As the manager of Woolonia (an entirely collaborative nation), and as the country slowly develops, I thought there should be a page to discuss the work that needs to be done, similar to the OGF:Gobras City page about collaboration there. On the talk page any discussion about certain projects can be discussed. This page is about Woolonia as a project, as a culture, and as the fictional history applies. --Ernestpcosby (talk) 23:00, 24 October 2015 (CEST)
|Warning: This project is in the process of changing drastically. Most of the information currently listed is subject to change. Please hold for more updated information, and understand that only the information listed under NEW PROPOSAL is going to apply to the new collaborative project.|
|7, -31.747, 28.630|
"The Lord is My Shepherd, I shall not want"
The Lord is My Shepherd, I shall not want
Song of the Shepherd
|Capital||New Wooley (3.2 million)|
|Largest city||Woolport (6.9 million)|
|Currency||Woolen, symbol w`|
|Drives on the||right|
- 1 NEW PROPOSAL- STARTING DETAILS
- 2 NEW PROPOSAL- Projects
- 2.1 Large Scale/ long scale
- 2.2 Concepts that need to be further established
- 2.3 Mapping
- 3 OLD PROPOSAL
- 4 NOTE- DO NOT EDIT IN MAYDIEN UNTIL APPROVAL IS GRANTED
NEW PROPOSAL- STARTING DETAILS
Some details can be found in the comments on this user diary entry here. A brief summary of the main discussion for the new proposal follows:
The initial suggestion that largely would develop into the "Land of the Wool" concept came from isleño:
- "My suggestion would be: why not make this territory into something really unique? How about a sheep-focused traditional society in very poor developing country with almost no motorways — and perhaps use a word generator to give it a totally original language, one that feels distinctly un-European... maybe representing an indigenous culture of this continent?
- I don’t know… it would just be so refreshing to see a really foreign place develop here."
I followed that up with a brainstorm about how to integrate that concept with the original Woolonia idea:
- "...Basically, the country would be split into two countries,
- A small area, mostly coastal, that would be the more modern "Woolonia" closer to how we know it today, a more modern society due to minor colonization but still largely based around sheep. Most motorways would be downgraded or deleted, cities would be slightly de-modernized and made a bit poorer, and all areas west of the coastal stretch of cities would become organized sheep pastures and pasture towns. And,
- a much larger country to the west, the indigenous "Land of the Woolen" (that name, of course, would be translated into a new unique language) that would have no motorways, no cities, very poor, and largely consist of small near-native shepherding communities, pastures, and other large natural fields. All motorways would be deleted, the language would be changed to native original language, and it would mostly mostly an open expanse of land with shepherding communities, pastures, fields, etc, a very poor developing country, at odds with the modern Woolonia to the east.
- This would also work well with the idea of the war, which could be changed from a civil war into a war between traditional warriors from the Land of the Wool and the government of the modern Woolonia, who would have tried to claim the Land of the Woolen in the late 1900s. It would also give a reason for the persisting conflict between traditional natives from the Land of the Wool who feel their land is being stolen from them and the modernized coast nation of Woolonia.
- The modern part would also make more sense here. As a mostly coastal stretch of land, it would make sense that it was an area that had been colonized, perhaps for use as a shipping port of sorts, considering it's location in such a valuable shipping corridor. Perhaps they would exploit the location for shipping the wool the shepherds of the "Land of the Woolen" collected from their sheep to various countries around the world, while also getting most of the profits.
- This way, the original concept isn't lost, but is reformed in a way that creates a much more interesting dialogue, creates a history, a conflict, as well as opening the door for the awesome idea that I do really like of having a highly traditional society based mostly off native Antarephian culture. It also gives the more modern Woolonia side more of a slightly darker tone, which gives me some room to play with (since Freedemia is more on the nice, pacifist, respectful end of things)..."
NEW PROPOSAL- Projects
Large Scale/ long scale
Language for the "Land of the Woolen"
The "Land of the Woolen" will have a unique language that reflects its native culture and history
New flags for Woolonia and "Land of the Woolen"
The design of these will likely be influenced by the history developed for Woolonia and "Land of the Woolen"
Concepts that need to be further established
Transformation of New Wooley into an ancient trading city in the "Land of the Woolen", but retaining much of the grid system
New Border between Woolonia and "Land of the Woolen"
(as shown in the picture above with the separate nations)
Deletion of motorways in "Land of the Woolen"
| Warning: All information in this section is from the OLD Woolonia proposal, and is inaccurate for the new version of this project. Please see above information for more accurate details.
Woolonia is a modern herding society. Nearly all of its industry revolves around products and things related to the country's over abundance of sheep.
Woolonia is now the producer of 74 percent of the world's wool. Woolonia is also famous for its lamb dishes, and is one of the largest exporters of sheep and goat products (milks, cheeses, meat, soaps, etc).
Over 50% of male adults work as shepherds or in the care of sheep. Another large percentage of the population work in sheep product industries.
New Wooley is the capital of all of Woolonia. It has a large amount of contours that need to stay there, but we are also looking to have an improved road and metro system. There are currently trams still randomly placed on some streets and I hope to eventually see that get fixed. Long term I would also like to see a better organization and explanation of the freeways running through the city.
Me and @Belphenia Project have taken leadership roles on this one. Las Ovejas was one of the largest problem spots in Woolonia, as it was an exact duplicate of Los Angeles. @Belphenia Project has taken a larger role in working to replace and reform the city into a better fit for the country and the OGF world as a whole.
The largest major city other than Las Ovejas that has been mostly formed. Most of the city is already in good shape, but we need someone to help figure out the subway system and work on details of the areas east of the Wool River surrounding Ewes.
Centerport, Woolbridge, etc
If there is a place with a city name and no city, such as Centerport and Woolbridge, feel free to set out to create one! But just be sure to remember that Woolonia is a sheep centered society. Please look at the descriptions of culture and such on the Woolonia and Talk:Woolonia pages. Large park-like sheep pastures are especially great, and give the city that sheep=centered feel. Centerport is supposed to be a port city, similar to Woolport.
If there is a place in Woolonia with a town name, but no town, please feel free to develop a small rural area centered around sheep herding.
NOTE- DO NOT EDIT IN MAYDIEN UNTIL APPROVAL IS GRANTED
MAYDIEN IS CURRENTLY NOT PART OF COLLABORATIVE WOOLONIA AND IS OWNED BY User:BelpheniaProject. MAYDIEN WILL BE MOVING TO A GREEN COUNTRY, BUT IN THE MEANTIME PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THERE UNTIL THE GO-AHEAD IS GIVEN. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION.
Also see here for more information
more to come