Katsnelson Central Station
|Other name(s)||Katsnelson, Katsnelson Central Park|
|Operated by||Commonian Railways|
Katsnelson Central is the main station serving the city of Katsnelson in Commonia. It sits immediately above the Inner Ring Road, south of Central Park, and East of Katsnelson Mall. The station is a regional and national interchange, with trains running from Monksbury, Marshall, Longines and Sommton in the north and from Dillekirk in the south.
The station opened in 1890, relieving Katsnelson Marshall station of congestion. Its name is misleading, as it is actually 2 miles south of the City Centre. It was named after nearby Central Park, rather than its location in the city. The station originally had 8 platforms, all dedicated to rail services. However in 1921, the Katsnelson Tram built a loop connecting the station, and Katsnelson Central gained a 9th and 10th platform.
In 1925, the railways were essentially nationalised, and because of this, urban rail systems were simplified. Part of the Longines-Sommton line was closed and mothballed, and the rest of the line linked to Katsnelson Station, and the surviving undoubled line doubled. Overall, this resulted in the closure of the only other competitor station vicinity, Central Park, as well as the stations Morningstar Road and Clifford. As a result, Katsnelson received an extension on the Western side to link up the former competitor line with its own. In 1939, the Katsnelson Metro was built, and because of dipping passenger numbers on local trains, platforms 1 and 2 were incorporated into the metro system. Because of the size of the trains, the end of platform 1 was demolished and the end of platform 2 was abandoned. In 1949 a 13th and 14th platform was built for the through Metro line to the University was built that ran parallel to the railway for most of its course.
Redevelopment and Modernisation
In the 1960s, Katsnelson Station was growing old and congested. Some parts had been in continuous use for 70 years. In 1970-4, a redevelopment project was launched, involving the reopening of lower platform 2 which was named 2A, the refurbishment of parts of the ticket hall and waiting areas and a restoration of the station's original facade. This project also involved a 15th overspill platform on the east side and the quadrupling of the tracks approaching the station to increase capacity. In 2010, the long awaited Katsnelson Station Tram project was completed, allowing all trams to call at Katsnelson Station.
|1||Bay Platform||Metro||1890||Marshall or Anastasia|
|2||Bay Platform||Metro||1890||Marshall or Anastasia|
|2A||Half-Bay Platform||Metro||1970||Marshall or Anastasia at peak times|
|3||Bay Platform||Rail Network||1890||Marshall-by-sea or Resort|
|4||Bay Platform||Rail Network||1890||Marshall-by-sea or Resort|
|5||Bay Platform||Rail Network||1890||Longines or Sommton|
|6||Bay Platform||Rail Network||1890||Longines or Sommton|
|7||Bay Platform||Rail Network||1890||Dannaford or Manchester|
|8||Bay Platform||Rail Network||1890||Dannaford or Manchester|
|10||Island Platform||Metro||1949||Katsnelson Airport|
|11||Island Platform||Rail Network||1925||Longines, Dannaford or Manchester|
|12||Island Platform||Rail Network||1925||Katsnelson Airport or Dillekirk|
|13||Island Platform||Rail Network||1970||Peak hour overspill|
|14||Through Platform||Tram||1921||Trelawny Gate|
|15||Through Platform||Tram||1921||Dmitri Mendeleev|