User:ZM/Sandbox/Old Abrilleron page
|This article is currently a stub. It may, or may not - be expanded in the future|
|9, -19.7589, 20.7147|
|The Island Republic of the Abrilleran, the Ingerish and Franquese|
To be determined
and largest city
|Nationalities||65% Abrilleran, 20% Ingerish, 7% native, 8% other|
|• Prime Minister|
|Drives on the||right|
The islands that currently make up Abrilleron were colonised by Ingerland in the early 1500's. Later Abrilleron became a part of the Ardoin Trade League, which it stayed until 1880.
In 1907, a revolution resulting from an economic crisis which the government (back then a constitutional monarchy) was unable to stop resulted in a two-year civil war. The old government was pushed back to the surroundings of Gensey when it surrendered. This resulted in the creation of the breakaway state of Massentia.
Abrilleron is located on an island in the Strait of Lyc to the south of the continent of Tarephia. In the east, Abrilleron borders Mallorjhe. There is a bridge connecting the two nations, which was built in 1985. 150 km to the north of the country is Brocéliande. 200 km to the west of Abrilleron is the Republic of Occidentia, which occupies the island of Oridicanello. The Andover Kingdom on Antarephia is located about 300 km south of the island.
Abrilleron consists of about 10 islands. The main island (known as Abri Island) contains about 80 % of the country's land mass, Perters Island (in the southwest) around 15 % and the rest is split between the remaining smaller islands, islets and rocks. No island is separated by more than 5 km from the main island. Many islands are either inhabited or have some kind of settlement on them.
Because Abrilleron is of volcanic origin, it has very good soil for agriculture. Plants like bananas, cocoa and coffee are grown.
A map of the provinces before 2011
On the first level, Abrilleron is divided into four provinces. Each province's government has comparatively low power compared to other nations', but still retains a lot of freedom in terms of establishing and deciding the future of schools, hospitals, universities and other public services, creating and maintaining infrastructure (road and rail, especially).
Provinces are further subdivided into Municipalities. Municipalities have a small government headed by a mayor, which together with the other 2nd level governments in a province make up that province's government.
Abrilleron has a population of about 2.9 million people. Around 85 % identify as Abrilleran, the remaining 15 % come from other peoples.
Most citizens (around 95 %) live in an urban area, only about 5 % in the countryside, mostly because of how little space is available on the island (the population density lies around 700 per square kilometre).
Most of the money in the Abrilleran economy is made through trading, which it has relied on since its foundation. The tertiary sector also plays a large role, industry and agriculture are less important but still make up ~ 10% of the GDP each.
Abrilleron is currently a very peaceful nation. It has very good relations with Mallorjhe, Broceliande, Latina and Freedemia, however foreign relationships with other countries are often avoided by the government. Since the Prince's War in the 1870's and the subsequent revolution, Abrilleron has not been involved in any sort of foreign conflict directly, but has provided some indirect help to other nations in the recent past.
As Abrilleron is located in a strategically important strait, many countries have trade and/or military agreements with Abrilleron.
The currency of Abrilleron is the Abrilleran Abri (AAB). It is currently worth about 0.9 USD for one Abri, an exchange rate which has stayed very stable over the years. One Abri is divided into 100 cents. There are 2, 4, 10, 20 and 50 cent coins(the 1 cent coins having been abolished in 2001), 1, 2 and 5 Abri coins and 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500 Abri bills. The coins feature famous Abrilleran plants and flowers, while the bills depict important landmarks from the country, like the Ambasssador Bridge or the Parliament Buildings.