Huntington, the capital of the Federal States is served by a subway system of six lines with a lenght of 133 km (82 miles). This system now has since 2014 the nickname "Huntington Pipeline" after a poll of the newspapers, but the official name is "Huntington Subway". Operator is the CHARTA (Capital District/Huntington Area Rapid Transit Authority). This organisation also operated the bus-lines in the Capital district and the railway to the international airport. The Headquarter is in Ward 3 at the Wallawaukee Place - see .
Following the examples of other greater towns in the Federal States in Huntington 1880 an elevated railway was constructed, running from the in that time new Central Cemetery via Archanta Avenue und New Carnaby Avenue to the Antharian Quarter, named North-South Elevated. A second line of the Eastern Elevated from Sparrow Hill via Defense, Culin Alley, a sharp curve in Tarephia Alley and Old Station Street to Jundah Place follows 1883. At the crossing point in the Archanta Avenue the viaduct of the Eastern Elevated run over the viaduct of the North-South Elevated line. Both lines since 1897 operated with electric trains. From the beginning this iron viaducts in the avenues has a cheap and dirty image - not the best for the capital of the Federal States. 1900 the Eastern Elevated was prolongated to the new Zoo in the south of the town and the North-South Elevated 1902 get a short branch to the Racecourse.
With the opening of the new Union Railway Station in the year 1906 a subway connection was wished and several planes are made for more subway lines in Huntington. The general plan from 1915 see this lines:
- Take over the Marysville railway with a subway from Five Ways to Jundah Place - Lake City Place - Opera - Union Station to Glen Holden via the way of the old railway to Stanton, disused since 1906.
- Laying the North-South Elevated in a tunnel on the way through the central hexagon.
- Laying the Eastern Elevated in a tunnel from Defense via Triangel, Seneppi Avenue, Jundah Place and Minnonigan Avenue to Mintington.
From 1916 in Huntington the first subway line was constructed, to bring the elevated lines under the earth in the heart of the city. In May 1921 the first section was opened from the Central Cemetary to Liberty Place (now southern part of the orange line). In February 1922 follows the section between Liberty Place and the Northside Hospital (now northern part of the red line). In the thinking of that time the line south and north of the inner city still run on the iron viaduct in the middle of the broad Archanta Avenue and the New Carnaby Avenue. Sure, some people want a tunnel there too, but the saying was: "A viaduct or nothing!" The money was used to bring the second line under the earth via Triangle and under the Seneppi Avenue in the years 1923 and 1924 (now silver line). In the Culin Alley and the Tarephia Avenue the unloved iron viaduct was demolished.
1926 are opened two parts of the planed line Marysville - Glen Holden: in the west Marysville - Jundah Place and in the east Union Station - Glen Holden. The middle part unter the Hexagon area still was in work. In 1931 only the section Union Station - Opera - North Mall opened to connect the red line there (this section now part of the green line).
So far, so good. Merchants and Newspapers meanwhile want a subway under the Main Avenue and a fast connection to the Union Station instead of the forseen longer way via Opera. So planes are changed and the ready build tunnel in the Osaquoia Avenue, planed for the Marysville line, was used for the Zoo line (now silver line), running 1932 from Jundah Place to Lake City Place and then planed to run to Higginsbourne instead of Mintington. The Junda Place Station of the silver line - laying in the second level unter the avenue - was rebuild in the first deep level to cross the new way of the blue line in the second level.
The Marysvlle line get a new way via Main Avenue to the railway station, crossing its old line at Jundah Place in the second level under the place. This part, opened 1934, was layed with four tracks for the planed line to Mintington. But long years only two tracks are in use. The line to Mintington since then was planed to be served not by the silver line, but by a new line, running with the blue line from Jundah Place to Union Station and then to the east - may be to Acorncamp.
At this time the lines get its colour and we have
- red line = Northside Hospital - North Mall - Triangle - Central Cemetery
- silver line = Zoo - Larkfield - Triangle - Jundah Place - Lake City Place
- blue line = Marysville - Five Ways - Jundah Place - Union Station
- green line = North Mall - Opera - Union Station - Glen Holden
Then the money run out. Some decades go in the land, in which in other towns build miles and miles of subway lines, but in Huntington they discuss only and seek for money for new lines. Nearly 30 years this was the small subway-system of Huntington, and that most as elevated line or line on the surface.
