Forum:Request help/Perfect place for a Filipino-themed territory
Yes, I know I still don't meet the 14-day threshold to request a green territory; but I just want to ask - what would be a recommended territory for a country with a general Filipino?
As for my style of mapping, you may want to view . Focus on the area south of Marsenac (ignore Marsenac itself, it looks too European for my tastes) as that is where I'm demonstrating my style of suburban "Imus-style" mapping. For urban areas I'll take inspiration primarily from Manila. This will probably be my first option.
I am aware of the blue territory of AR902 with a Filipino style for the southwest, but I don't feel like the current state of the mapping in that area matches my own interpretation of "Filipino style".
A second option I have for my OpenGeofiction mapping career, if there is no place for a Filipino-style territory, is to continue mapping in Michisaukee and eventually apply for AR120-08 when I feel that I am experienced enough. For a taste of my American-style mapping, see Lemuria, Michisaukee.
- You should check OGF:Territories where claimable territories are marked on map. There is whole region in North Archanta which is supposed to have South-East Asian mapping theme. There are several territories mapped in Indonesian languages, there was another Filipino territory etc. The range of remaining available territories is not large but there are a few remaining to choose, maybe you will find there something suitable. Personally I would be much more happy to see a Filipino country than another FSA state because European-like territories are a bit overrepresented on map.
- AR902 wasn't started as Filipino territory but a sandbox without any cultural theme (it's still blue, available for everyone,territory on map) and the new idea wasn't really applied to it, because it's probably too foreign for most new mappers. You may however try Filipino style mapping there. Also before you will decide to ask for a territory for yourself, try some natural mapping like forests, lakes, rivers and all that stuff. Admins will ask about it if you want a territory larger than a city-state. Happy mapping, Rustem Pasha (talk) 07:12, 29 July 2023 (UTC)
- Doing some thinking and perusing OGF:Territories; I now have a couple candidates in mind for my future Filipino territory, but none of them are perfect. AR004 is close to AR902 and allows for the theme to be consistent; but there is a large portion of pre-existing mapping in it already that would be a hassle to clear out. TA113 is empty and quite mid-sized but is subject to the 14 day activity requirement (which I don't mind, that is time I will use to build up natural mapping experience per your suggestion), and borders four Spanish-themed territories. While the Philippines IRL did undergo ~300 years of Spanish occupation; a Filipino-themed territory would stick out like a sore thumb in that area. The last two I'm thinking of are AR102 and AR106, but they are in the Africa-themed part of Archanta and would stick out like a sore thumb, again.
- AR004 might be the best choice out of the two; if I can deal with the hassle of removing existing mapping, which I hope an admin will be able to assist with. So now my plan is to spend some more days mapping natural features to build experience, then brainstorm my plans for the territory; submit my application; and start mapping away once it is accepted. Lemuria (talk) 00:28, 30 July 2023 (UTC)
- For East Uletha, I would also like to point you towards OpenGeoFiction:East Uletha where we defined cultural spheres. Sector UL26 could be a potential location for a Philippine-inspired territory, however with the caveat of the region being intended to be mostly free of colonial influences (like Spanish). In any case however my short-term suggestion would be to continue practicing your mapping and experimenting with different mapping styles in blue or beginner territories - the 14 day period is very much a minimum threshold, in most cases it is advisable to map in blue or BG territories for quite a while longer before moving on to a private territory. Cheers, Leowezy (talk) 09:28, 30 July 2023 (UTC)
AR001 is back to available too now. However, echo the sentiment above about building up experience with natural mapping to use in your territory application. Asking for a BG territory to build up this experience is very much recommended - it is much easier to consider it, when it is not mixed up with other users mapping.
Regarding AR004 specifically, it would be good to see an application which maturely considered the adaptation and integration of existing mapping rather than mass deletion.
- Thank you for your feedback. I now have a beginner territory request at Forum:Territory application/BG04 - Lunazon. You might want to take a look at it once you have the time. Lemuria (talk) 18:25, 31 July 2023 (UTC)
- Late to the convo, but I do recommend, if you do want to commit to a Philippine territory, to pick the region in Northern Archanta around Majesia to keep the theme. If I'm correct, Tagalog is an Austronesian language like Majesia's and Wallea's which speak Malay and other Indonesian languages.
- You can actually just request a chunk, and not the entirety, of AR004. Just want to point out.
- Hope to see how your mapping skills develop! All the best in your beginner territory!--Zhenkang (talk) 08:25, 3 August 2023 (UTC)
Also be careful with scale. The BG territories might look small, but they are ~ 100 km x 100 km. Our scale checker tool is useful: https://wiki.opengeofiction.net/util/map_scale.html?map=C/16.414176037585523/15.32553/-112.65013&map2=OSM/x/14.60242/121.09751&pxpt=0.2767&scale=6250 /wangi (talk) 09:25, 3 August 2023 (UTC)
What is the maximum permissible length of time I can stay in a beginner Micriama territory? Of course it's not for "long-term" mapping - I'm fully aware. I think I'm probably gonna keep mapping Lunazon until mid-August and hopefully file my private territory application by early September if all goes well. Lemuria (talk) 14:50, 5 August 2023 (UTC)