Lapistan and Azurea
| This is a lost country (or other lost place) that no longer exists in OpenGeofiction.
In some cases, articles about lost countries or other lost places may be preserved as a record of someone's creative efforts long ago, but these articles have no bearing on the OpenGeofiction world. DO NOT use the information in these articles in developing histories. These countries are no longer "canon", which means that not only do they no longer exist, but they never existed in OGF history.
|6, 10.930, 13.140|
|United Republic of Lapistan and Azurea|
Vereinte Republik von Lapistan und Azurea
"Weißheit und Wissen, Unabhängigkeit und Souveränität, Freiheit und Friede!"
Wisdom and Knowledge, Independence and Sovereignty, Freedom and Peace!
Die geeinte Nation
|Green Examplese (53%), Purple Examplian (23%)|
The "Vereinte Republik von Lapistan und Azurea" (International Name: United Republic of Lapistan and Azurea) is a landlocked country in the Continent of Tarephia There is no capital yet.
- 1 Cultural
- 2 Government Structure
- 3 Regulatory bodys
- 3.1 Nationales Amt für Eisenbahnwesen
- 3.1.1 ==Payment processing=======
- 3.1.2 ==Types of Railway lines==
- 3.1.3 ===High Speed===
- 3.1.4 ===City Express===
- 3.1.5 ===City & City Sleeper===
- 3.1.6 ===Regional Express & Regional===
- 3.1.7 ===S-Bahn & RegioTram===
- 3.1.8 ===Tram and Subway===
- 3.1.9 ==Operations guidance and Signals==
- 3.1.10 ===Sign-Signals===
- 3.1.11 ====Speed====
- 3.1.12 ====Power====
- 3.1.13 ====End of Track====
- 3.1.14 ====Staff=====
- 3.1.15 ===Light signals===
- 3.1.16 ====LAGEBASI====
- 3.1.17 ====Minor light signals====
- 3.1.18 ===In-Cab-Signalling/KASSYS===
- 3.1.19 ====Versions====
- 3.1.20 =====KASSYS-0=====
- 3.1.21 =====KASSYS-1=====
- 3.1.22 =====KASSYS-2=====
- 3.1.23 =====KASSYS-10=====
- 3.1.24 =====KASSYS-20=====
- 3.1.25 =Nationale Transportsicherheitsstelle=
- 3.1.26 =International Railway Union=
- 3.1.27 Network Operators
- 3.1.28 =Infrastructure=
- 3.1.29 ==Bahnhofsbetriebs AG==
- 3.1.30 ===LAB Netz AG===
- 3.1.31 ===Westnetz GmbH===
- 3.1.32 ===BBBGS-RI GmbH===
- 3.1.33 ===Industrial spurs and private branches===
- 3.1.34 =Lines=
- 3.1.35 ==Operators of Goods transports==
- 3.1.36 ===FerroWays===
- 3.1.37 ==Operators of local commuter lines==
- 3.1.38 TransWestBahn=====
- 188.8.131.52 ===Verkehrsbetriebe Neuhafen===
- 184.108.40.206 ===Bad Bergersheimer Bahngesellschaft===
- 220.127.116.11 ==Operators of long distance lines==
- 18.104.22.168 ===FerroWays===
- 22.214.171.124 ==Operators of historic and other lines==
- 126.96.36.199 ===FerroWays===
- 188.8.131.52 =Other=
- 184.108.40.206 ==Manufacturers of rolling Stock==
- 220.127.116.11 ===Ceder Waggonbau===
- 18.104.22.168 ===Zerrodo Lokfabrik===
- 22.214.171.124 ===Fessmann Sonderbauten===
- 126.96.36.199 ===Ziesheimer Waggon===
- 188.8.131.52 ===Vereinigte Eisenbahnwerke===
- 184.108.40.206 ===SierraRail===
- 220.127.116.11 ===Schmitt & Hagel===
- 18.104.22.168 ===VSH===
- 22.214.171.124 ==Eisenbahnhochgeschwindigkeitsforschungszentrum Falkenhagen==
- 126.96.36.199 ==SFL-Leasing AG==
- 3.1.39 Security
- 3.2 Utilities
- 3.3 Links and references
- 3.1 Nationales Amt für Eisenbahnwesen
The country has several languages, the main language of the people is a gaermanic language called T'schermän (internationally known as T'schermenn), which is spoken by almost everyone born and raised in Lapistan and Azurea. There are a few more local variants that are explained further here.
