Forum:Global and regional issues/The Tropics
Jump to navigation Jump to search
On Earth, we have the the Tropic of Capricorn and the Tropic of Cancer. On the OGF territory map, all I see is the Northern Tropic and Southern Tropic. What are we going to call the tropics?
- Well... we can keep it "Northern" and "Southern" Tropic, why not? hehehe -- BMSOUZA (talk) 00:34, 25 November 2022 (UTC)
- We could also imagine that the ancestors may have used different names to call the stars and the constellations. For example, The Tropic of Cancer owes its name to the fact that in the past (2000 years ago) the Sun used to rise in correspondence of the constellation of Cancer (with the axial procession now this fact is not true any more, but the name remained). The constellation name comes from the name of the brightest star in is, Cancer, but for example we could use the alternative name of Praesepe (see here).
- Same thing applies with the Capricorn, as nowadays the Sun enters the Constellation of Sagittarius on the day of Winter Solstice.
- Capricorni is the brightest star in it, so we can keep that name, or also assume that the discovery came later, when the Sun was already entering into the Sagittarius (hence we could use also Tropic of Sagittarius).
- Just ideas, but we should also think how to call all those natural phenomena which were given a name after the one of a discoverer, a scientist etc...