|12, -13.0345, 119.9978|
Ele or Gandia
|Zylandians (82%), Latinians (7 %), Natives (4%), Other (7%)|
|Nationalities||Zylandian (86%), Latinian (7 %), Other (7%)|
|• Meester||Jørn Crampe|
|• Kleenmeester||Bjørn Gregersen|
|• Total||1 852.20 km2|
|• Urban||xyz km2|
|• Rural||eyz km2|
|Elevation||1 m (195 ft)|
|• Estimate (2014)||2 300 000|
|• Census (2012)||2 245 673|
|Postal Code||1001 ff|
|Metro||6 lines (A-F)|
Elegantia is the capital and the greatest city of Zylanda with 2 445 673 inhabitants. The official name "Cité fun Elegantia" came from the french speaking kings of Zylanda and this name was not changed after the revolution, because the old name was only "Hovedstaad" (means nothing as "Capital City"). The people itself say only "Ele", "Ganja" or "Gandia" as name for the town - as joke "Gantia" (from "Ganter") for the urban young professional man, fighting as ganders for money and women.
Elegantia has a closed partnership with Van Pelt City in Latina, both towns see the other as a "brother in ghost" for theyr lo-german language and the seasailing tradition. The flag - a green mermaid with a torch - was used in the revolution of 1868 and since them it is the flag of the city. She is green, because there was only green cloth at hand for the flag.
The town was founded 1487 and so this year is the beginning of the colony of Zylanda. From first times on the colonist are independent from the "motherland" and the town of "Hovedstaad" was the main city of Zylanda. First part of the town were suburb # 1 (Stadii) and a part along the coast of # 12 - Smetterskamp for the harbour. At this time there are no official state of Zylanda. Only the "Allthing" come together - not in Elegantia, but on a meadow in Aaby.
Around 1600 the town becomes greater and the newer part of the old town was founded, now suburb # 2 (Nege Stadii).
1655 - in his first year of his reign - King Gerald I make the town to the capital of his new land and named the town "Elegantia" with the opinion, "to make an elegant city out of a dirty pigpool". So he fonded the new town around the palace (now suburb # 3 - Slot). He began to build his palace, which grow under his successors more and more. Now it shows a front of 900 m to the park.
1701 his son king Humbert founded the university of Elegantia, called "Gelehrtenxool" (classical school) and 1712 he founded the national bibliothek - both at the "Lantychtnstroot" (at this time rue des laternes, both means "street of lanterns") with the ironic word: "This students shall be the lanterns of the land". The new modern university now is with its most parts in the north of the town.
In the 1740ies King Charles had great planes. He has astronomical interests and set the coastline of the slot-suburb with the street "Nege Kant" (new shore) exaxtly at longitude of the 70° east (now 120° east). Too the mainroad to the north he set on this longitude (today the street "120. Laengngraad"). For the work in the wet tidal land many worker died and so he could open his mainroad to the north 1745, but then 1747 heavy riots in Elegantia makes an end with this works. The people plundered his palace and the king was killed. His son Gerald III ended the riots with violence and opened then the "Nege Kant" in the year 1749. To connect both projects he had no meaning, because in the projected line stands the small hunting-palace of the family on a small hill (now seat of the president of the republic of Zylanda).
1830 and later in the time of the first railways the suburb # 4 and 5 (Negn Nørd and Negn Syd) were urbanisized. The first railway-station of Elegantia stands directly at the seashore and for the way of right (now "Bohnhoffstroot") a lot of houses one block broad are demolished. This was again one point for the revolution against the kings, first against Guilleaume and after 1844 against Gerald IV. Here the railways run til 1921, then the new station was opened, which is used til now. Since 1926 here run the first metroline of Elegantia.
In the 1850-ies many representative buildings are erected in the then new suburb # 6 (now Riikstach). The young republic from the 1870-ies on sets in this area the parliament, the palace of the president, the opera, the great national theater, the university and other buildings. Many embassies lay in this area.
.. more text ..
Elegantia is divided in 20 suburbs. Postal Code is always 100. or 10.. and the number of the suburb ( always 4 numerals). Government and greater companies have postalcodes from 1021 to maximal 1999
|1||Olle Stadii||Old Quai||1537||163 621||21.04||7 776.7|
|2||Nege Stadii||New Quai||1605||82 652||8.79||9 403.0|
|4||Negn Nørd||New North||1840||18.81|
|5||Negn Syd||New South||1840||21.89|
|10||Frøselund||Frøses Wood||1890||96.33||til 1910 independent village|
|12||Streutadørp||Streuters Village||1885||75.98||til 1954 independent village|
|whole city||2 245 673||1 247.05||1 800.8|
Mayor of the town is a "Meester" (master) and as his right hand the "Kleenmeester" (small master), who has the power, if the Meester is absence or not able, to govern (may be ill or dead). Both persons are elected together as team every 3 years. They have to name 12 senatores for the different offices of the town-government.
Every five years the people elect the "Stadthing", today 285 persons for the town-assembly (one for 5 000 inhabitants - but elected only from zylandians, indigenes and latinians, who lived in Elegantia more than half a year). The town assembly is at same time the assembly of the zylandian province of Elegantia.
In the suburbs are at same time as to the "Stadthing" all five years elected for every suburb 15 people for lesser important actions in the suburbs. One of them is elected from the others as the "Baas". All this Baas too are in the "Stadtthing" as representant for his suburb, so that the "Stadthing" today has 305 members with a vote.
