|• County||Trentonson County|
|• Census (2020)||554,955|
Wahanta, officially the City of Wahanta, is the largest city of the FSA State of Clamash, and the county seat of Trentonson County. Wahanta is located at the confluence of the Henrietta River and Udlith River. Its population is 554,955 according to the recent 2020 census.
Wahanta is the principal city of the Wahanta-Clifford Metropolitan Area with an estimated population of 1,281,435. The metropolitan area consists of Trentonson, Meade, and San Ramon Counties. Other significant communities in the metropolitan area are Clifford, Sprucewood, Huntington Heights, Land Park, Wardsville, Robertsville, Morningside Heights, and Vista Orchard.
Various indigenous tribes had lived in the land that became Wahanta including the Pahareek, Nantee, and Lumquah.
The city was the established in 1809 by the Peralian Fur Company. Under the PFR, Wahanta remained a small village compared to the downstream city of Clifford. Following the 1842 Clamash Purchase, Wahanta become part of the Federal States of Archanta. The FSA military soon built Fort Walprove on a bluff on west side of the Udlith River to protect the newly acquired territory. In 1843, the Clamash Purchase Company, a subsidiary of the Henrietta Valley Railroad, platted a new village slightly northeast of the existing village of Wahanta where present-day Downtown Wahanta is located. Wahanta remained a small village until the 1850s when a prominent West Lakes businessman, Bridger Morris, constructed the Port of Wahanta on the east bank of the Udlith River. Previously shipments were either loaded from rail to ships at the Clifford or Jundah. Morris saw on opportunity to move the port inland to be closer to the two principal railways connecting Jundah to Lake City. The Port of Wahanta soon surpassed Clifford in shipments and Wahanta saw a population boom of Ulethan immigrants and West Lakes settlers.
Prior to the 1910s, the City of Wahanta was limited to the east bank of the Udlith River. In 1914, the City of Wahanta expanded across the Udlith River by consolidated with the Village of North Wahanta. Due to the relatively flat topography, Wahanta began to expand quickly along the west bank, and by 1918, Wahanta annexed the City of of Banisterport. The annexation of Banisterport began in 1916, however was tied up in court for two years. The City of Wahanta ultimately won City of Wahanta v. City of Banisterport, which set legal precedent for Metropolitan Class Cities to annex Second Class Cities, and Villages with in their chartered county, while First Class Cities are protected from annexation.
In 1954, the FSA motorway system expanded into Clamash. Wahanta was selected as the junction of FS 91 and FS 50. However, due to topography, FS 50 was constructed south of Wahanta in Meade County. In the late 1950s, FS 91 was constructed through the city via the existing Cordilleras Southern Railroad corridor and slum clearance. FS 691 was constructed in the early 1960s and was highly controversial due to the clearance required. Ultimately the motorway planners succeeded and FS 691 was completed. However landmarks such as the Datherton Steel Works and Mair Park were demolished and/or significant reduced in size. FS 191 was proposed to connect the northeast parts of the City and the City of Wardsville in the 1970s. However, opponents succeeded in stopping the project from completion. Only a part of the southern section of FS 191 was constructed, which is now known as the Northeast Freeway.
As maritime shipping changed to larger container ships, the Port of Wahanta facilities near downtown were no longer accessible due to many bridges spanning the Udlith River. In 1962, a newly constructed levee opened up wetlands along the northwest section of the Henrietta and Udlith Rivers confluence. By 1963, construction began on the new Port of Wahanta in this location. Despites numerous lawsuits from environmentalist groups, the new Port of Wahanta opened in 1967. The Port of Wahanta was then expanded again in the 1980s with the construction of Terminal 76.
Following the Flood of 1985, a levee was constructed along the north bank of the Henrietta River in eastern Wahanta. Subsequently, suburban development rapidly occurred. The City of Wahanta annexed this area in 1988 following the rumor of a new city being incorporated.
Wahanta is located in northwestern Clamash at the confluence of the Udlith and Henrietta Rivers. Downtown Wahanta straddles the east bank of the Udlith River. Less than 7 miles away from downtown, the Udlith River flows into the Henrietta River, the largest river in Clamash. Wahanta is approximately 30 miles from the Asperic Ocean. Other significant bodies of water in Wahanta include Onion Creek, Fort Creek, Birch Creek, and Bromegrass Creek.
Though Downtown, the Port Area, and northern reaches of the city are relatively flat, the majority of the city sprawls over river bluffs. Many of these bluffs dramatically rise from the river valleys. Notable bluffs in the City include Thornhill Bluff, Banker's Bluff, Fort Bluff, and Bebrides Bluff. The tallest point in the City is thought to be near Platt Avenue and Hayway Street in the Thornhill neigborhood. To the south of Wahanta in Meade County are the Limestone Hills, a geographical area of tall wooded hills spanning the Clamash-Peralia border.