In the 1960ies a new wind come in this question. The overcrowded streets, the slow streetcars and buses, the too long time for the way home let change the mind. A special subway tax and money from a fund of the Federal States allow to start a new programm of lines, most running in tunnels under the great avenues. First extension 1963 was the blue line to Old Huntington. In the 1970ies follow the new brown line from Mintington to Acorncamp, using the third and fourth track between Jundah Place and Union Station layed 1934. The green line get a new tunnel from North Mall to Lake City Place, connecting there with the silver line. Some years it was not clear, was it the silver or the green line, that will be prolongated from Lake City Place to Higginsbourne.
In the 1980ies and 1990ies some more extensions come in operation to Higgins Lake and later to Needlewood in Wilthamshire (silver line) via the Alormen Avenue, to the regional airport (blue line) and to Lopeewotap Hill (red line). Newest line is the orange line. The first sections opened 2004: Hellenisian Esplanade to Triangle and Triangle to New Departements. The section to New Departements since then is served by the red line and the orange line takes over the part to the Central Cemetery from the red line. 2011 the red line was prolongated to Ascounia Village and 2015 the green line to the University. In construction is a prolongation of the orange line further to the north to eastern Higginsbourne.
Meanwhile the old elevated sections on the iron viaducts have its own charme. So 2011 they are put under cultural protection as examples for an early urbanic devellopement more as 100 years ago.
|red||||Ascounia Village||Boranic Garden - Triangle - North Mall - New Carnaby Avenue||Oxtoll||25.027||15.551|
|blue||||Marysville||Emerson Point - Jundah Place - Liberty Place - Union Station - Old Huntington||Regional Airport||33.352||20.724|
|brown||||Mintington||Jundah Place - Liberty Place - Union Station||Acorncamp||19.359||12.029|
|silver||||Needlewood||Higgins Lake - Lake City Place - Jundah Place - Triangle - Larkfield||Zoo||25.757||16.140|
|orange||||Ashburnham||Triangle - Senate||Hellanesian Esplanade||11.893||7.390||branch line to the racecourse|
|green||||University||Lake City Place - Opera - Union Station||Glen Holden||17.817||11.071|
Not all tracks lay in a tunnel. The red line north and and the orange line south of the inner city run on an iron viaduct in the middle of the Stanton Avenue and the Archanta Avenue. The silver line use its viaduct in the Larkfield area. The blue line in the east follows the railway with a cutted right of way for some kilometres. The green line in the southeast used the old trackbed from the former railway to Stanton on its way to Glen Holden and in the southwest the old railway right of way to Marysville. Too other small parts of the subway-net lay at surface. Only the brown line lays in a tunnel the most of its lenght.
The "Huntington Pipeline" serves the lines dayover all 5 minutes, in the peak-hours all 2.5 or 3 minutes. For this operating 147 trains are in use. From Friday to Saturday and Saturday to Sunday the trains in the night run all 20 minutes. At the other night last trains run rundabout 1:30 a.m. and first next day start around 4:30 a.m.
Trains can be stored in 7 yards. For flexible service the different lines are connected with short service tracks. Where lines run a parallel way, there are connecting switches between the tracks.
Main service station is at yard "A" near the Archanta Avenue. Trains can be stored
- Yard "A" (orange (and red) line) = 26 trains and main maintenance with eight tracks
- Yard "B" (brown (and blue) line) = 32 trains
- Yard "C" (brown line) = 16 trains
- Yard "D" (green line) = 32 trains
- Yard "E" (blue line) = 24 trains
- Yard "F" (red line) = 16 trains
- Yard "G" (silver line) = 20 trains
Some trains over night stay at service tracks at the outer terminal stations to allow an early ride downtown. This places are secured like the subway yards by fences, to hold off the spray-kids and avoid the "graffiti".
At the stations "Liberty Place" and "Triangle" the red and orange line cross one the other. Here you can change the line on the same platform - the northbound trains on the one and the southbound trains at the other. Also the blue and brown line run together between Jundah Place and Union Station and at the stations always with westbound and eastbound platforms for both lines.
The tracks from Grylster Park to the Horse Racing Course (orange line) are only in use if there are events at the racecourse.
At Jundah Place you can visit this "ghost station" . It was in use from 1926 to 1934 as terminal station for the line to Marysville (now western part of blue line). This line was planed to be prolongated via Lake City Place to Opera and Union Station and to connect there with the line to Glen Holden (now eastern part of the green line). But 1932 the tunnel in the Osaquoia Avenue was used for the gray line from Seneppi Avenue and the Marysville line get a new tunnel with a curve to the Minnonigan Avenue and - together with the brown line - under the Main Avenue. The old tracks to the Osaquoia Avenue never are used for the blue line and til now only used as service tracks between the blue and the silver line.