Elegantia has a net of 6 metro-lines, named "A" to "F". First line was opened 1936 from the Railway-station along the "Bohnhoffstroot" the 7,5 km to "Breede Stroot", now lines B (darkblue) and C (green). 1942 follows line "A" (red) to the Zoo (now line "F"). After prolongation of this three lines follows 1963 line "D" (black). Last line is line "E" (orange) since 1984.
Line "F" in light-blue was formerly part of line "A", but was 2014 serviced as independent line, as line "E" war opened to the Eeknallee and the structure of the lines are changed. Line "F" now terminated at the station Hobnhuus. Only at the evening and at weekends the line "F" run together with line "A" to Ilkplaads. Line "A" is since 2014 the long wished thrugoing connection from north to south.
Along of line "F" between "De leewe fruu" and "Plessenplads" lay two more tracks, now not more in use and formerly served from line "D". The old platform of line "D" at Plessenplads are now the only "ghost-station" of the Elegantia metro. This tracks are still used as service-tracks to or from the metro-depots.
More lines in the moment for Elegantia are not planned. Today only a short extension of line "E" is in work from Eeknallee to the stadium, which is planed to open in 2016. Therefore the net of streetcar-line shall be reanimated.
Where two lines run together the same route, are layed 4 tracks. At the stations then both line in the same direction stops at the same platform for easy interchange.
Style, design, technical parameters and wagons are the same as in Latina (Cidudad), because the metro of Elegantia was build by latinian ingenieurs and technicans. Because Elegantia took the latinian norm, it makes the building cheaper for the land and the town. So the platforms are 150 m as in Latina (Cidudad) and it runs trains of type "F" or "G".
Today the metro-system of Elegantia has 334 trains (180 of the modern type G and 154 of the older type F). The service chanced between 2 or 3 minutes in the peak-hour, 5 minutes in times with lesser traffic or 7.5 minutes in the late evening. From 1:30 to 4:00 only in the nights from friday to saturday and saturday to sunday the metro serves the whole night.
Trains are stores in the depots
- A - Backntoonsøø as the main service station (80 trains for lines A and F)
- B - Braamkamp (50 trains for lines B and C)
- F - Fryk-Toll (20 trains for line F)
- G - Grootmaakt (16 trains for line B)
- H - Horkkamp (80 trains for lines A and D)
- S - Streutadørp (40 trains for line B)
- U - Uutsicht (100 trains for lines B, C, D and E) - the oldest depot from 1936 for the first line
- Z - Zoo (48 trains for line E)
The metro-museum near the Uutsicht-depot has each of 2 cars of the older types C, D and E. Older cars of types A and B in Elegantia were not in use. This museum is opend at the weekends (10:00 to 20:00).
Today (November 2014) in work are this six lines
|A||red||1942||Horkkamp - Stadion - Rensenbrink - Riikstach - Grode Kerk - Twingborch - Ilkplads - Backtoonsøø||42.0||37|
|B||darkblue||1936||Grootmaakt - Boonhoff - Grode Kerk - Riikstach - Uletha||46.5||40|
|C||green||1936||Fryk-Strand - Twingborch - Boonhoff - Braamkamp-Nørd||31.0||36|
|D||black||1963||Botanixn Gardn - Rensenbrink - Riikstach - Plessenplads - Boonhoff - Sydnend||35.5||32|
|E||orange||1984||Eeknallee - Plessenplads - Ilkplaads - Fryk-Toll||30.5||26||prolongation to Stadion in work|
|F||lightblue||2014||Hobnhuus - Plessenplads - Hunnerd Ebers - Zoo||15.5||17||formerly part of line A|
Today Elegantia has three streetcar-lines, the rest of the formerly greater net before most of them are substituted of metro-lines.
- # 5 (11.5 km) Olln Boonhoff - Roodhuus - Plassnplads - Blomnstroot - Tulipanallee
- # 8 (18.0 km) Olln Boonhoff - Kweerkonol - Konolstroot - Shintostroot - Backntoonsøø
- # 11 (29.5 km) Negn Kerkhoff - Kerkhoffallee - Smettaskamp Inkøøp - Twinborch - Kweerkonol - Roodhuus - Plessnplads
Planed are more streetcar lines on routes, which are too busy for bus-service, but where a metro-line is oversized.
see main article Zyland Iisnwech Companii
First railway was the line to Aaby, opened at 1842-05-05 with the station at the seashore. 1921 was opened the new central railway station. The freight traffic run over own tracks more outside the city parallel to the motorway # 1
Elegantia is the heart of the zylandian net of motorways. The routes ## 1 and 2 run through the town and routes # 3, 4 and 5 startet in Elegantia. The national "B"-road # 11 is the backbone at the shore of Elegantia, junctioned the from Elegantia startend national roads in the north or south of the town. From the north at Rensenbrink Plads begins the roads ## 12 to 15, in the city ## 16 and 17 and in the south at the Twingborch Circle started ## 18 to 21. Routes ## 22 and 23 runs tangetial to the town centre. The other routes in the 20ies run around Elegantia.
The international airport of Elegantia lays 40 km southwest of the town on the way to Aaby, so that this airport is used by both cities. From both towns the airport is junctioned with the Railway Aaby-Elegantia with fast airport-service.
In the first centuries of Zylanda the main harbour was Elegantia. But as the ships become greater, it was not easy for them to reach the harbour in the flat water. So first around 1820 a new harbour was biuld in Aaby and since 1935 the deepwater-harbour "Negn Hobn" was founded closer more to the sea.
... more text ...