Constitution of Karolia
The Constitution of the Karolian Federal Republic provides the basis of all laws in the country and sets out the principles by which the country should be governed. It is comprised of sixteen Articles of Governance and eighteen Articles of Rights. There are also Principles of Action which do not dictate any specific laws but provide guidance on the aims and principles of the state.
The constitution was devised by Jan Maasriias and his government in 1799. It has been subsequently altered with the addition of the Bill of Rights in 1902 and with the addition of several amendments.
The constitution was officially ratified on March 14th 1799 after a period of debate amongst the Maasriias government. The reason for the almost two-year delay after the declaration and founding of the republic was the necessity to dissolve the old monarchies and regional republics and establish representatives of the new federal republic in every state. The original constitution was different in various ways to the modern document: it did not include articles added following the Bill of Rights (articles 16-20) and did not include the Amendments. It is particularly telling that the first articles deal with the name of the nation and national symbols, part of the consolidation of the new republic.
Text of the document
(Note: This article presents a summary of the main points of this document in its current form. Many of the articles have subsidiary points detailing the exact terms which are usually presented in a separate document.)
Articles of Governance
Name of the Nation and national symbols
- 1. The official name of this nation is the Karolian Federal Republic.
- 2. This nation of Karolia is formed of the union of its constituent states, all of whom shall be equal in representation.
- 3. The national flag shall be comprised of the design agreed by the government of 1803; to whit: A gold cross with white edging, on a background the upper half of which shall be scarlet and the lower half royal blue. The flag may be used for any purpose that is not defamatory or misrepresentative of the nation.
- 4. The national arms and the State Seal shall also be those decided by the aforementioned committee of 1803
- 5. The official languages of the nation shall be those of Karolian and Romans and shall use the Latin alphabet for all official purposes
System of Government
- 6. The government shall be formed of two houses of elected representatives which shall sit in a designated place when called upon
- 7. A President shall be duly elected as Head of State not more than five years after the date of the incumbent taking office
- 7a No individual may serve more than three terms as President.
- 8. A Chancellor shall be duly elected as Head of Government following a General Election
- 9. No law shall be passed without the proper and thorough process being observed by the government
- 10. A Court of Arbitration shall be established to ensure compliance with this document and other due processes in the business of government.
- 11. The legal tender for all transactions within the nation shall be the Karolian Korona and parts thereof.
- 12. The federal and state governments shall have the right to levy such taxes and tariffs upon the citizens as are necessary to fund the governance, function, maintenance and defence of the nation
- 13. Any proposal of amendment to this document shall, in addition to due governmental process, be subject to a popular vote
- 14. Each constituent State shall have its own government elected by popular ballot which shall possess various powers as defined elsewhere. No state my pass a law that conflicts with any article in this document.
- 15. The citizenry shall have the right to recall any representative in the event of misconduct or other reason by popular ballot
- 16. The citizenry shall have the right to present petitions to the state or federal governments and have them considered if a certain threshold of petitioners is achieved.
Articles of Rights
- 1. Citizenship is granted irrevocably to any individual born in the State of Karolia, its overseas territories, and to any individual born to a parent of Karolian citizenship.
- 2. All citizens in Karolia are equal before the law and have the right to live free from prejudice of any kind
- 3. All citizens of appropriate age have the right to elect their representatives in government.
- 3a. Elections shall be by secret ballot using any method that may produce a fair and accurate representation of the votes cast.
- 3b. Citizens have the right to form lawful political parties in order to seek political office.
- 4. All citizens shall have the right if accused of a crime to a fair and open trial before a jury of their peers,
- 4a Any such person accused has the right to present a defence and have all pertinent evidence considered by the court
- 4b. All citizens have the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty by such process and not to serve any sentence until such a verdict has been reached
- 4c. The penalty for any wrongdoing shall be proportionate to the crime
- 5. All citizens shall have the right of freedom of assembly and association
- 6. All citizens have the right to a free press, access to and free dissemination of information, to free expression and freedom of speech
- 7. All citizens have the right to travel freely within the borders of the nation, to obtain lawful documents to facilitate travel abroad and to undertake such travel
- 8. All citizens have the freedom to practice any religion or system of belief and the lawful rituals associated therewith, and also to hold no religious views. The State shall not show privilege to any system of belief nor force any religious practice upon the citizenry
- 9. All citizens shall have the appropriate and necessary protection of the state services against crime, natural disaster, civil disorder, war, famine, fire, and other such threats to life and property
- 10. All citizens have the right to own lawful property. The military, government, and other civil forces shall not requisition any item of property from any citizen without supplying proportionate compensation.
- 11. The state and any representative thereof shall not use prosecutions for political ends
- 12. All citizens have the right to lawful cultural symbols, expressions and practices whatever their origin
- 13. All citizens have the right to use proportional defence against threats to life and property, and to bear such arms as are lawful for this purpose.
- 14. All citizens have the right to peaceful protest
- 15. All citizens have the right to conduct lawful trade and business with the nation
- 16. All citizens have the right of access to education
- 17. All citizens have the right of access to healthcare
- 18. All citizens have the right to a family, to family life, to marry and to divorce
- 18a. All citizens have the right to end their own life
- 19. All citizens have the right to speak in public and private any spoken language and to use any writing system
- 20. Any foreign citizen fleeing political, racial, cultural or other persecution abroad may claim asylum upon reaching the Karolian border and shall be considered for naturalisation processes.
- 21. A copy of this document shall be made available upon request to any individual in their specified language
Principles of Action
- 1. To establish and maintain peace and civil order within the nation and in the world.
- 2. To provide for and protect the citizenry
- 3. To assist the cultural life and cultural reputation of the state of Karolia and to facilitate cultural appreciation
- 4. To establish and maintain diplomatic relations with other nation states and cultural exchange
- 5. To facilitate trade and enterprise within the country and internationally
- 6. To remain unbiased and to refrain from undue interference in the personal lives of citizens
- 7. The state shall
1. The President, Chancellor and government shall have in exceptional circumstances and after due process the right to suspend any article of this document for the purpose of national security and protection of the citizenry. Such a suspension must be immediately repealed when no longer necessary.
- 1. The state shall not enact military conscription upon the citizenry.
- 2. Any citizen may renounce their citizenship upon obtaining citizenship of another state
- 3. The state shall permit the Kantonas Staatsbaank, the Karolijas Kiritbaank and the Liidubaank Kyori to mint currency units in Korona against their reserves and for such currency to be legal tender in the nation of Karolia
- 4. The state shall permit the Principality of Meridonia to use the Korona as its national currency and to mint its own versions of the currency units.
- 5. Any individual wishing to end their own life for medical reasons may give consent for the assistance of a qualified doctor, relative or other appointed person they designate, without said person being liable for any criminal action relating to the action
- 6. The nation of Karolia shall enter into a treaty with its neighbour states the Principality of Meridonia, the Kingdom of Darcodia and the Republic of Ispelia that shall include the suspension of border controls, free trade agreements and other such articles as detailed in the relevant treaty.
- 7. The languages of Kyori, Teps, Meridonian, Inglish and Darcodian shall be considered official regional languages in the republic