|13, -5.3268, 29.6700|
|Founded||15 January 1856|
|Grant of Rights||20 March 1882|
|• Mayor||Wendy Dean|
|• Area||539.94 km2|
208.47 sq mi
|Elevation||624 m (2,047 ft)|
|• Census (2017)||107,313|
Radern (/reɪ'dɜːrn/ ray-DERN), is the capital and most populous city of the Vodean province of Vadiorare. Radern is located on the northern side of Lake Vadiorare between the borders with Dania to the south-west and TA099 to the east, and is 235 kilometres south-east of Silverton and 437 kilometres south-west of Gerrise, making it Vodeo's southernmost city. The city recorded a population of 152,313 at the 2017 census, and its inhabitants are called Radernians.
Prior to development, the Radern area had been occupied for possibly as long as 10,000 years by the Vadiorare tribe, a sub-tribe of the ethnic Etallics of south-western Vodeo. Radern, like much of Vadiorare, was undeveloped until the 1850s, when the St Austellian and Queensborough governments began settling the area. Radern was established in 1856 as Malvern, changing to Radern in 1880, and was named the capital of Vadiorare in 1888, making it Vodeo's newest capital city both in terms of age and status. Radern grew as a result of both the mining industry and its proximity to Dania and TA099, which allowed it to grow into Vodeo's largest border city by the turn of the 20th century. The city today remains one of Vodeo's most important border cities, alongside Aceis, Empire's End, and Schellingen due to its location on the important freight corridor linking Silverton to Ichiraku and Dania.
Archaelogical evidence suggests that the local Vadiorare tribe had begun inhabiting the area around Lake Vadiorare as early as 8,000 BC, and that their largest settlement was located on the banks of the Berai River. The existence of the lake area remained unknown to Ingerish settlers until 1714, when an expedition to follow the River Cohe discovered both the lake and its tribespeople. The Vadiorare tribe was described as "hostile, and very unwelcoming to the arrival of Whites", and this reception, coupled with the dense jungle and rugged terrain, discouraged further settlement or exploration for more than a century.
Interest in the Lake Vadiorare area resurfaced in the 1840s when the St Austellian government, concerned that Dania or TA099 may seek to take the entirety of the Lake Vadiorare area for themselves, implemented a settlement scheme. By the late 1840s, a number of towns and villages had been established along the River Cohe, but the impenetrable jungle and rugged terrain thwarted further attempts to establish white settlements south of Hopetoun. Settlers had also been unwilling to continue past Hopetoun for fears of attack by the Vadiorare tribe, one of the few in Vodeo to still hold sizeable tracts of land, who had warned white settlers not to encroach on their territory.
Armed conflict erupted when a St Austellian Army expedition to Lake Vadiorare was attacked near Warford in September 1850. The St Austellian government responded with a full-scale invasion of the Lake Vadiorare region in December that year, partly to crush the Vadiorare rebellion, and partly to force a way through to the lake to allow settlement. A bitter guerilla war was fought, however the size of the invasion, coupled with the fast extension south of both the Great South Road and the railway line, saw the tribes driven out of the Lake Vadiorare region by mid-1851. To cement St Austellian control over the area, a military fort was established at Acenra in September 1851, paving the way for further settlement.
The first white settlement established on Lake Vadiorare was at Carrenra, south of the fort, in December 1851; this was followed by a number of settlers arriving to establish farmsteads and villages around the Malvern Valley, including Warford, Templeton, and Storanc. The slow pace of settlement proved unsatisfactory for the governments of both St Austell and Queensborough, who wanted to cement their presence on the north-western third of Lake Vadiorare. In 1855, plans were drawn up for a new settlement across the River Cohe from the fort at Acenra, named Malvern in honour of Captain Ernest Malvern, who had led the invasion five years prior.
Malvern was established on January 15, 1856 with the arrival of the first settlers along the Great South Road. Settlement proved to be very slow due to the poor quality of the Great South Road, however this problem was solved by the early 1860s with the extension of the railway line to Radern and the construction of a new road through the Soroi Valley to Caredi, which, although longer, was easier to traverse. The discovery of rich coal seams in the 1859 and 1860 brought a population boom, with Radern's population swelling from 121 to more than 11,000 in the seven years between 1856 and 1863.