Since it’s coming back up and now that the FSA capital area has a project manager, I think we should have a discussion on some preliminary plans for our capital area. While there are some basic sketches located here and Zytik has been discussing his proposal here, I think we need to discuss some larger concepts first:
- Was Huntington planned and built earlier in the FSA’s history (e.g., Washington DC), a more modern master-planned city (e.g. Brasilia) or somewhere in between (e.g., Canberra)?
- Should the entire district be master-planned, or should a smaller urban area around the primary government buildings be planned first with more “organic” growth throughout the district?
- Is the topography flat, hilly, or somewhere in between?
- Any preliminary plans for the suburban areas in the three neighboring states?
- Any other topics that need to be discussed before we decide on a city plan.
This thread is not to determine or vote on a plan for Huntington. We have plenty of time to figure out a full plan for the capital (all the time in the world, actually) so there’s no reason to rush any decisions, but figuring out some of these “base line” ideas now will help us come up with a better, more realistic capital in the future.
|Posted by TheMayor on 7 March 2019 at 19:25.|