|Headquarters||RM Hús, Dunwic|
|Character||Heavy rail, both intercity and regional|
Railweg Myrcia (Ingerish: Myrcian Railways) is the state-owned and operated railway network in Myrcia. Its international subsidiary RMI (Railweg Myrcia International) operates rail and urban transit systems in other nations under franchise.
The first railway in Myrcia was built by the Great Mercian Corporation with support from the Ingerish government. Work started on the line from Dunwic to St Grimbald in 1876 with the first section from the capital to St Lór opening in 1880 and the section to St Grimbald opening in 1882. The next line to be constructed was from Dunwic to Nórdport, the section to St Alfæd opened in 1890 with the final coastal section to Nórdport following in 1896. Both these lines operated with steam engines on both passenger and freight services but neither made a profit in their years of operation by GMC which meant that no further investment was made in the railway system until after the Rihtwísness
One of the major focuses for the Rihtwísness was the power of the GMC and the influence of the Ingerish state in Myrcian industry and infrastructure. Following the Rihtwísness revolution of 1909-11 the GMC was nationalised and its railway assets were transferred to a state-owned and run corporation known as the Mercian Railway Corporation, its name changed in 1914 to the Myrcised to Railweg Myrcia (RM). In 1924 RM began work on a cross-country railway line to connect the capital city with the north-western coast of the country. This line opened as far as Oltáfon in 1927, Yárbrig the following year and Burhbrig in 1930. It was the first line in Myrcia to be operated by electric locomotives but this was a system plagued with difficulties which meant that steam was more often seen during the early years of its operation.
Following the establishment of the Folcyning (Socialist State) in 1952 the railways were seen as key to the fulfilment of economic plans and to the growth and prosperity of the nation as a whole. In 1959 the Folclæder decided that a new line ought to be constructed connecting St Grimbald with Portskye in order to speed the export of fish from the Súdhilfad islands and increase the potential for tourism in southern Myrcia. The line began construction in 1960 and opened as far as Beremúth in 1963 and Portskye in 1965. Other than urban lines in and around Dunwic this was the last major railway building to occur in Myrcia.
The railways did suffer a drop in passenger and freight numbers as economic sanctions by Ulethan countries were felt during the 1960s and 70s. The implementation of the Worðigbyrdnys (Self-sufficiency) economic plan in 1976 included a focus on containerisation and the transfer of more freight from the roads to the rails. Most Myrcian cities developed multi-modal freight depots which meant that standardised containers could be easily transferred from rail wagons to lorries, ships and even bicycles for onward delivery. As oil prices remained stubbornly high in Myrcia for much of this period a decision was made to maintain steam trains on major inter-city routes well into the 1980s. This economic necessity meant that steam locomotives were still being built in Myrcia as late as 1985 when much of the rest of the world had moved on to diesel and electric trains.
Geoguðhád ó Brecþ
The discovery of offshore oil reserves at the tail-end of the 1980s and the prosperity characterised by the Geoguðhád ó Brecþ (Rebirth and Repair) economic plan of 1991 meant a new era for Railweg Myrcia began in the 1990s. The GoB plan included major investment for the railways such as the electrification of the Súdrimalijn (1993) and the Nórdrimalijn (1995) as well as the construction of a new spur to Dunwic Flyhthæfen International in 1994. Fares remained subsidised by the government and car-ownership in the country was (and still is) one of the lowest in the industrialised world. Both of these factors led to a sustained high level of usage and a prominent place for the railways in the national consciousness. Many works of Myrcian film and literature feature the railways and they have gained an international reputation for reliability and quality of service. Myrcian citizens can travel from Dunwic to St Grimbald on a modern electric train for just Ð2 (2.30 USD)
There are three primary inter-city routes centred on the capital city of Dunwic. The Súdrimalijn (South Coast Line) heads south from Dunwic to St Lór, Waldpul, St Grimbald and then on to Beremúth and Portskye where ferry connections are made to the Súdhilfad islands. The Nórdrimalijn (North Coast Line) heads north from Dunwic to Wálsham, St Alfæd, Haraþburh and Nórdport. The Midlædlijn (Cross-Country Line) heads west from Dunwic to Oltáfon, Yárbrig and Burhbrig.