Wahanta is one of the rainiest cities in the FSA.
Wahanta is generally divided into seven geographical areas: Downtown, South, East, Northeast, North, Northwest, and Southwest.
- Warehouse District
- Old Town
- Floral Row
- Cannon Quarter
- Kingham Bottoms
- Datherton - former town, annexed by Wahanta (rival town)
- Little Glauvaard
- Jepsendam Park North
- Jepsendam Heights
- Hospital Heights
- Banker's Bluff
- Neves Park Place
- Hedge Meadows
- Stannard - former town, annexed by Wahanta (streetcar suburb)
- Salcrest Park
- Swiftsboro - former town, annexed by Wahanta (railroad town)
- Chaulki Beach
- Corks Ferry - former town, annexed by Wahanta (river town)
- Fairfare Gardens
- Bebrides Bluff
- Bergamot Meadows
- Holiday Vineyard
- East Meadows
- Southwest Side
- North Wahanta - former town, annexed by Wahanta (rival town)
- Blueview District
- Rock Island - former town, annexed by Wahanta (streetcar suburb)
- New Bucknell - former town, annexed by Wahanta (railroad town)
- Gronce Park
- Werco Park
- Southwest Campus
- Banisterport -former town, annexed by Wahanta (railroad and rival town)
- Gravel City
- Kalmish Hollow
- Pudding Flats
- Lyndover Park
The City of Wahanta is home to the majority of the tallest buildings in Clamash. Currently the Mutual of Wahanta tower is the tallest building in both Wahanta and Clamash.
|Mutual of Wahanta Tower||1999||44||190||Tallest building in Wahanta and Clamash|
|Second National Bank Center||1983||33||150||Tallest in Wahanta and Clamash until 1999|
|Prudent Choice Advisors Tower||2005||31||146|
|Clifton Condominium Tower||2009||30||114||Tallest residential building in Wahanta and Clamash|
|Bank of the Cordilleras Center||1988||25||111|
|Briggs-Lionheart Financial Building||1983||20||88|
Wahanta is the commercial hub of the State of Clamash. Major companies located in Wahanta are Mutual of Wahanta, Second National Bank, Bassett-Leyton Hotels, Sir Saves-A-Lot, Greeley Mart, Huckelberry's, Minamiaizu, Fossill-7M, Fieldlander, ConcordaHealth, TaxFSA, Cordilleras Southern, Bakken Group, ZIG Planning and Design, LunarBeam, Prudent Choice Investments, Ames Executive Entertainment, MontanaWeston, WLT Advisors, and Begonia Foods.
The City of Wahanta is served by one FS highway, FS-91. Secondary routes FS 350 FS 691 are also located in the corporate limits of the city. FS 50 is located nearby in Meade County. The State of Clamash recently upgraded CL 78 to a motorway in 2018. CL 85 and CL 15 are designated trunk routes in Wahanta. Other state highways in the city are CL 22, CL 33, CL 61, and CL 98. The Wahanta-Clifford metropolitan area is further served by CL 9, CL 43, CL 45, CL 56, CL 62, CL 73, CL 77, and CL 79
The Cordilleras Southern Railroad and the Saugenash & Northern Railroad have primary routes through the city. The two lines intersect in the Southtown neighborhood. The common carrier railroad in the city is the Wahanta Terminal Railroad which has lines serving the Port of Wahanta, Minamiaizu Assembly Plant in Vista Orchard, and the Wardsville Power Station in Wardsville.
The Port of Wahanta is located on the northwest side of the Udlith and Henrietta Rivers confluence.
Wahanta-Clifford International Airport (WCA) is located approximately ___ miles west of Downtown Wahanta in the City of Clifford, and serves as the primary airport in Clamash. The airport offers flights to major hubs such as Jundah and Lake City.
The City of Wahanta has recently constructed bike trails throughout the city including Rails to Trails projects.
The City of Wahanta is primarily by the Wahanta Public School District. Some parts of the city are located in the Budlee Public School District and the Wardsville-Vista Orchard Public School District.
Wahanta is home to multiple colleges. The largest colleges are McKnight University and the University of Clamash - Wahanta. Other colleges include St. Urbicus College, Clamash Bartholomewan University, Northern Clamash Community College (multiple campuses), Lyman College, and Mount Mirgo Seminary.
Wahanta Whirlpools - Basketball Wahanta Mammoths - Ice Hockey Sporting Wahanta -Soccer Wahanta Scouts - Baseball
A Gridiron football expansion team is expected to be located in Wahanta in 2023.