|Predecessor||Sadiemarkt, Breitka, and Aweleter Coast Railway|
|Successor||National Calliesanyan Railways|
|Service Area||Koya Prefecture|
|Electrification||1500V DC Overhead|
|Track Gauge||1435mm (4ft 8½in)|
The Koya Railway (Byri: image Tereinan pik Koya) was a major railway company in Calliesanyo from 1845 to 1964. Founded as the Sadiemarkt, Breitka, and Aweleter Coast Railway, its network extended from Sadiemarkt to Inatariẙ, with major branches to Endiri and Bandarī (via the Central Koya Joint Railway). It also had a significant suburban network, serving east and north-east Sadiemarkt. In the 1964 Railway Nationalization, the Koya Railway became part of the Central Region of National Calliesanyan Railways.
The Koya Railway is nationally recognised as the first railway to begin electrification of its services; the 1500V DC Overhead system pioneered by the Koya Railway becoming the standard for suburban electricifation across all of north Sadiemarkt. Additionally, the railway developed the Inari Docks, which remain the largest marine-port in the Sadiemarkt region.
Origins and Construction
The Koya Railway originated as a restructuring of the Sadiemarkt, Breitka, and Aweleter Coast Railway. The SB&ACR had, in 1842, completed it's mainline from Karasan Station (Between the modern site of the station with the same name and East Sadiemarkt Yard) to Pira, on the eastern coast of the Koya Peninsula. While this initial line was successful with the traveling public of the day, it's construction cost burdened the initial investment such that the SB&ACR was forced to restructure in 1845. Under new management, the Koya Railway began to recoup its initial debts and began expanding, first branching out into what was then the countryside around Sadiemarkt, creating the core of today's suburban network, before making it's first intercity route to Endiri.
The Endiri Line proved to be a challenge for the company, both in its engineering and in its local acceptance. Crossing the Central Koya Uplands required massive earthworks and seven tunnels in order to build a line of an acceptable gradient, the steepness of which caused early services from Sadiemarkt to Endiri to average only 26km/h (16mph). However, the speed of travel was not the main factor that limited the success of the Endiri line; local leaders, including the headmistress of the Endiri Grove School (now Endiri Kalisquian University) warned against the use of the railway, seeing easy travel to the capital as a possible corrupting influence on the citizens of the town. The railway undertook a campaign within the area to 'clean the image' of the railway and convince the populace of the 'morality of railways', which largely influenced a boom in traffic along the line a few months after its inital opening, however students of the Grove School were prohibited from traveling on the railway by the school administration until 1874.
The first extension to the East Koya Mainline was completed in 1860, when the line opened between Breikta and Kelokora. Express services between Sadiemarkt and Kelokora began a year after, and soon Kelokora became known nationwide as the 'Seaside resort of the Upper Class', with many prominent businessmen and capital socialites establishing residences in the village. The railway's influence on the town was such that between 1865 and 1875, the population grew from 7,500 to 22,750. Kelokora became a junction station in 1876, with the opening of the mainline to Inatariẙ in April, and the Central Koya Joint Railway in August.
Between 1876 and 1905, no new extensions opened, however the railway maintained work on improving the existing network, notably moving the Sadiemarkt terminal from Kasaran to its current location at Jopongibosho in 1880, and upgrading the line between Sadiemarkt and Kelokora to four tracks between 1889 and 1895. In 1905, the first electrification scheme entered service; an experimental four rail system was put into place on the Inari line. This scheme was maintained until 1917, when it was replace with an overhead system which subsequently became standard across the Koya Railway and most of the suburban railway network on Sadiemarkt's north side. By 1930, electrification extended across all of the suburban network, as well as along the East Koya Mainline as far as Kelokora.
In 1940, the Koya Railway began trialing diesel locomotives following successful implementation by the Sadiemarkt and Western Provinces Railway. Initial dieselization on the Koya Railway consisted of six shunting locomotives assigned to East Sadiemarkt Yard, followed by a trio of mainline units which entered service in 1945. Further dieselization was postponed by the Wartime Transportation Administration for the duration of the Great War, however after the cessation of hostilities in 1959, 8 new experimental diesels were introduced to the Koya Railway, being prototypes of what would become core classes of NCR Diesels after nationalization.
