Aaby, founded 1488, is the second greatest ciy in Zylanda. The town has 1 021 521 inhabitants. The flag with the three Athenes symbolisizes the three faculties of the first university of Zylanda, founded in 1503. The blue stripes at top and bottom are the sign of the harbour of the town. The name Aaby means only "town at the river". Aaby is an own province in the state of Zylanda. The code at the car-plates for Aaby is "A".
On map see 12, -13.3206, 119.3180
- 1 History
- 2 Harbour
- 3 Economy
- 4 Suburbs
- 5 Transportation
- 6 Natural protection
- 7 Sibling Cities
Short after the founding of Elegantia 1487 under the name "Hovedstaad" (capital city) in 1488 Aaby was founded roundabout 100 km nearer to the sea as a harbour town. Long times it was unclear, if Aaby or if Elegantia can be the capital of the united territories of Zylanda - but Elegantia was in this race always a step forward. The choose of the kings answered this question, as they 1655 made Elegantia to the capital of theyr kingdom.
First settlement was the island, now the suburb Olln Aaby. Here was founded 1503 the first university of the land (the university in Elegantia was founded 1701 from King Humbert Bretigny).
With the upcoming of the railway in the 1840ies the new town of Aaby was develloped in opposite to the eastern part of the island at land - now the suburb "Negn Aaby". In 1862 was buld a dam through the tidal land and a bridge to the island of Old Aaby. In 1869 was opened the first horse tram, in 1881 the first streetcar-line with steam power from the old city to Glylp (now line # 3) and 1895 the first electric streetcar-line along the "Damperallee" (steamboat alley).
After founding of the harbour of Aaby and with the industrialisation the town grows more and more. The then new suburbs are planed after the outlines of Oddo Wagna after the ideas of Ernesto Cruz y Lopez in the end of the 1880ies with a rectangled road-grid. He also designed broad avenues - so called "Allee" - with trees in the middle and a stripe for the tracks of the future fast running streetcar - first thought and realisized with steam power, but then with electric traction.
In this time was opened the "Damperallee" as a backbone for the main traffic. Today the alley is 26 km long with a strip of park between the traffic-directions, a cycle-path and always two or more streetcar-lines with line # 8 the whole street along. The housenumbers ended at # 3500, the highest housenumbers in Zylanda.
2011 was the start of the construc tion of the first metro-line in Aaby, opened 23th of January 2018. This line with 28,6 km runs from the old city via the main station to the "Allthing"-meadow. A second line along the "Damperallee" with 25 km is in construction.
In the first centuries the harbour of Aaby was in the sea before the island and with smaller ships the freight was transported in the town. Then 1803 was cut off the first bassin at the shore. Beginning from 1860 Aaby was expanded to a great harbour for greater ships, because is was difficault to sail for this ships to Elegantia in the flat water of the Røde Sund. Til the 1920ies Aaby was the main seaport of Zylanda. Then - as the ships get more greater - a new main harbour for Zylanda was build in Negn Hobn. Now the harbour of Aaby - as the harbour of Rensenbrink - have more regional importance.
From 1850 to 1950 in Aaby was the place of the textile industry in Zylanda. Many streetnames remember at this time. Since the 1960ies this business is gone in countries with cheaper costs of production. But hi-end mode til today is the hi-light of Aaby. Every march the fashion show in Aaby is in the focus of television and newspapers worldwide.
Near the harbour at the side to the sea of the Damperallee is a row of industry and at the northern end a great work of the Great Copper, Bronce and Brass Company.
Olln Aaby (Old Aaby)
The old town was founded on an island, 1.5 km away from the land. Some "fleets" or "grafts" are cut out as a harbour, where the houses of the merchants lay - one side at the water of the graft and the other at street. Some of this houses are seen til today. They now are under cultural protection.
West of the main "fleet" lays all, what was for the town a burden - the hospital, the prison, the cemetery, the woods and meadows for the pigs and so on. Here the first university was foundet 1503. The university-building now is from 1756. Later here was build the quarter of Sankt Piita (St. Peter).
