| English (authoritative version) • čeština • dansk • Deutsch • español • Français • italiano* • Nederlands • Polski • 简体中文* • Română • Русский • Српски|
* - translation needs update
OpenGeofiction: a collaborative platform for creating fictional maps
OpenGeofiction (OGF) is based on the OpenStreetMap software platform, which means that all map editors and other tools suitable for OpenStreetMap can be used to build OGF's fictional world. This world is set in modern times, so it doesn't have orcs or elves, but rather power plants, motorways and housing projects. But also picturesque old towns, beautiful national parks and lonely beaches.
- Create an account at opengeofiction.net/user/new. After verifying your email, you can start mapping right away.
- Start mapping in one of the blue countries on our overview map (thumbnail at right). These countries are free for all users to edit. Look at various towns and cities and try building one yourself.
- Stick to the rules! They are listed below.
Moving on from "Blue" territories:
- You may request to own an available country (shown in light green on the overview map) by following the territory assignment procedure.
- You may request to participate in a collaborative country (shown in purple on the overview map) by contacting its coordinator.
- You are also free to choose both of these options, and of course you may continue editing in blue countries as well. When requesting a territory of your own, please remember that such requests are always subject to admin approval, so please wait for confirmation before making any edits in the territory.
|Please be aware that violating the rules may result in suspension or termination of your account.|
Other terms and conditions
- By participating in OGF you agree to release your contributions under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License (CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0). Of course you are free to choose a more permissive CC license as well.
- We can't take any responsibility for data backup. Snapshots of the data set are created at regular intervals and can be downloaded from http://opengeofiction.net/backup. Please do this frequently!
- OGF is an experiment, and we don't know if it will work in the long run. We believe that the most important factor for success of this project will be the readiness of all participants for cooperation wherever that's necessary. Also, keep in mind that we still regard this site as a private homepage rather than a public service. Which means that ultimately we (the admin team) will have the final say about everything. But we really hope to never have to use that power.
How to sign up
If you encounter any problems or have further questions, don't hesitate to contact us by sending a message to the admin team or by email to email@example.com — see also our FAQ page for a list of (hopefully) useful hints to get you started.