Saviso Adelaide station

From OpenGeofiction Encyclopedia
Revision as of 09:45, 15 October 2017 by ParAvion (talk | contribs) (Created page with "{{Infobox station | boxwidth = <!--width of the infobox--> | titlestyle = #0054A6 | title_color = #FFFFFF | title_size =...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Saviso Adelaide
Commuter, regional, and inter-city station
LocationSt Austell Avenue,
Saviso, SA 5000
Coordinates1.911°S, 32.217°E
Owned bySt Austelline
Line(s)Airport
Asquith
Baltic Hills
Cape
Cobalt Island
Eastern
Navy
North Harbour
Port Saviso
Queensgate
Silverwater
Weymouth
Platforms11
Tracks11
Train operatorsSt Austelline, VN
Bus stands4
Bus operatorsCapitaline
Tram routes2, 3, 7, 20, 21, 25, 35, 55
Tram stands2
Tram operatorsSavisan Tramways
Construction
Platform levels1
ParkingYes
Bicycle facilitiesYes
Disabled accessYes
ArchitectWalter LaCroix and Edmund Harrison
Other information
Station codeSAV
Fare zoneCentral
History
Opened28 February 1848
Rebuilt1856-59, 1898-1905
ElectrifiedYes
Previous namesSaviso Terminus (1848-51)
Wellesley Street (1851-61)
Saviso (1861-1960)
Services

Saviso Adelaide station is a railway station and transport hub on the corner of Wellesley Street and St Austell Avenue in Saviso, Vodeo. The station is served by St Austelline, Capitaline, and Savisan Tramways, and is the main railway hub for Saviso and St Austell, with all services beginning or terminating at the station.

Saviso Adelaide is served by St Austelline's suburban and regional services, and VN's inter-city services. It is the busiest station on the Savisan network, the busiest railway station in Vodeo, and one of the busiest in Tarephia. It was the first railway station to be built in Vodeo outside of Holme. The station is named for Adelaide I, the first queen of Vodeo.

History

Saviso railway station in 1895.

Saviso's first railway station opened on 28 February 1848 as the eastern terminus of the Port Saviso line. The original station consisted of one platform and a simple weatherboard shed built between the railway line and St Austell Avenue. The success of the line, coupled with the growth of Saviso's then-outer suburbs, saw the network expanded in the mid- to late 1850s and 1860s. Such was the popularity of the railway services that the station was soon struggling to cope, and between 1856 and 1859 the station was expanded to four tracks and two platforms. The new station building contained two waiting areas, a tearoom, stationmaster's accommodation, and a telegraph office. The station's expansion allowed it to become the northern terminus for the Silverwater line, which until then had terminated at Alexandra Terrace.

The completion of the Saviso-Holme railway line in 1859, as well as the completion of lines to Silverton and Gerrise in 1862 and 1866, respectively, saw business increase further, and by the 1890s the station was again unable to keep up with demand. Plans were drawn up in 1896 to build a moderate expansion, however after a fire destroyed the station in 1897, the St Austellian government decided to build a much larger station on the site. Late that year a design competition was held, with Avington architects Walter LaCroix and Edmund Harrison winning a £500 prize for their design. Construction on the new station building began in 1898 and was scheduled to be completed by early 1904, however construction issues and financial troubles saw the completion and opening delayed until December 1905.

The station has undergone occasional upgrades, either to adopt new technologies or update its look. A carpark building was erected in 1955 (later rebuilt in 1991), and electrification of the station was carried out in 1957 as the metropolitan steam services were gradually withdrawn. The station concourse has also been refurbished three times: in 1935-37, 1981, and 2013-14.

Transport links

The following tram services serve Saviso Adelaide station: