Railways in Kanitario
The Kanitario State Railway System is one of the most extensive state-wide systems in any state in the FSA. Due to the state's positioning, connections with the rest of the FSA are minimal, however there are several leading into adjacent countries.
The freight railway system has flourished in Kanitario ever since the first railways were built in the 1870s. The state is dominated by two railways - Kanitario Southern and Great Lakes Western. They are in direct competition with one another, although KSR is more prominent south of Aspera and GLW is more prominent in the north.
Kanitario Southern Railway (KSR)
Being founded in 1872, KSR has its roots in the city of Corona. At the time, Corona was growing rapidly, and a railway connection with the nearby capital Aspera was deemed necessary. Getting goods from the agricultural heartland to the major port rapidly was essential. KSR officially opened its first line from Corona to Aspera Central via Shelburne in 1877. Goods were often then loaded onto ships and carried to neighbouring states.
From then on, the system was set to grow. Lines reached Loyalist and Veilbank in 1903, Battle Creek by 1905, Huntsbridge by 1913 and even as far as Frontenac in 1927. International connections were established and passenger transportation boomed.
Great Lakes Western Railway (GLW)
GLW was founded in 1894, when a few small railways in varying degrees of financial stability merged. GLW's priority was linking the port of Aspera directly to the ocean in the northwest, allowing a seamless ship-train-ship transition for goods. Their first mainline in KT was created by merging smaller mainlines between Aspera and Frontenac and eventually extending it northwards to Westlake River. They, too, saw rapid expansion across the state, this time in the northern half.
Founded in 1965, Asperalink was the first purpose-built modern commuter railway in Archanta. As the freight railways wound down their passenger operations, the cities of Greater Aspera decided to establish a commuter railway system on the now quiet tracks. Thus, Anchor Bay Metrorail was founded. The first line opened between Bayswater and Atomic City via Union in 1966. Since then, the system has expanded to include eleven lines to destinations across southern Kanitario. It was renamed Asperalink in 1988.
Kanitario's awkward position in relation to the rest of the FSA means that it's poorly served by ArchRail. The GAA, now excellently served by ABM/Asperalink, was the only area with regular rail service. Only Aspera and Frontenac saw direct connections to the rest of the FSA by ArchRail. In 1996, KanGO was established as a state-wide rail system. Using the freight-owned tracks and long-abandoned stations, KanGO had the goal of serving the areas ArchRail missed and Asperalink didn't reach. The first route, Corona to Aspera, opened in 1998. Aspera to Frontenac followed six months later, and in 1999 the system had four routes.
KanGO is an essential part of the state transport system, serving towns that are otherwise nearly impossible to get to.
Aspera Union Station
By 1914, Aspera Central was past capacity. Both KSR and GLW had grown so quickly transporting goods and people and acquiring other railways that something had to be done. GLW built Strachan Terminal in 1916, now abandoned, on Yonge north of downtown to act as a secondary terminal. In 1920, the two railways began to work together and pool money for the construction of a new terminal. The terminal building was complete by 1926, however the railways and governments were still arguing about track layout. Thus, Aspera Union Station opened in 1932. The terminal was very opulent and became the city's most popular landmark.
In 1993, the city planned to completely revitalize downtown. The plan, known as Metro City, would've transformed the downtown core forever. The project almost went forward, however there was a catch: Union Station would've had to be demolished in favour of a new terminal. In the end, the desire to save Union beat out the desire for a new downtown and Metro City was cancelled in 1995. Some aspects were put in place however, namely the Kanitario Convention Centre.