|13, -13.0704, 44.5276|
|• Region||Province Scippo|
|Latinians (88%), Natives (8%), Other (4%)|
|Nationalities||Latinans (96%), Other (4%)|
|• Mayor||Jerome Natal|
|• Vice Mayor||Eleanor Garibaldi|
|• Total||xyz km2|
|• Urban||xyz km2|
|• Rural||abc km2|
|Elevation||170 m (460 ft)|
|• Estimate (2016)||625 000|
|• Census (2011)||623 955|
|Postal Code||5101 - 5114|
Scippo is a city in the center of Latina. The town is the capital of the province Scippo of Latina. The city has 623 955 inhabitants (zensus 2011). The green in the flag shows the motto of the town: "Green is the hope".
1565 Girolamo Scippo selled shares for the foundation of a new and "free" town in the outpost of the colony of Latina. His opinion was after the struggles because the reformation to find a refugiun for a peaceful life for himself, his family and his friends. Truely said - Scippo has no opinion for any religion, but to say this was to that time dangerous. But in his planed town should be no monks and no monastery and free religion.
600 enthusiast give him money and with 800 men and 600 woman he goes on the treck in the wild north of the colony in land of indigen tribes. In a bow of a great river 1568 he founded "his" town and named it after himself "Scippo".
More as two centuries the town exist on a low level, many lots in the old town til 1780 are only grass or garden. Most important activity was the trade with the indigen tribes around. 1760 was build a small harbour south of the town at a cnal parallel to the Rio Scippo, to bring this goods with ships to other parts of Latina.
Not earlyer as around 1800 the whole area of the old town in her walls are builded with houses. That was a short pleasure, because in the war of independence 1809 the troops of the colony burnd down the town as apart of the forbidden republic of Gentofte.
1821, after the Battle of Topahappan, Scippo was a real part of Latina. Now many settlers seek place and therefore in the south of the old town was founded a suburb (now Barrio # 2). In the old town at this time a lot of shops are founded, situated in the "Calle Señor" and the "Calle Señora". This names in the first time are more a joke, because the shops are sorted after the interests of both genders.
1846 the railway from Latina (Cidudad) to Porto Colon reached Scippo. The station was build at the new suburb - now the "old station". Trains from Latina (Cidudad) to Porto Colon must change the direction. To avoid this 1889 was build the now existing station in the north of the town with trough going tracks.
1851 was founded the university of Scippo in the Barrio # 2. Since 1921 the new university is build in the western part of the town in Barrio # 12.
In the decades from 1860 to 1900 the town grow more and more. To have houses of higher level and modern design, the suburb "Moderna" (now Barrio # 3) 1855 was planed with the Avenida Reforma as main shopping-street. Many shops with well known name til today there make their buisiness. 1860 the first houses are ready and the first shops are opened. At the same time also starts the urbanisation of Barrio # 4 (Cortes) and Barrio # 5 (Norte) with great places at the northern shore of the river Scippo for representative public buildings. This 5 barrios today are the center of the city.
1874 was opened the first horsetram-line, now part of the streetcar-line # 7. 1897 to 1909 the horstram-lines become electric power with the system "Sprague" with 500 V DC as in most towns of Latina.
.... more text ....
Scippo is divided in 20 suburbs, named "barrios". Postal Code is always 510. or 511. and the number of the suburb ( always 4 numerals 5101 to 5120). Government and greater organisations have postalcodes from 5121 to maximal 5139.
Like in Latina (Cidudad) always for some barrios are local courts in service - so in Scippo there are local courts for always four suburbs in the center, north, east, south and west.
|1||Cidudad||town||center||1568||xyz||abc||def||Oldest part of city|
|2||Estacion Vejo||old station||center||1830|
|5||Norte||north||center||1860 starting||commercial center|
|9||Dos Rios||Two Rivers||east||1880|
|11||Campo Verde||green field||south||1900|
|13||Lado de Redondo||Redondo-side||south||1890|
|14||Campo Alondra||larks field||south||1900|
|17||Rio Belgrano||Belgrano river||north||1895|
|18||Monte San Jorge||St. Georges hill||north||1900|
|whole town||623 955|
... (more text) ...
Scippo has together with Redondo an national airport. Flights go to Belsante, Du Bois, Cordoba, Van Pelt and Porto Colon. To Latina (Cidudad) you can take the AVE hi-speed railway. From the town the airport can reached with the AVE-hi-speed--line # 12.
Motorway # 7 from Latina (Cidudad) to Porto Colon touches the town in the south. Scippo is served from the primary-routes ## 32, 33, 37, 79 and 80. Route # 30 touches the town in the southwest.
The Rapido-lines 350, 356, 820, 845 and 866 stops at Scippo. With this lines the town is an important knotpoint in the railway net of Latina.
The traffic in the town is mainly organisized with streetcars. There are 18 streetcar-lines, ## 1 to 13 and 15 to 19. Most tracks lay on own right of way, but in the inner town in the street - often there in oneway-streets.
There are new "short" cars of 48 m and "long" cars of 72 m for lines with denser traffic. Therefore most streetcar-depots now are 150 m long. Formerly in Scippo (as in other towns) are shorter cars in use.
Worth to see
- Avenida Reforma in the "new" modern town of 1860 (Barrio # 3) - see 16, -13.0929, 44.5303
- Center of old city with Plaza Major and the townhall of 1599, the cathedeale and the old theather from 1624 (Barrio # 1) - see 17, -13.08666, 44.50842
- Foro des Cortes (Barrio # 4) - see 17, -13.07654, 44.49772
- Jewish Quarter of the 1880ies (Barrio # 2) - see 16, -13.1172, 44.4945
- Plaza los Fuentes (Barrio # 4) with four great fountaines - see 17, -13.07190, 44.53848
- Plaza del Opera with Opera and Ayuntamento (Barrio # 4) - see 17, -13.07269, 44.52619
-- more will follow --
Citizens Service (What is where?)
|Cortes de Provincia||provincial parliament||Foro des Cortes||# 4|
|Cortes superiores Provincial||hight court of the province||Foro des Cortes||# 4|
|Cortes superiores Cidudad||high court of the town||Foro des Cortes||# 4|
|Cortes locales centro||local court center||4, Plaza del Opera||# 4|
|Cortes locales norte||local court north|
|Cortes locales este||local court east|
|Cortes locales sur||local court south||Plaza Universidad||# 12|
|Ayuntamento del Cidudad||Town Hall||2, Plaza del Opera||# 4|
|Commedia||Theater comedique||Plaza los Fuentes||# 4|
|Hogar por Animalos||Animal shelter|
|Jardin Botanico||Botanic Garden||2, Avenida Botanico||# 16|
|Objetos Perdidos||lost and found|
|Opera||3, Plaza del Opera||# 4|
|Philharmony||Concert hall||Plaza Moderna||# 3|
|Teatro del Cidudad||main theather||Plaza del Teatro||# 4|
|Universidad (Centro)||main buildung university||1, Plaza del Universidad||# 12|
Two football-clubs of Scippo play in the second national league, the "FC Scippo" and "Scippo 13". As other towns in Scippo is a horseracing club.
Famous is the long-distance rowing race on the Boulevard-canal about 7 km always in the second weekend in July. Often 25 or more teams are part of this challenge. Always 8 boats run in several races at saturday for the qualification for the sunday final race with the best 8 teams. In every boat sit 6 men and a boy at the helme. Since 2001 the next weekend the same race for women is established.
... more text ...