|11, 35.9121, 120.6731|
|• Total||69.5 km2|
|• Census (2019)||194,300|
Tinglyū ('tiŋljy:, old script: xxx) is a city classified as a higher center (Hangshin) in eastern Kojo. It is the historic seat of power of the region with a long cleric and mercantile history.
It is unclear when the first permanent settlement at the confluence of the Yuwan with its side-streams Āgen and Oekkal was founded, but due to the area's high fertility and strategic importance it is thought that there has been a continuous presence of sedentary settlers since the bronce age. The oldest archaeological remains are wooden poles that date back to the around 1000 BC.
The nucleus of urban development was situated midway between the modern main temple and the south-western tip of the island. This area was safe from the regular floods of the Yuwan and Āgen, which already met where they do today. For the first millennium the city grew and shrank periodically while being seat of various tribes and kings who would rule the surrounding area from here. The city centre shifted to the tip of the confluence where most of the harbour activity took place, despite being flood-prone. The street layout of that area is the oldest remaining urban form of the city today. In the 11th century the area ruled from inside the city's boundaries reached its historic peak, with territories from modern Īme and Formajiá to Línai and the source of the Āgen being controlled from the city. The city walls of that time are traced by the modern Kolzo and Nóiyang streets.
The city outgrew these boundaries rapidly, and by the 1500's the lower two thirds of the island and some parts of the opposite shores where built up. Meanwhile the hereditary monarchy had been ousted by the city's growing mercantile class, which used their ever-growing financial power and influence to force the ruling family to delegate most of the power to a city council in 1410. All merchants based in the city where represented on that council with their property tax determining their share of votes. However the monarchy still directly reigned over the "unfree" lands surrounding the city. During the thousand kingdoms' war in the 1620's there was a deep divide between the city's mercantile class and the aristocrats about whether to support or fight against King Surb Rēkku. The monarchy wanted to submit to Surb Rēkku's demands and become part of his unified kingdom, with the prospect of being left in charge of the area. The merchants however favoured a fight for (continuing) independence. While the ruling family pooled the rural troops, the city blocked their access to the heavy weaponry stationed in the city. It is assumed that this divide is why first the surrounding lands and eventually the city were quickly overran by the army of Surb Rēkku and his allies. Due to the swift shift of control the city only suffered few damages from the war itself, and recovered relatively quickly during the following years of Kojolese unification. It was however ruled by emissaries from the Kojolese capital, with close to none self governance.
During the early 19th century the city experienced a growing population and increasingly bad pollution and hygiene standards due to masses of people moving in from the countryside to grow in the emerging industries. The northern part of the island was built up with two representative squares and army facilities, but the expansion did not meet the high demand for new and affordable living space. The unbearable situation for the city's workers and its historic self-image as a free city made it one of the hotspots of the anti-monarchistic movement outside of Pyingshum. When the monarchy was overthrown in Pyingshum in 1828, fighters from Tinglyū where at the forefront. During the strugglesome years thereafter, the mercantile class from the city played an important role in shaping the constitution and the dissolution of military rule.
Unleashed from the planning restraints, the city laid out large expansion neighbourhoods to all sides of the island. The already existing railways were realigned and met in the new central railway station, with the new railway neighbourhood (Chezi-Pang) being located between the station and the island. At the same time, plans were drafted and swiftly implemented for expansion to the north, where a new representative square for the national and regional administration was built, the east where the university moved to, and the south, where a new residential and industrial quarter close to the harbour facilities was established. By the late 19th century the land inside the ring road was developed and the city's built-up area had nearly quadrupled.
Growth during the first half of the 20th century was steady but much slower, since growth of heavy industry was mostly concentrated on other areas in Kojo. As a regional and administrative center with many amenities, a high quality of living and a large university, the city was well prepared for the increasing importance of the knowledge-based economy in the second half of the century, and has managed to position itself as a good and stable second-tier location for education and research, administration, niche-technologies and tourism.
Administration and Demographics
List of Pangs in Tinglyū
The city consists of 19 Pangs, with no intermediate level of administration. The Pangs themselves don't have any formal competences, but there are elected citizen-councils for every Pang which advise the city council on matters of local relevance. The city council usually follows these recommendations.
|Name of Pang||English translation||area km²||population||pop. density inh./km²||Notes|
|Ōzi||Big Island||1.4||10,200||7,300||Old town|
|Kákwūo||4.1||22,400||5,500||Contains many regional administrative buildings|
|Palkyoelnda||brown rock field||5.5||31,900||5,800||poorest neighbourhood|
The city is served by one CC line.
|CC 51||Unzai, Línai, Tinglyū, Īme Takyoechezi, Púlmaerong ZC (Kippa), Kippa ZC, Kippa Akuchezi||1 h||1N||-/-|
Additionally, one special KCP service connects the city bi-hourly to Pyingshum (Aku-Dyanchezi) via PH and Formajiá as well as Yoyomi via PH in the other direction. Although refurbished THC1 rolling stock is used on that line it is not classified as a CC service, and normal regional train fares apply.