|15, 56.5588, 20.0626|
|City and Mynster ()|
"Herebeoi'g in dynge"
Safe harbour in a storm
|• Eard||St Alfæd|
|• Burgealdor||Ryne Lisedohtor|
|• Burhgeréfa||Symon Petersson|
|• Estimate (2017)||17,450|
St Alfæd is one of the oldest cities in Myrcia. Monastic foundations around the city date from the seventh century when Christic settlers from Ingerland moved south from their original foundations in Nórdport. The earliest remains within the city itself are from a Christic chapel in the crypt of St Yórric Kirk and these date from approximately 950. The first record of the city in the Cranic (991) records its name as Marscester. The name of the city was changed to Alfædsburh in 995 to celebrate the reign of Kynge Alfæd, the first king of Myrcia who was born in the city. It was changed again in 1550 when St Alfæd was canonised.
The city became a centre of Ingerish power on the island along with Nórdport whilst the southern half of the island became colonised by Scandic settlers of the Kingdom of Vestjord. The border between Ingerish Mercia and Scandic Vestjord was formalised in 1266 when Kynge Alban I built the Albanweall from St Alfæd, across the island to the west coast. The wall was up to seven feet high in places and made of stone, some of it still remains in place and the walk along it is a popular tourist attraction.
Unification and Growth
The two kingdoms of Vestjord and Mercia were unified in 1403 by the Súmburh Formæl. This marked the beginning of a period of stability and prosperity for St Alfæd. The cathedral of St Yórric was greatly expanded and the city's fortifications expanded by the mid 1400s. St Alfæd was a mercantile town with its river quays serving merchants from across north-west Uletha. Merchant's houses and warehouses filled the narrow Baltic Ísl and the north and south quays of the Áfon Asepn. The main exports through the city were beer, fish and wool for much of the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries.
The Ingerish trading company, the Great Mercian Corporation, was founded in St Grimbald in 1788 and had established offices in St Alfæd by 1805. Its arrival heralded a new industrial age in St Alfæd. Warehouses were expanded away from the river and new factories and mills were built in the city. It was a time of mixed fortunes, the new industry meant an increase in wealth in the already wealthy city but it also meant a huge increase in population as people moved from the countryside to the city to work in the new industries. The population of St Alfæd in 1800 was around 4,000 and by 1865 it had reached 29,000. The city's quays were re-piled by GMC in the 1870s, the new docks at Súdport were built in the 1880s and the railways arrived in the city in 1901 with the opening of the St Alfæd - St Grimbald railway.
The Rihtwísness was a popular nationalist uprising against foreign corporations like the GMC which began in the 1910s. St Alfæd was never considered a centre for Rihtwísness protests but in 1909 a number of GMC managers were killed when GMC offices were looted and burned down. Following the success of the movement in 1913 the GMC was nationalised by Mar Lewisson's government and St Alfæd was able to continue to operate as a maritime city with links to northern Uletha.
Herewæhús Explosion, 1929
On the night of 1st August 1929 a fire started in the stables outside the city's Herewæhús (armoury). It quickly spread from the stables to the main storehouse and when it reached the stores of weapons it created an enormous explosion which destroyed not only the Herewæhús but houses, warehouses, shops and offices across the centre of the city. The exact number of deaths is uncertain but it is thought to be around 750. Following the explosion the centre of the city was cleared and in 1932 the city's government decided to create a park in honour of those killed rather than rebuild the streets lost. The Kirk Parc was built and opened in 1935 by Kynge Bede IV. The event is memorialised in a window in the east end of St Yórric Kirk which had to be reconstructed after the explosion.
The city's name was officially changed from the Ingericised St Alfred to St Alfæd in 1950. After the explosion and rebuilding of the 1930s the city came to concentrate less on industrial labour and more on trade and shipping from the city's eastern docks. In the 1960s the warehouses along Óst Key had become abandoned and in 1965 the Óstcomon housing development was built replacing them. The town of Súdport, just outside St Alfæd, was the location for the Resoboil ferry until 1975 when the new northern docks were completed and the old passenger liners were replaced by modern car ferries. This also saw the end of the St Alfæd - Súdport railway line which had served the ferries. A major development of the city centre took place in the 1990s with the pedestrianisation of A Bów and Mid Stræt, the renovation of merchant's houses on Baltic Ísl and the construction of the Midcentre shopping mall.
The mynster of St Alfæd contains the city centre and the residential neighbourhoods of Trude Parc and Nórdcomon. It does not include much of the residential areas which are parts of Súdport or Strand Port mynsters. The eard of St Alfæd (eard) covers a much larger area and is the primary form of urban government in the region.
The centre of St Alfæd is located around one and a half miles inland from the eastern coast of Myrcia and the mouth of the Áfon Áspen. It lies to the east of the Nórdlædlæws (Northern Downs) upland area. The countryside around St Alfæd is mostly agricultural or wild land preserved as part of the Mid Myrcia Cwiðenlicparc national park. The city is popular with tourists as a base for exploring the Myrcian downland which exists in the centre of the country and the dunes, cliffs and beaches of the central Myrcian coast.
St Alfæd is located on Steorweg 3 & 4. Steorweg 4 runs north-south from Nórdport to St Grimbald and bypasses the city to the west. Steorweg 3 runs east-west from St Alfæd to Súmburh and then south to Dunwic, it terminates at the junction with route 4 outside St Alfæd. The other major road is route 46 which runs north-west from St Alfæd to the west coast of Nórdhumber.
St Alfæd is served by two railway stations. Railweg Myrcia operates services to Nórdport and Dunwic from St Alfæd Áfon station which is located north of the river. Connectis Rail operates services to Renburh from St Alfæd Súd station to the south of the river. Bus services in the city and surrounding area are operated by Connectis and centre on the Súd Terminalen which is connected to the Súd station and Midcentre mall. Bus Myrcia coaches N2 and R1 operate from the Súd Busterminalen.
Ferry services to Resoboil traditionally departed from Súdport until the new car ferry terminal was constructed on the north bank of the river in the St Alfæd Port, they are operated by Fær Myrcia. St Alfæd Port is an active centre for import and export logistics in Myrcia. Philipsson use the port to import steel they used to construct shipping containers at their factory nearby.
|Mynsters of St Alfæd|
|Edburwóld ·St Alfæd · Strand Port · Súdport|