Together with the towns of Lincolnside and Prangleside the city of Waltmore build one urban agglomeration of 1 250 000 inhabitants
- Waltmore (in Capital county): 600 000 inhabitants / 39.56 km² or 15.27 sq mi; 15 167 inhabitants each km²
- Lincolnside (in Lincoln County): 350 000 inhabitants / 36.61 km² or 14.13 sq mi; 9 560 inhabitants each km²
- Prangleside (in Prangle County): 300 000 inhabitants / 40.17 km² or 15.51 sq mi; 7 468 inhabitants each km²
At the trinangel between the Carnaby River and the Pike River 1615 - five years later as the founding of Stanton - was build a fort to shelter the ways in the hinterland of the New Carnaby colony. First name of the city was "Fork Town" because the fork of the both rivers. As 1701 Waltmore become the capital of New Carnaby, the name was changed to Waltmore. Til today this quarter inside the Palisade Street has its character of the centuries before, so Waltmore attracs many tourists most from the Stanton area.
1751 the first extension of the town was planed with most rectangled blocks between the Palisade Street and the new "Boulevard". The Palisade Street 1761 was connected at both sides with bridges to Lincoln County and Prattle County. Later (1779 and 1784) more bridges are build north and south in prolongation of the "Boulevard".
The first railway station was build near the St. Georges Church and both lines to Stanton and to Creedle started here. But to have a direct way Stanton - Creedle and further to the southwest and west without changing the direction, 1865 the new station was build at the present place on the ground of Prattleside, not Waltmore itself. The old station so become the first luxorious shopping mall in Waltmore.
After the railway reaches Waltmore 1840 the population grow. 1864 a new plan was made for a long avenue to the west - now the New Carnaby Boulevard and to the north and south regulair blocks of houses with some green squares here and there. 1879 the Opera House was opened.
The first horsetram lines come in use in the 1880ies, going to electrical power in the 1890ies as usual in towns of the importance like Waltmore. 1922 a first subway section was opened and so, as the subway grow, the streetcar was abadonned; the latest line 1978. Where no subway offers its service, there now are buslines in operation in the three towns.
Town of Lincolnside
Situated at the northern side of the Pike River the town of Lincolnside is the home of the famous Brinkell University, the Vandishcombe horse racing course, the Botanic Garden and the Lincoln forest. This forest is a main leisure place for the inhabitants of the three towns. The old center of Eppingthorpe with its church of 1535 is a magnet for tourists.
Oldest place is Eppingthorpe, founded 1526 in the shelter of the fort of Waltmore. 1802 was opened a footway-bridge to the village; for the use was to pay a penny til 1892. First bridge for cars about the Pike River was the bridge between the Boulevard and Wolping Avenue, opened 1769. A second bridge at Palisade Street come in use 1834.
The formerly villages of Eppingthorpe, Tarp, Delmerton, Vandishcombe and Grenadelly 1875 was united to the town of "Lincolnside", because this villages lay in the county of Lincoln. This name was choosen - so as Prangleside - to give no one of the old villages the majority by the name.
Town of Prangleside
The small village of Ashhill in former centuries was only the eastern ferry-point on the other side of the Carnaby River for Waltmore. With the railway the place get importance - and the railway til today is the backbone of the street grid. Therefore the town stretches along the Carnaby River and the railway as a small strip from north to south and along the Freya River to the east - so its urban structure is like the letter "T". Til today Ashhill is the center of the town of Prangleside.
With this railway the common section of all four commuter-lines of the CCC (Capital Commuter Company) between Sparrow Junction and Ticlamaweeni give Prangleside a fast transportation way like a subway line. With the city of Waltmore Prangleside is connected with the blue and red subway line. The red subway line is the connection also from Waltmore to the airport.
In Prangleside is situated the Central Staton of the railway, the airport of the three towns and the central food wholesale market for all three towns. Near Dyke Street subway station at the red line the night-quarter also is a magnet for the people in Waltmore. Most of the industry in all three towns is condentrated in Prangleside. But the old village of Ashhill has its romantic side, indeed. So North One, North Two, Southside and Sparrowfield are characteristic for the working people living there on the other hand parts of Hermellyn, Larkhill and Verneuil have significant higher standard.
City of Waltmore
The city of Waltmore is the hearth of the urban agglomeration of the three towns. In Waltmore is situated the State Capitol of New Carnaby and the high courts of New Carnaby and of Capital County. In Waltmore also is the Opera, the Great Theatre, the Municipal Stadium and the Zoologic Garden. The commercial center is concentrated at the "Boulevard" and the eastern end of the "New Carnaby Boulevard". Here all three subway lines come together.
The town of 1615 behind the Palisade Street now is represented in ward 1, the town of 1751 east of the boulevard now are the wards 2 to 4 and the new town of the 1840ies and following decades are the today busy wards 5 to 9. Ward 10 and following are urbanisized since the 1870ies. Always the government of Waltmore published a new plan of streets at the start of a new urbanisizing phase.