Around 1865 - as the urban devellopement in Negn Aaby started - in Olln Aaby more and more the small houses of the centuries before are replaced by greater houses with three or four floors, so that this suburb gets more and more a character of the center of a city. But til today many people of Aaby dwell in the old town. Many representative buildings are erected at the "Rundallee", the main road around the island. Too some of the "fleet" or "graft" are filled up, to get place for new houses. Worth to see in Olln Aaby are this old merchant houses, the first university-building from 1503, the Palais Bretigny from 1765 (formerly one of the kings palace, now museum), the kings marstall of 1657, the both churches "Grote Kerk" and "Leewe Fruu" (one lutherish and aone catholic), the "Theoterplads" with Opera, the great theater and the Aaby gallery with classic paintings til the impressionists. Too in this part of the town are the shops with the old and traditional names.
Negn Aaby (New Aaby)
Starting with the old railway-station the urbanisation of this part of the town begin from 1840. Here are now the newer buildings of the university and the new commercial center of the town. At the coast to this suburb belongs the marine area # 1 and the fishing harbour. Around the railway til today is some light industry. The "Negnstad Paak" from 1852 was the first greater park for the people in Aaby.
Worth to see is the so called "Exotikkwarta", the "exotic" neighbourhood with temples of many religions and the place with the ancient obelisk, one of the two in Zylanda (the other one is in Elegantia at the 120° longitude). Here too are shops for exotic food - selled by exotic people. In the Amperestroot is the pharmacy of Oddo Hysenfork, the writer.
At an given up industrial area since 1992 is the new stadium of the town with 65 000 places.
The urbanisation of this suburb started around 1870 with houses with 4 stores at the Damperallee. The further devellopement occurs after the outlines of Oddo Wagnaa as in the suburbs of Glylp and Amphora Paak. Today "Kontinentn" is the densest urbanisized suburb of Aaby. At the southside ended the suburb at the "Centraal Statzion", the central railway station. The suburb has its name from the streetnames Archantastroot, Antarephiastroot, Tarephiastroot and Ulethaallee.
Like "Kontinentn" urbanisizing started in the 1870 and later the plan of Oddo Wagna rules the devellopement. To this suburb belongs the horse racing course of Aaby.
Glylp (nobody knows the meaning of this name)
Around the old village of Glylp in the 1880ies starts the project of a suburb for better situated people. Only at the main roads are 3-stored houses, otherwise here are the typical town-villa. This houses are 12 to 16 m broad, had the ground floor and one or 2 more floors and behind the house a small garden. One of this house stands at the steet beneath the other. First one family lives in such a house, but today often one floor is let. Til today is Glylp a good adresse in Aaby.
Worth to see is the Villa Myrbke from 1887. Today here is a museum of living art and clothing in the time of 1900.
Upn Heugl (On the hill)
Behind the railway-station is the meadow, where in the times before the kings of Zylanda the towns and landscapes set theyr tents and come together for the "Allthing" all 5 years or at special events. The broad "Allthingallee" leads to the memorial and the meadow.
The suburb itself is the continuation of Kontinentn to the south with the same houses with 3 or 4 floors.
Amphora Paak (Amphors park)
In the northwest of the first railway, at a small area of land between the tidal land of the sea and the green moor, the urbanisation of this suburb started in the 1880ies. The basic-layout was from Oddo Waagna 1878. He designes the suburb like a roop, hanging at the "Damperallee" (steamer alley) as a backbone. Here he set the retail areas and in the backside the residental areas. A certain part of the area was designed as park and the houses at the Damperallee and the mainroads (tertiary roads) have three stores, the other houses only two. All shools are connected with a sport pitch after ideas of the "reform"-movement of that years. Nearly all streets are named after persons of the greek mythology or towns and landscapes in the classical greek.
In the same time at the seaside of the "Damperallee" was build the harbour and a greater area of industry.
Greunet Moor (Green Moor)
Urbanisized beginning at 1900 and so is this the eastern prolongation of "Amphora Paak" between the green moor and the main road "Damperallee". Worth to see is the town-museum of Aaby at the Damperallee.
