For territory owners here, declaring "independence" isn't an option, so before requesting a state, please be sure you understand the following points:
- Ardencia is not mimicking any country from the real world, therefore it is important to read this article before taking decision on starting mapping here. This is a highly developed country with a strong economy and a diverse culture formed by immigrants from around the globe, as well as the indigenous peoples of the continent.
- Teamwork is important. Any decisions about shared questions of economy, history, culture, etc, should be discussed as a team. Geographic coordination is also necessary — for example, every territory owner should be familiar with the sketch map below to help coordinate issues of climate, topography, etc. Before taking any action that affects your neighbor states, you should talk about it with them first.
- Have fun! This is the second real "superpower" of the OGF world and we expect it to be a dynamic new place with lots of mappers working together to build something really amazing. We urge everyone involved to have fun and help make it the best country anywhere.
In order to guide members who whould like to be part of this project, some informations and proposals have been added to this page (the maps on that page are just there to show the main ideas) :
- Geography of the country should resamble Northern France or Poland in the North and Canada or Finland in the South.
- The coastal zone is the most important and attractive part of Ardencia where most of the activities are gathered.
Five groups of islands belong to Ardencia, some of them are already named.
- Efée River - 765km
- Manitomag River - 432km
- Missinabi River 02 400km
- Veranne River - (630km country longest inner river)
In Province 7
- Ewa River - around 600km (spring to be determined)
- Arièze/Arieza - 441km
In Wiercie & Province 10
- Unnamed river 05 - 300km
In Sainte Agnès
In Province 04
- River Sainte Rose - 279km
Between Provinces 4 & 3
- Unnamed river 03 - 345km
The name of the different mountains has to be determined
The name of the different bays has to be determined
Provinces and languages
Ardencia (AR045) is meant to be colonised by French (Franquese) in the North and Poles (Lechians) in the South and their languages should be used on the map in respective territories. In the very North also English may be present but this should be reasonably limited when it is possible.
Before colonization the country was inhabited by indigenous peoples - mostly similar to North American Indians but also Aleuts, Inuits or Ainu. Words from these languages can be used as derivatives of place names. There can be present some reservations for them. Indigenous cultures may also use language created by user - a conlang - but the creation should be associated with languages mentioned before or not associated with real world languages at all.
For more detailed information about language placement and general informaion about see the table below:
|Territory||Type||Mapping Languages||Historical indigenous people||Capital||Largest city|
|(AR045-01)||Collaborative||French, English||"North American Indian"||TBD||TBD|
|Sainte Agnès (AR045-02)||Free-to-edit||French, limited English||"North American Indian"||TBD||Sainte Inès|
|(AR045-03)||Province assigned to a single user||French, English||"North American Indian"||TBD||TBD|
|Ooayatais (AR045-04)||Province assigned to a single user||French, English||"North American Indian"||TBD||TBD|
|(AR045-05)||Province assigned to a single user||French, English||"North American Indian"||TBD||TBD|
|Saint Armand (AR045-06)||Collaborative||French, Polish, limited English||"North American Indian"||Saint Armand||Saint Armand|
|(AR045-07)||Province assigned to a single user||French||"North American Indian"||TBD||TBD|
|Triaquia (AR045-08)||Collaborative||French, Polish||"North American Indian"||Belmont||Belmont|
|Wiercie (AR045-09)||Free-to-edit||Polish||"North American Indian"||Andrzejowo||Andrzejowo|
|Pomorze Liwańskie (AR045-10)||Province assigned to a single user||Polish||"North American Indian"||TBD||TBD|
|Honneska (AR045-11)||Province assigned to a single user||Polish||"North American Indian"||TBD||TBD|
|Katinngajut-Qikiqtaq (AR045-12)||Collaborative||Polish||"Inuit", "Aleut"||TBD||TBD|
|Souskoutie (AR045-13)||Collaborative||French||"North American Indian"||TBD||TBD|
|(AR045-14)||Province assigned to a single user||French||"North American Indian"||TBD||TBD|
|Lilian Islands (AR045-15)||Province assigned to a single user||Polish||"Ainu"||TBD||TBD|
This map is a proposal. It shows the different type of climates of Ardencia according the terrain and the main winds. Ardencia has a temperate climate along the coast and continental climate in the North and in the West (inland). It's getting colder in the South above all in the highlands of the mountains range.
- Most Ardencians live along the coast.
- The largest city has to be determined.
- The Province of Saint Armand has high population density.
- Another big part live in the North along the FSA border.
- The southern part is less populated.
- Mainly covered with forest, the main cultures can be found in the plains and along the main river valleys.
- Agriculture is an important activity of the country
- Mines and quarries are mainly located close to the mountains and hills.