Koya Railway Routes
- East Koya Mainline
- Inari Line
- Northern Heights Line
- Endiri Line and Sōkōri Loop
- Tenjō Line
- Hirakō Loop
- Pira Line
Notable people connected to the Koya Railway include:
Consulting Civil Engineers
- 1845-1876: Jonzang Kō
- 1876-1894: Jōsana Mika
- 1894-1922: Bantō Desar
- 1922-1950: Sekari Rōti
Superintendents of Railway Stock
- 1845-1851: Jōset Menorata
- 1851-1873: Yōshio Duren
- 1873-1884: Kalisa Tenika
- 1884-1899: Hon-Tasarugo Mikari
- 1899-1912: Jōset Li
- 1912-1924: Gordon Mackenzie (from Ingerland)
- 1924-1939: Fesari Dōrōka
- 1939-1951: Annika Jorseti
- 1951-1964: Rekasō Kora
Liveries for painting locomotives adopted by successive Superintendents of Railway Stock
(1845-1851) Jōset Menorata
- All engines Goldenrod Yellow with Black lining.
(1851-1873) Yōshio Duren
- Passenger classes - Goldenrod Yellow with Black and Vermillion lining. Wheels painted Black until 1869.
- Goods classes - Black with Goldenrod Yellow lining.
(1873-1884) Kalisa Tenika and (1884-1899) Hon-Tasarugo Mikari
- Passenger classes - Forest Green with Goldenrod Yellow lining. Tender lining divided into three sections.
- Goods classes - unlined Black.
(1899-1912) Jōset Li
- All engines Forest Green with Goldenrod Yellow and Black lining. Tender lining undivided.
(1912-1924) Gordon Mackenzie
- Passenger classes - Royal Indigo with White lining.
- Goods classes - Forest Green with Goldenrod Yellow and Black lining. Tender lining undivided.
(1924-1939) Fesari Dōrōka
- Passenger classes - Royal Indigo with White and Gold lining. Tender lining divided into three sections.
- Goods classes - unlined Black.
(1939-1951) Annika Jorseti
- Passenger classes - Forest Green with Goldenrod Yellow and Black lining. Tender lining divided into three sections.
- Goods classes - unlined Forest Green.
- After 1950: All locomotives unlined Black.
(1951-1964) Rekasō Kora
- 1951-1959: All locomotives unlined Black.
- After 1959: All locomotives Forest Green with Goldenrod Yellow and Black lining. Tender lining undivided.
Accidents and incidents
- On 25 April 1901, a light engine collided with a commuter train near Kasaran due to signalling errors. Forty-five passengers were injured in the derailment.
- On 5 January 1952, a train carrying aviation fuel to Lisari Airfield was struck on the side by an empty passenger train at Breitka South. Six people were killed and thirty-two injured.
- Mirō, Sali (25 August 1845) "Railroad to Pira to be Restructured by Parliament" Sadiemarkt Morning Herald (Sadiemarkt)
- Asaron, Kintan (1985) Building the Koya Railway. Shendang: Shendang University Press.
- Author Unknown (5 June 1874) "Grove School Students Allowed Railway Travel" Endiri Times (Endiri, Byria Province)
- Official Records of the Koya Railway National Administration (1959). Housed at the National Railway Museum, Osenkō (Jarani)
- Li, Mekiẙ. "Liveries of the Koya Railway". Calliesanyan Railway Modelers' Reference. Retrieved 24 July, 2016.
- Maranika, Kalisa (1999) A History of Railway Safety Measures Sadiemarkt: Golden Star Publishing.
- Korani, Jōset (6 January 1952) "Train Explodes in Collision at Breitka South Station" Sadiemarkt Morning Herald (Sadiemarkt)
|Pre-Nationalization Railways in Calliesanyo listed by Nationalization Region|
|Northern Region||Great Northern Railway (North of Salariko), Sadiemarkt & North Western, Nokorizo Railways|
|Central Region||Koya Railway, Great Northern Railway (Sadiemarkt Suburban Lines only), Sadiemarkt & Western Provinces Railway|