CHKO Loravské doliny

From OpenGeofiction Encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

OGFmapicon.png 54.7366 N, 85.9812 E
CHKO Loravské doliny
Type III Nature Reserve in Litvenska Flaga.jpg Litvania

Loading map...

Town Loravia
Region Loravia Region
Continent Uletha
Type Type III Nature Reserve
Height Zelin, 192mm
Constructed 1936
Owner NSOP
Manager NSOP
ANESCO Designation
ANESCO Designation 1937
National Designation
National NSOP Desination 1936
Transport links
Ferries 1 ferry to O. Šimanovo
Passenger Rail Nivá station may be used as access.
Tram Line 4 to Kriváňská

CHKO Loravské doliny (Chranená krajinná oblasť; Protected Countryside Perimeter) is a protected nature area outside of Loravia, Litvania. It is the second largest of its kind in the Loravian region, after the CHKO Dolné Vesníky.


The park was launched in 1936 with the passing of the National Protected Areas of Nature Act of 1936[1].It was chosen due to its remarkable ecosystem, stable populations of common and rare animals, birds and insects. Boundaries were established along the edges of local forests. It is managed by the local forest guard, and is protected by law. It has enjoyed relative popularity as a weekend trip destination. Over 670,000 visitors have been to the park since it opened in 1936.


The landscape is of a slight valley of the Lorava river, with hills surrounding. The hills and gently sloping, and covered in forests. The banks of the river are mostly shingle beaches with parts being swampy and covered in scrub. The largest known shingle beach in the region is in the park, Trsteňánská vysyp. The tallest hill in the park is Zelin, and is currently occupied by an observatory owned by the Astronomy and Physics department of the University of Loravia.

Biology and Ecology

The park is home to the largest population of saker falcon in Litvania. Deciduous trees are dominant, with specimens like the Ulethan Maple, beech and linded being very widespread. Over 700 species of bird and 20 species of insect inhabit the park premises.


There is one historic castle ruin on the hill of Nalachov, built in the 14th century as a backup garrison and fort for Loravia Castle. It was destroyed in the 1500's in an attack by the Egalians. Currently there is a single tower remaining, which serves as a viewing point for tourists. There are many local restaurants in the park, and even one motel for long term expeditions.

Protection status

The park has a protection status of III[2] meaning it is accesible at any time to the general public, has camping sites, restaurants and even the controversial recycling containers.


  1. Akt Natúrných miesť chránených 1936. 212 Akt priebiežovany priez národný úrad. Retrieved 12th February 2001
  2. Národný rejestor miesť s naturným valorom a ich status ochrány, str. 9, Retrieved February 4th 2001