The city of Waltmore is relative dense urbanisized. Only in the suburbs of Vargass Village and Mintcamp we find an area of more light housing. This dense urbanisation was one of the reasons to build a subway system, beginning in the 1920-ies to end the problems with overcrowded streetcars.
Motorways and State Streets
The new Motorway FS-16 (partly in construction) connected Waltmore with the net of FSA-motorways. Roundabout 30 km away the motorways FS-20 and FS-21 easy are reachable from Waltmore. The State-streets 1, 2 and 3 of New Carnaby - build as trunk road nearly of motorway-standard - give Waltmore a good connection in most directions. Street 1 leads to Stanton and the western states of the FSA, route 2 goes in north-southern direction and route 3 connected to the southwest. State streets 47, 50 and 90 touches Waltmore.
Waltmore is a main railway hub on the route Stanton - Western States. With Huntington the city is connected with trains running via the state of Giliad. First line opened 1840 was the Line Stanton Manheart - Bourdon - Waltmore - Creedle. Now the main line from the western states via Waltmore to Stanton has its end at Stanton Southern Station.
Waltmore also is the knotpoint of a net of commuter-lines, operated by the CCC (Capital Commuter Company). Between Creedle and Waltmore, Laguarde and Waltmore and Meddleby Junction and Waltmore this trains run on own tracks. In use are four lines
- Prattle - Paqualaco - De Lorenc - Waltmore - Zephyr - Two Lakes
- Creedle - DeLorenc - Waltmore - Menehoquee - Hawk - Beaver Rapid
- Geoffreysons Knee - Meddleby Junction - Waltmore - (Menehoquee - Hawk - Sequintosh)
- Ginnymarsh - Meddleby Junction - Waltmore - Consingbroke - Laguarde
In Sequintosh, Beaver Rapids and Laguarde are connections to the commuter lines of the Stanton Southern Link, leding to Stanton Southern Station. But to get in short time to Stanton (away 150 km), it is better to take the thrugoing main-line trains.
Waltmore, Lincolnside and Prattleside are connected with three subway lines, named as usual in the Federal States as "red", "blue" and "green". First line opened 1922 was the part of the red line along the New Carnaby Boulevard between Zoo and New Place. 1927 this line reaches Hovelly Circle and 1929 Phoenix-West. The blue line connected the railway-station with the city. First part of the blue line was opened 1936 between the railway-station and Vandishcombe and first part of the green line 1974 between St. Georges and Malone Hill. Last opened line-section is the eastern part of the red line from St. Paul to the airport, opened 2009. Today all three lines are long 81 km.
First the red line takes the way from New Place to Hovelly Circle via Pearl Street and Arghenna Place, build 1923 to 1927. As the green line should be prolongated, the green line from St. Georges via New Place 1982 take over this northeastern part of the red line to Hovelly Circle. The red line 1985 get a new way into the old city to St. Paul and in 2009 prolongated to the airport. Therefore between Cornett Street and New Place the red line change from level 1 to level 2 under ground - in level 1 then run the green line.
The old curve of the red line at New Place now is used as a service connection between the red and the green line. An other service connection between the blue and red lines is situated at Opera. Via both service-tracks trains of the green line also easy can reach the main-yard "B" at the blue line. Also at Diagonale-station is a connection between the red and green line, regulary used in the time as the green line finished at St. Georges (but still in use now at occassion).
Often at the terminals of a line are some service tracks to allow to start trains, before the station can be reached from one of the yards. There are five subway yards for 120 trains and somre additional maintenance tracks, named A, B, C, D and E. Oldest yard is "A", opened 1922 with the first part of the red line. Main yard now is yard "B" in Vandishcombe. Yards "A" and "E" mainly served the red line, yard "B" the blue line and yards "C" and "D" the green line - but there are some exeptions of this rules.
Trains have up to 7 cars with total lenght of 112 m. The platform lenght is 120 m or some meters more. Trains are the same as in Stanton, but instead of units of 3 cars always one with three and one with four cars. In Waltmore in service are 68 trains of type T96 and 55 trains of the newer type T13 from 2013 - in total 123 trains.
Trains in Waltmore will operate from 4:30 a.m. to 1:00 a.m at the next day. Only in the nights from Friday to Saturday and Saturday to Sunday trains will run whole the night.
Most of the subway-lines are build under the great avenues in the new part of the town of Waltmore, but some parts with tunnel-boring machines. Some parts of the subway run not in a tunnel, but in a cutted right of way or - as parts of the line to the airport - on a viaduct. The green line 1992 give new life to a part of a disused railway from Parsons Hill to Hazelwood.
The formerly streetcar-net in the three cities since decades is abadonned. The transportation now is organisized by bus. Plans are made in Lincolnside, to let run a new modern streetcar between Westend and Ebbingthorpe via the Avenues along the Peak River instead of a formerly planed fourth subway-line to substitute the overcrowdes busses in this relation.
Culture, Education and Tourism
Beneath the famous university of Creedle the Waltmore Brinkell University - situated north of the Pike river in Lincolnside - is one of the most remarkable institutes of New Carnaby. As usual for a city-agglomeration of more as 1 000 000 inhabitants, Waltmore offers an Opera House and several theaters.