Gjaarmaan, or internationally known as North-T'schermenn, is a dialect spoken mainly in Deserterria. It has it's own alphabet and misses some letters, most noted e, h and k.
States, Districs and Cities
The Country contains four States (Bundesländer):
Each State has a reference number which is also carried by the Districs, Municipalities/Cities and Countries in it. For example, the City of Neuhafen's ref is WWN-S which stands for Westannex -> Westannex-West -> Neuhafen, the -S stands for "Stadt" (City) to not confuse it with the County of Neuhafen (ref: WWN-L; the L stands for "Landkreis")
Most of the Countrys transport services rely heavily onto Boats and Rails, Neuhafen is the main Import-Port for the Country
Road based transport
Road reference numbers
The reference numbers of Roads is to be determined in the following way:
- First Letter: reference of the State
- Second Letter: Type of road [Primary|Secondary|Tertiary|Trunks (X)|International connectors (Z)] (Omitted for Motorways)
- Even Number: East-West
- Odd Number: North-South
- Ending with Zero: Circular
The length of the Number determines the length of the road, a Road labeled W 11 will be longer than one labeled W 133.
If a road ends with a letter (for example WP 1a) this is an alternative route to the regular road with that reference number.
Normal format: (State ref)(Province ref to numbers)-(3 Counting up letters)(3 Counting up numbers)(Validation number) E.g.
First plate: W11-AAA-111-X
Second plate: W11-AAA-112-X
and so on...
Due to the amount of content this part has been moved to a spearate page
Main gauge width in most of the country is 1435mm, but there are a few narrow gauge tracks in parks and museums. The State of Deserterria contains some broader gauge (1650 mm), freight only, non-electrified railways. If a line is electrified the power is usually supplied via overhead wire, 25kV 60Hz, height of the line: 6.5m (1m for rolling stock base, 4,5m for Cargo, 1m for security clearance), but some (metro) lines have a third rail.
Nationales Amt für Eisenbahnwesen
The Nationales Amt für Eisenbahnwesen(National Railway Bureau) coordinates the service between all partys that are involved in any kind of rail transportation. Responsibilities include:
- Railway line numbering
- Certification of regulatory compliance
- For railway staff
- Rolling stock
- Foreign rail companies
- Implementation of necessary international standards as national law.
- Payment processing
- of signalling systems
- Track geometry
- Rolling stock
- Arbitration body for conflicts between companys
A new payment processing standard was developed in 1992, deployment started in 1993 and finished in 1999, it was ratified by the IRU in 1995 The payment processing was a difficult process in the past but now each owner change is equipped with balises which have a maximum passing speed of 500 km/h. For example a highspeed train traveling from Deserterria to Westannex uses rails from up to four different companies and the stations of the Bahnhofsbetriebs AG, which would be really difficult to account with traditional technology. Each train has to carry a toll processing module which senses the currently used track with the help of balises and sends it to the Bureau, where the fees are calculated and, after payment by the operator of the train, is then transferred to the operators of the track, see this overpass query and this wikipedia article for further information.
