Capital Rapid Transit

From OpenGeofiction Encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Capital Rapid Transit

Capital Rapid Transit
Overview
OwnerPTA
Area servedPort Elizabeth, Capital Region, Cape Gardens
Transit typeSubway
 Commuter train
Number of lines2
Number of stationsTBA
Daily ridership170,000
Annual ridership62,000,000
Chief Executive OfficerRuttleff Winston
HeadquartersPort Elizabeth Hall
Websitewww.crt.kp
Operation
Began operationMay 1,1972
Operator(s)CTA
Charactercommuter train, subway
Number of vehicles340
Train length131m
Headway5 mins. peak/ 10mins normal/ 20mins. off-hours
First departure4.30am
Last arrival1.30am
Technical
System length65km (?)
Tracks2
Track gauge1,650mm
Minimum curvature radius120m, 170m planning standard
Electrification1200V DC
Top speed115km/h, 110km/h during normal operations

The Capital Rapid Transit is a Suburban Commuter Train System serving the area in and around Port Elizabeth, Futuria City and the greater cape region. Opened in 1972 it serves almost 170000 passengers a day. It is also known for its stations featuring brutalist architecture.

History

First Planning

Original Planning started in 1958 and was supposed to be finished for the 1964 Pasalia State Fair, but due to problems was only finished in 1972.

Construction

U-Bahnstation Schauspielhaus.jpg CRT runs on newly build elevated, ground level and underground tracks, aswell as former right of ways of operators like Cape Gardens&Northern Railways.


Operating

Stations

BLUE LINE


to be expanded

Future

Rolling Stock

Evening train out of PH BART.jpg 1972 Stock leaving Wickbury Station

  • Currently (2015) only 1 stock is running on the CRT. The 1972 CRT Stock build between 1970 and 1973 by Chang y Sainz in the Ardisphere. They can hold 800 passengers and could travel at a maximum speed of 115 kmh.

There are plans to refurbish 75% of the trains and replace the other 25% with newly purchased trains. These are planned to feature more accessible space, better lighting and more modern traction motors, as the ones in the current trains tend to create a raw wailing sound equal to that of an air raid siren whilst accelerating in tunnels as noted by passengers. They will not be driverless but instead continue to operate under the standard semi-automatic system.

Incidents

Critiscm