A main line crossing the country from East to West along the coast and other lines connecting Ardencia to the FSA. The trains might be one of the most used means of transport.
List of railway companies
|LTRA||TRANSARDENCIAN LINE||Saint Armand||From ... to ...|
|LTRN||NORTHERN TRANSARDENCIAN LINE||From ... to Ramani|
|WESTERN LINES (cold colours)|
|LSAO||WEST SAINT-ARMAND LINE||Saint Armand||Common tracks from Gare de Belmont|
|LCOC||WESTERN COASTAL LINE||Saint Armand||From Saint Armand to ...|
|LBEL||BELMONT LINE||Saint Armand||From Saint Armand to Belmont|
|LORK||ORKARAVI LINE||Saint Armand||From Saint Armand to Orkaravi|
|QROL||QUATRE-RIVIERES - OKERAVI LINE||Quatre-Rivière||From Quatre-Rivières to Okeravi|
|LSTM||SAINTE MADELEINE LINE||Saint Armand||From Saint Armand to Sainte Madeleine|
|LEWA||EWA LINE||Larignon||From Larignon to ...|
|LEFE||EFEE LINE||Belmont||From Belmont to Villereine|
|LMAN||MANITOMAG LINE||Flavigny||From Flavigny to ...|
|LVER||VERANNE LINE||Belmont||From Belmont to Villefévrier|
|LSTH||SOUTHERN LINE||Jasnagrań||From Jasnagrań to ...|
|LAND||ANDRZEJEWO LINE||Andrzejewo||From Andrzejewo to Dobrzanka|
|EASTERN LINES (warm colours)|
|LCOR||EASTERN COASTAL LINE||Saint Armand||From Saint Armand to ...|
|LSTA||SAINTE AGNES LINE||From Estuaire to Spero|
|LRAM||RAMANI LINE||Saint Armand||From Saint Armand to Ramani|
|LSTR||SAINT RIGEAUD LINE||Saint Rigeau||From Saint Rigeau to Spero|
The roads follow more or less the same direction as the railway along a big corridor crossing the territory from East to West. They are not necessarily "motorways" but can be only big roads to make the difference with the FSA. Ferry lines could connect the different archipelagos to the mainland.
Some main airports can be added to the big cities.
Subways & Tramways
Maybe we could imagine that Ardencia kept numerous tramway lines in its towns a bit like in Toronto.
The main harbours of importance in Ardencia have to be determined to draw the international shipping lines.
Real world similarities
Despite Ardencia is not directly parallel with any country from the real world, there can be found countries which in some aspects are similar.
Urban development should be based on that which can be find in South American countries but also Polish and French influences are welcome. Grid and master-planned cities should rather not appear but some neighbourhoods may be master-planned.
Why should I join?
- Because you can have more fun working with neighbors who share the same goal as you;
- Because you can experience greater satisfaction seeing your mapping develop as part of this huge megaproject;
- Because if you claim a state at the beginning, you can be one of the Founders of AR045, which means you get to discuss and vote on interesting stuff, like:
- Country name
- National flag
- Names of major rivers
- Names of major lakes
- Names of major mountain ranges
- Name of the national capital
(a collaborative project open to all state owners)
- Sketch for the layout of the national capital
- Numbering plan for national freeway system
- Numbering plan for other national highways
- Designs for national route shields and signage
- List of famous national historical figures
(as a resource for naming things)
How can I claim a territory?
Territories may be obtained in several ways:
- a.) Mappers who do not own a territory may request a state as their first territory; see: OGF:Territory assignment#North and South Archanta
- b.) Mappers who own a well-developed territory may request a state as their second territory, following the guidelines at OpenGeofiction:Territory assignment.
- c.) Mappers who wish to move their mapping to AR045 are highly encouraged to do so, by trading in their current territory for a place in AR045. Technical assistance with the moving process is available.
- d.) Mappers who wish to start over are also welcome, as they are free to relinquish their current territory and request a place in AR045 instead.
In addition, at least three collaborative states will be established, for mappers who want to build in the country without owning a territory themselves: free-to-edit AR045-02 and AR045-09 and collaborative territories AR045-01, AR045-06, AR045-08, AR045-12, AR045-13.
Currently the AR045 project is managed by Newflanders.
- Watch the language development of the provinces and highlight improper use of them.
- Coordinate regional and national questions among active users - geology, hydrology, infrastructure, cultural institutions, economy, etc.
- Make sure that the collaborative ("purple") states are on track under their respective management teams.
- Keep this and other Ardencia wiki discussion pages up-to-date.
- Keep Ardencia visible to the community through periodic updates and discussions on the wiki forums and the User Diaries.
- Develop a country category on the wiki.
- The Ardencia Project Managers are not responsible for assigning territories - that remains under OGF:Territory assignment.
Users may ask questions in the forum.