==Types of Railway lines==
Sorted by speed and purpose:
Connecting major citys on purpose built high speed tracks
Connecting major citys on high speed tracks and regular tracks (Leaves out stops)
===City & City Sleeper===
Connecting citys on high speed tracks and regular tracks (Leaves out stops)
===Regional Express & Regional===
- Regional Express
Connecting citys and big settlement blobs via regular tracks (Leaves out stops)
Connecting citys and settlements via regular tracks (Leaves out no stops)
===S-Bahn & RegioTram===
Inside the city, connects it with surrounding settlements (Leaves out no stops), fast acceleration for faster commute
Connects the inner City as a tram but has connection to the national railway system and connects the surrounding settlements to the city center without transfer
===Tram and Subway===
Traveling inside citys, normally don't travel to the surounding settlements, no connection to national railway system
==Operations guidance and Signals==
Numbers x 10 = announced Speed, e.g. 12 x 10 = 120 km/h
- Round Signs: Announcement signal
- Square Signs: Point after which annouced speed must not be exceeded
- White Background: Until further notice
- Black Background: Until the next switch is passed
- Orange Background: Long term temporal speeds (e.g. Construction works, structural limits)
- Red letters with lights: Temporal speed reduction due to construction etc, lights are lit when people are working.
====End of Track====
In the beginning, every railway network operator used different, incompatible, sometimes similar-looking signals, which led to too much accidents and fatalities, thus the LAGEBASI (Lapistan und Azurea Gemeinschaftsbahnsignal) was developed (Picture on the right).
====Minor light signals====
Development of the KASSYS (Kabinensignalisierungssystem started in the late seventies. Main reason for the development was to drive with higher speeds, where normal light signals are unreadable. Another reason for this development was to submit better information to the train driver and to have a constant data line for monitoring and reporting. Data is transmitted with via loops in the tracks, see 
First version to be developed, Features:
- Basic operation signals (halt, drive, emergency-stop,override)
- Speed information
- Distance to next signal
- Basic data-up/downlink
First version to be actually implemented on the network, New features from Version 0:
- Train position detection
- Automatic emergency declaration (Driver doesn't respond, fire detection system alerts etc.)
- Enhanced data-up/downlink
All current HSR-Lines are equipped with this version. New features from Version 1:
- Timetable information
- Shorter blocks [300m instead of 1 km])
Currently being rolled out nationwide, also known as LIAISON (Linienbasierte, automatische integrierte Zugsteuerung und Organisation) complete software rewrite and new hardware along the tracks, but the data transmission loops in the tracks stay the same, additional communication via a separate mobile network, fallback mode to KASSYS-2 if mobile network fails. Trains without KASSYS-10-Equipment pay a higher track usage fee on frequently used tracks after the system is implemented nationwide.
New Features from KASSYS-2:
- Moving Block/Fahren im absoluten Bremswegabstand, one train can follow another one at high speeds right at the braking distance, this feature was added to get the most out of highly occupied HSR-Tracks, the following train automatically slows down if the communication to the preceding train is lost.
- Reversing Trains can be automatically allowed to reverse (e.g. when there is a fire in a tunnel)
- Additional railway-only mobile communication network Data-Link
- Redundant Data delivery via Data transmission loop and mobil network
- Commands can be send to Driver via mobile network instead of costly data transmission loops inside the track, tracks only need to contain passive infrastructure to detect the position of the train, same system used as for the Payment processing, therefore cheaper to implement on other tracks
Development just started. New Features from KASSYS-10:
- Automatic transmission of track-geometry statistics for better maintenace.
- Better handling of trans border traffic (with non-KASSYS-Trainsets) via FEE (Fremddateneinleseeinheit, Foreign Data Importing Unit), small device to be attached to a foreign vehicles internal Bus-System/Fieldbus which communicates with the railways mobile data network.
=International Railway Union=
Moved to a separate artice
There are multiple railway-network Operators inside Lapistan and Azurea
Owns all the stations and platforms,the Bahnhofsbetriebs AG plans and manages the nations railway station and halts, it has local divisions in all states. The states own 51% of the company shares (Railway Bureau), 24,5% of the Shares are owned by the network operators, 24,5% are owned by the Partnership of Train operators.
- Stations and Halts
- Goods Terminals
===LAB Netz AG===
LAB Netz AG is the operator of the high speed Railway lines in all four states.
The Westnetz GmbH operates the biggest railway network in Westannex, connects the Habour of Neuhafen with the rest of the country.
