail and air links serve to connect the city more efficiently to the rest of the country and international destinations.
Initial designs from the 1960's showed separate autoroutes connecting Élisabethville and Landec to the interior, the first 70km of which was constructed as the AX-99. Budget issues forced the consolidation of these two into one autoroute in the 1970's, the current AX-9 that serves neither city directly.
The AX-9 was constructed in the 1980's, reserving space in its right-of-way for a high-speed rail project that was finally meant to connect the Great Northeast efficiently to the rest of the country.
The Northeast high-speed rail line was completed in 1994, just ahead of the summer World Cup with some games hosted in the AAA's football stadium. The HSR drastically reduced service times between Élisabethville and Landec to 50-60 minutes, depending on service pattern, with most trains stopping at the airport and Élisabethville Internationale station.
The historic coast line (Ataraxian: Ligne cotière nord-est) links Élisabethville to Landec via numerous coastal towns and mining sites. The circuitous path, designed in the late 1800's along with many changes in elevation, takes up to 2-2.5 hours by rail.
Two light rail lines link different parts of the city, including the Vieux Port, Plage des Anglois, the AAA campus and the Aéroville district around Élisabethville Internationale.
Élisabethville has been served by a succession of airports in the last 100 years. Today, the only airport for commercial traffic is the Élisabethville-Great Northeast International Airport (EGN), approximately 30 km west of the central city. EGN replaced Landec Regional Airport and the former Élisabethville airport as the sole commercial airport in the region.
The former commercial airport, around 15km south of the city has been dedicated almost exclusively to Neuf Aérospace's operations, although some general aviation activities and private planes are hosted at the airport.
An airport hosting the activities of the AAA and the Ataraxian Air Force is found on the joint Air Force-Army base southeast of the city.