Dree Oogn (Three eyes)
The three octogenic parks give the name for this suburb. This area is lesser dense urbanisized as "Kontinentn" or "Upn Heugl". Only at the Damperallee stand a row of higher houses as the retail area of this suburb. In the smaller streets we find this rows of "townhouses", build in the 1890ies as the "westend" of the city of Aaby. With the then electric streetcar it was no problem, to get from this more outside quarter in the heart of the town.
Worth to see is the "Zoopaak", the zoo of Aaby. Here in this suburb is the only beach direct in the town of Aaby, reachable with tramways ## 8 and 9. Here too is the great seabridge (Siibrykk), 1.5 km long, with the traditional horse-streetcar along the footwalk and two great pavillons with pubs, cafes, restaurants and a lot of anmusement places.
Aaby has two main railway stations. The old station of 1844 at the seashore in Negn Aaby is now used for the more local traffic to Elegantia. From 1849 til 1921 here the trains more to the south and to Rensenbrink must change here their direction. Since 1921 for the trains further to the south to Negn Hobn and Rensenbrink is opened the new station "Aaby Centraal" between the suburbs Kontinentn and Upn Heugl. Since 1989 is in use the railway-tunnel under the "Platte Sii", which gaves Aaby a direct connection to Lummerholm and forther north to Gupys and Charity or further west to Lorredion.
Today dayover to Elegantia runs all half an hour a train from the old station. The modern electric trains make Aaby nearly to a suburb of Elegantia. The direct-trains, who stops only at the Zylandian Airport, run the 101 km in 40 minutes from the old town station to Elegantia Main Station or the local trains in 50 minutes to the metro-station "Smetterskamp" for direct connection with the metro-line "A" to the city of Elegantia.
Motorway # 6 ("Aabywej") connected Aaby with Elegantia and Negn Hobn. In the near in the west runs motorway # 7 ("Plattlandwej") to the northern shore of the Røde Sund and to the south. National road # 21 runs via Aaby from Elegantia at the southern shore of the Røde Sund. Roads # 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 and 35 begin in Aaby.
The first line of the "Aaby Tunnlboon" was opened at 23th of January 2018. This new line is 23 km long. Beginning in the old city of Aaby at the "Feerpiir"-Station (Ferry pier) the line runs via the town-station of the railway to Elegantia and via the main station of Aaby to the Allthing-memorial. The line terminated at "Ringlbloomstroot" station. 20 trains allow a service all 5 minutes. In construction is a second line along the Damperallee of 25 km. This second line will use between "Walkyrstroot" and "Porto Colon Stroot" the same tracks as the first line and will have loops at both ends for a easyer triffic. If later the traffic grow too dense for the service of both lines on common tracks, between this common stations track 3 and 4 are planed. After opening this second metro-line, the streetcar-line # 8 will be shut down.
Since the metro is opened, then the metro-lines carry the numbers 1 and 2 and the streetcar-lines 1 to 4 had got the numbers 11 to 14.
The transportation in the town is organisized with a net of 10 streetcar-lines and several buslines. The streetcar-lines ## 11 to 14 (formerly 1 to 4) starts in Olln Aaby and run over the dam to Negn Aaby and the old railway station and in more southern suburbs. Lines ## 5 and 6 makes a bow through "Negn Aaby" and to the old railway station. Line # 8 runs straight along the shore over the "Damperallee" (steamer alley)in his whole lenght and line # 9 makes a bow to the new main railway-station.
Line # 10 runs only dayover and is too of touristic interest as connection from the ferry to the old city and to the Allthing-meadow. If there are exhibitions at the Aaby exhibition area ("Aaby Meet"), then this line is prolongated to the Aaby Meet and at the other end to the great parking area at motorway # 8 and with a parking-ticket this line can be used free.
The old railway-station with the shuttle-service to Elegantia is reached with lines ## 5, 6 and 11 to 14 and the new main railway-station is reached with lines ## 4, 6, 9 and 10.
With the opening of the metro-line the streetcar-line # 4 at the southern end now run not more at the westside around the great medow, but has got new tracks at the eastside for a better service of that area and second for a shorter way to the city of the outer areas.
Around Aaby are wide areas of natural protection. In the east the "Greunet Moor" (green moor), in the west the "Byknsøø" (Birchlake) and in the south the wood of Glylp Holt.
Aaby has arrangements with