Bad Bergersheimer Bahngesellschaft - Railway Infrastructure GmbH owns the track that connects Bad Bergersheim with Hohenstein
===Industrial spurs and private branches===
Lapistan and Azurea features a lot of private brances and industrial spurs that are connected to the nations railway network, but these are too much (and too insignificant to be named here) FIXME: Create overpass
==Operators of Goods transports==
The FerroWays Gütertransportgesellschaft mbH provides whole train solutions for bulk goods like coal and ore from/to the ports and neighboring countrys.
==Operators of local commuter lines==
=====The united Republic features a multitude of railway operators.
Main source of income for TransWestBahn AG the is the operation of commuter lines to Neuhafen from the intermediate towns and villages, it operates mainly west of Neuhafen.
The Verkehrsbetriebe Neuhafen are wholly owned by the City of Neuhafen and offer transport services in and around Neuhafen, the use of a Tram Train System is a novelity in the whole region. It was introduced due to the fact that a lot of people don't like to change from trains to trams and vice versa to get to/from the inner city, the Tram-Train combines the advantage of not having to change Trains with the ease of use from a light rail system and the speed of an S-train
===Bad Bergersheimer Bahngesellschaft===
Headquatered in Bad Bergersheim, Westannex, the Bad Bergersheimer Bahngesellschaft (BBBGS for short) serves regional trains east of Neuhafen to Kehrenheim and via ferry there to Aigermoos. It's infrastructure company is the BBBGS Railway Infrastructure GmbH , the maintenance depot is located in Bad Bergersheim
==Operators of long distance lines==
The FerroWays Personentransportgesellschaft mbH operates long distance lines across multiple states.
==Operators of historic and other lines==
The FerroWays Event&Histor GmbH is specialised in historic and event services, providing nostalgic trains including steam engines and special rolling stock.
==Manufacturers of rolling Stock==
GmbH, Passagierw (Normal/Schlaf), Güterw
KG, Diesel (Rangier)
GmbH, Diesel (Rangier), Wartungsfahrzeuge, Passagierw (Schlaf/Luxus/Event)
AG, Passagierw, Güterw
KG, Diesel (Rangier, Strecke) E (Strecke, Last Mile Hybrid[LMH]), Triebzug [TZ](Diesel, E, Hybrid)
AG, TZ (E), Passagierw (Schlaf/Luxus/Event)
===Schmitt & Hagel===
AG, E (Strecke, LMH), TZ (E)
Volske-Schneider-Heller KG, TZ (Diesel), Passagierw, Wartungsfahrzeuge
The Eisenbahnhochgeschwindigkeitsforschungszentrum Falkenhagen, operated by the EHGFZ Falkenhagen GmbH (which is fully state owned) features more than 85 kilometers of regular rail with max speeds up to 350 kilometers per hour and more than 40 kilometers of Maglev tracks with an maxspeed of up to 500 km/h to carry the countrys railways industry into the next Millennia and beyond. It has its own power substation and is availiable to foreign railway companies so that they may test their rolling stock. The Voltage of the overhead-line can be adjusted. The EHGFZ Falkenhagen GmbH further offers consulting services for countrys and network operators which are planning to extend their railway network, including subcontraction of different building and engineering companys to create ready to use networks.
The SFL-Leasing AG provides Dry or SMI ([Rolling-]Stock, Maintenance, Insurance) leasing solutions
There is a Ministry for Internal Affairs, which governs the four main Police for each state.
Most of the major utility providers operate as private stock corporations due to the fact that this way each owning governmental body (States, Municipalities/Cities) has an equal voting power. The shares of said companies are not traded public, in fact it is forbidden for the entitys to even offer the shares to the public market, the maximum a gov. body is allowed to do is to offer the shares to the next higher entity (e.g. Municipality offers their shares to the County/State).
The countrys main high Voltage line are operated by the "Hochvoltnetze AG" (HVN-AG), which is a founding member of the TransContinetalPowerNetwork.
Medium and Low Voltage
The medium voltage lines are operated by local utility providers.
Due to the desert climate in the Northern State there are plans to construct a large reservoir in the Southern Rainforest to transport water with Pipelines to the north to stop ongoing desertification.