|14, 41.5950, 125.8848|
|• Mayor||Pavyel Yumadek|
|• City limits||108.76 km2|
Nevensad (Standard Sanain pronunciation: /'nɛvɛnsad/) is one of the three provincial-level cities of, and the second-largest city in, the Republic of Sãikyel. It is a major commercial and cultural hub of the south, as well as Uletha, and is home to the largest airport in the country by passenger and cargo traffic. Nevensad lies on the Niva river, north of the confluence of the Lakdenik and Vaskar.
Once the capital of the Kingdom of Nevensad, the modern city contains conspicuous remnants of its past history that were not razed in the Sanain War, in which the Kingdom of Nevensad took part. Some of these sites include the Iryalde and San Estvan parks, the Royal Cathedrals of San Domyeti, San Brizit, San Podlã and, most notably, the cathedrals of Habesta and San Germãn (also known as Ubogi). Other tourist attractions include the gates of Sanki and Gobrassanya, the eleven bridges across the Niva, Napura Boulevard, Vay Voltã, the Opera, museums, and the numerous palaces around the city. Among the museums of the city, the most notable and culturally important are the Red Palace, Royal Hermitage on the banks of Iryalde Channel, the Neveni Muzyei, the Royal Heritage Museum, the Museum of Ulethan Culture, the Sanain Museum of Military History, and the Museum of Modern Art. The city is also a center for education and science, with its Pandosori Observatory, National Military Hospital, Royal Disease Institute, Republic University, and one of the largest campuses of the University of Sãikyel.
Nevensad is the center of an urban agglomeration that extends to the surrounding cities of Felo, Kabnik, Vãikili, and Gau (all important national hubs). It is the southern core of the nationwide transportation infrastructure, with intercity and international connections by rail, plane, ship, and motorway. Its position on the boundary of the Sanain Steppe and northern temperate forest provides the region with agricultural and timber resources.
It has several important sports venues, including Republic Stadium, Kuvane Stadium, and the national centers for tennis and gymnastics. Nevensad's Mulon Torvoski Arena holds the national Magy Relay tennis competitions, and the Arena Gimnãstiki and neighboring Limyost Complex are the site of the annual gymnastics and athletics tournaments. The association football team Nevensad FK is based in Kuvane Stadium in the suburb of Tan Konyek.
The name Nevensad comes from the Old Sanain word *ni, which was the name of one of the four original tribes inhabiting early Sãikyel. Neven is a genitive form of Ni attested only from the 10th century AD onward, as the previous Old Sanain language probably used the modification *nī. Sad is the generic Sanain term for any city or town.
The city most likely earned its nickname "the Second Capital" (Dello Kodasad) from the fact that it is the second-largest city in the country, as well as its position as capital of the once-stronger Kingdom of Nevensad. In addition, Nevensad played a vital role in the early post-Sanain War years, with most of the newly unified country's politics revolving around the condition and legacy of old political organs in the city. At several points in the second half of the 20th century, the population of Nevensad was greater than Sãikyel Sad or Hanbibi.
The area around lake Felo was originally settled as early as the 2nd century BC. Not much is known about these peoples, however, and the lack of anthropological evidence of settlements leads to the conclusion that they were nomadic hunter-gatherers. They had probably moved north from southern Uletha, and were likely using the ecological resources in the steppes and mountains of the present area to sustain small villages of mobile peoples.
By the 5th century, these peoples had diverged into four tribes inhabiting the same area: the Fel, Ni, Huna, and Varva. While the Varva and Huna peoples migrated north and east respectively, the Fel and Ni continued to permanently inhabit the southwestern corner of the country, building small villages and creating the first known permanent settlements in Sanain lands. The 6th century saw the movement of the Ni peoples up to beginning of the Niva at the confluence of the Lakdenik and Vaskar. A sizeable village was founded on a large natural island in the Niva about 10 kilometers from the confluence. Local sources and artifacts call this settlement Ral-dam or Rel-dem, dem being the Middle Sanain word for "island" (the source of this word is Old Sanain *tma, from which modern Sanain toma comes). Sanain linguists specializing in Middle to modern Sanain agree that the modern Iryalde is a corruption of the original term.
Local tribes and neighboring villages had begun to trade with the Ni peoples in the late 6th century, establishing a strong local economy and mutual ties. It was not until the 10th century AD that the city became Nevensad, as neighboring villages were usually named "Nevenkalt", "Nikalt", "Nevenisat", or a variation on these, all essentially meaning "village/town of the Neven." Its favorable position allowed it to grow and become more dominant over the area, and in 950 AD Paidon of the Neven (from which the suburb Paidon uzy Nivas gets its name), the ruler of the Neven lands, renamed the city to Nevensat.
Bid to be Ulethan Capital of Culture
Nevensad is bidding to be the Ulethan Capital of Culture for 2018. It officially submitted its bid on May 31st, 2017.
Churches and cathedrals
The Nevensad Metro is the regional metropolitan rapid-transit system. It serves the entire city and the surrounding urban area. It was begun in 1928, shortly after the end of the Sanain War, and experienced a rapid spread across the area in the post-war infrastructure boom. Originally only three lines (the modern N1, N2, N3 and N3a), it expanded first to five in 1950 (to accommodate the growing suburbs of Aleilud, Samopoduid, and Bodyoki Han), then to eight in 1973, and ten in 1985. The N11 line was built in 1992, and the short N3a, which connects the busy N1 and N3 lines, was opened in 2006.
- The discrepancy in pronunciation of the original and modern names is due to the way final consonants were vocalized in Middle Sanain. Until about the 1600s, all final consonants remained unvocalized regardless of how the word was written in the Sanain script, as well as with the introduction of the Ingerish alphabet. The first document mentioning Nevensad and not Nevensat dates from 1565, and the spelling became standard after the Principality of Nevensad adopted it officially in 1610.