Royal New Ingerland Navy
|Royal New Ingerland Navy|
Badge of the Royal New Ingerland Navy
|Founded||1 February 1915|
|March||Heart of Oak (Listen)|
|Chief of Staff||VADM Joshua Brown|
The Royal New Ingerland Navy is the chief naval force of New Ingerland, and is part of the New Ingerland Defence Force. By world standards, the Navy is is classified as a green-water navy, with a primary capability of operating within 500 nautical miles (930 km; 580 mi) of home port. The navy deliberately lacks the ability for sustained long-distance combat operations, concentrating instead on the home defence of New Ingerland.
Despite it's diminutive size and status, the Navy has a proud history and has participated in major past conflicts, including the Great War. The professional head of the Royal New Ingerland Navy is the Chief of the Naval Staff, currently Vice Admiral Joshua Brown. The Chief of the Naval Staff in turn reports to the Chief of the Defence Force Staff.
At foundation in 1915, the size of the Royal New Ingerland Navy was set at one light cruiser, four destroyers, four sloops, and a single submarine; allowing for a force that would be used for local defence but which would be capable of forming a fleet unit within the larger imperial navy if required.
The Royal New Ingerland Navy is composed of regular, reserve and national service personnel. The regular navy is a full professional outfit, whereas the naval reserve is a part time reserve outfit only called upon in emergencies. By law, conscripts can never be deployed onto active duty and act only in a support role after their initial training period.
There is a single command, known as the Home Fleet, which is divided into two squadrons. Each of the squadrons is commanded by a Rear Admiral and has maritime and shore components organised into flotillas. The Northern Squadron is responsible for the defence of the sea north of the 50th parallel, and is based out of HMND Goodwood. The Southern Squadron is charged with the defence of the sea south of the 50th parallel, and is based out of HMND Te Piha. Air support for the Navy is provided by 108 Wing, Royal New Ingerland Air Force, which is based out of AFS Codrington.
The Royal New Ingerland Navy operates from three principal establishments across New Ingerland, plus a handful of smaller facilities that support the operation of the fleet. The principal establishments are the two dockyards, located at Goodwood, and Te Piha. The dockyards carry the prefix HMND for His Majesty's Naval Dockyard. Support facilities can be found near the dockyards, and also at Jerseyhithe (Royal Naval College), Axport, Deauville, and Jennings. Shore establishments carry the prefix of HMNS for His Majesty's Naval Station.
|Te Piha, DEVX|
|Te Piha, DEVX|
|Te Piha, DEVX|
The current fleet involves eighteen ships and submarines plus supply and support vessels.
|HMS Invictus||Conqueror||1915-1950|| Flagship of the RNIN 1915-1940. Used as training ship after 1935.|
Preserved at the
|HMS Patroclus||Achaean||1940-1962||Flagship of the RNIN during the Great War. Scrapped 1963.|
Corvettes, minesweepers, sloops, etc.
Coastal forces, patrol ships, etc
|HMS Kingsbury (III)||Kingsbury||2006-Present|
|HMS E60||Echo||1915-1926||Launched by the Royal Navy 27 August 1912. Sold to New Ingerland in 1915. Scrapped 1926.|
New Ingerland's auxiliary ships take the form of supply ships, responsible for replenishment of the combat and patrol fleet; training ships, responsible for training cadets and sailors in the skills of a maritime career; and survey ships, which undertake research, mapping, and oceanography.