This is the official forum for Deodeca, a state-based collaborative project in South Archanta. Located adjacent to the Federal States and Ardencia, Deodeca is a temperate, first-world Commonwealth-inspired nation on the Asperic coast of Archanta.
Unlike previous iterations of Deodeca that failed to gain traction with the community, the new Deodeca project is intended to be an English-speaking counterbalance to the Federal States project, for modern English-language mapping that is not American-inspired. Tentative history for the nation is based on Ingerish colonists settling Deodeca slightly before circumnavigating Astrasia and establishing settlements in what is now the southeastern Federal States. The two sets of colonies followed relatively similar trajectories; however, when the Ingerish colonists in the Federal States rebelled and declared their independence, the Deodecan colonies remained loyal to the Crown. As a result of this divergence, the Federal States became a more militaristic nation that aggressively expanded through other colonial claims in Astrasia while the Deodecans remained more peaceful, focusing more on domestic and international trade than expansion.
As time went on, the Deodecans and the Federal States grew to have stronger diplomatic relations, culminating with the Federal States purchasing a portion of Deodeca (Clamash) to complete a transcontinental railroad in the mid- to late-1800s.
|1||Defaced Ingerish Red Ensign with the badge of colonial Deodeca (or its then Ingerish Something name). Ratio (1:2) and colours are based on the traditional British colonial flags. The 6-point star is influenced by flags from neighbouring Ambrosia with the idea that the star may have some cultural significance in the Southern Hemisphere or this region of Archanta. This rather basic sketch is inspired by pre-1965 Canada where, unlike most other British Colonies, the Red Ensign and not the Blue Ensign was the main flag to fly. --Aiki (talk) 10:13, 28 April 2022 (UTC)|
|2||Defaced Ingerish Red and Blue Ensign (two primary colours of Deodeca). Similarly to Aiki's proposal, the six-point star is meant to be a symbol of the region (as it is present in Ambrosian and Lutecian culture). The insignia is based on some elements of Deodeca, such as the national flower, national crop, and the crown linking it to Ingerland. (This flag can also potentially work as the flag of Ingerish Asperia)|
|3||Defaced Ingerish Blue/Red Ensigns. Inspired by the winning proposal for the Australian flag in the Melbourne Evening Herald The 13 stripes on the bottom left of the flag is meant to represent the 13 provinces of Deodeca. The six-point star is meant to be a symbol of the region, which I took inspiration from Aiki and Arlo's proposals. This number of stripes are subject to change.|
|4||Newer, modern style featuring colours taken from the Ingerish Flag (possibly from some former flag that included the jack of the Ingerish Flag). It features the eight-pointed star which seems to have, by unspoken majority, become a national symbol for Deodeca.|
|5||A variant based off proposals 1 and 4 with the Ingerish flag in the canton. This variant is possibly a historical version from which option 4, if adopted, is derived.|
Deodecan flag nominations will be open to anyone who is currently editing in Deodeca. This includes province owners AND contributors (contributors will have to have been contributing since before August 1st). Please limit your nomination to just 1 [one] flag. The other flag options will be reused in other elements of Deodeca (e.g. military flags, historical flags, etc). When nominating, please indicate which variation of flag you are voting for (if a flag entry has more than one design/variation). Please begin nominations below:
- I would like to start off by putting the green variant of option 4 as my first preference for Deodeca's national flag Arlo (talk) 00:16, 29 July 2022 (UTC)Arlo
- I'll put my vote down for green 4! --Intergan (talk) 22:47, 2 August 2022 (UTC)
- I third this, I vote for red #4. --- Thanks, Zekiel (talk) 02:47, 3 August 2022 (UTC)
- I will also be voting for the green variant of the fourth submission. ---- Until next, KAB (talk) 05:30, 3 August 2022 (UTC)
- I vote for red #4. ParAvion (talk) 19:35, 8 August 2022 (UTC)
- I really like how the green variant of #4 tries to not use Ingerland's colors, it has my vote. --IiEarth (talk) 21:01, 8 August 2022 (UTC)
- I also vote for the green variant of Flag #4.  --Enderbyte09 02:29, 9 August 2022 (UTC))
- green #4 w/ red #4's colour palette would be sublime - Bealdbeorn (talk) 21:48, 13 August 2022 (UTC)
Finalisation of Flag
Hi, based on the consensus reached off-site, the following proposal has been made official, making use of all flags:
Hi all, from previous discussions this seemed like a good map of the TDH (a name we seem to have quietly agreed to settle on). I have a few observations and suggestions:
- Most likely, ref=TDH-#;[province highway ref] (ex. ref=TDH-1;M116) is the format that will be used to tag the highways. [province highway ref] may not be needed if the highway is only the Trans-Deodeca Highway, and does not have an additional reference given by the province.
- We have not decided if the TDH will be an initiative from the federal government (as in, the highways are built to federal standards, with (some) federal money), or an agreement between provinces (in other words, the highways are entirely managed by the provinces, and the government has chosen some sections of highways from existing networks to become TDH. This decision will affect a lot of other details about the highways on the map, including the above.
- How do we tell future province-owners about how they should map their sections of the TDH? - Thanks, Zekiel (talk) 01:08, 4 August 2022 (UTC)
To really sum up our discussions on the discord, the main things that we agreed upon are:
- That the current capital is going to be a separate territory, not within one of the provinces.
- The capital territory will likely be carved out of AR060-03, adjacent to Agawaskway's NW-most point.
- A river will be drawn from Westhaven Lake to the Sea of Deodeca, and said river will draw one of the borders of the capital territory.
- We should refer to the capital territory as the "Capital District" until we can come up with a better name.
- We should consult with admins soon, so we can get this done quickly. - Thanks, Zekiel (talk) 01:08, 4 August 2022 (UTC)
- Update on this, there exists an administrative boundary for the territory, within Agawaskway. Planning should be coordinated by someone (not necessarily me) with a vision for the city. As well, we have come to the consensus that the name of the river on whose banks the capital sits will be Odeka. This name comes from older iterations of Deodeca, whose name is derived from the name of a native nation. - Thanks, Zekiel (talk) 03:11, 23 August 2022 (UTC)
I'd like to open up a voting list here, like we did for the flags, for nominations for the name of the capital city.
|Name||Description/Origin and Notes|
That Ambrosian enclave
Some interesting notes:
- The enclave is suspiciously close in shape to Andorra.
- It would technically be more realistic to talk with newflanders about resolving the enclave, but
- That takes too much work and the map is more interesting this way, so we should just leave it as is for now. - Thanks, Zekiel (talk) 01:08, 4 August 2022 (UTC)
- Education system (i.e. how schools work) is up to provinces, but we are open to some sort of national level of coordination if that is sought out. - Thanks, Zekiel (talk) 01:08, 4 August 2022 (UTC)
- The north is dominated by Cricket and Rugby, the south loves Hockey, but football (not american football) is for everyone. - Thanks, Zekiel (talk) 01:08, 4 August 2022 (UTC)
Military and Paramilitary organisations
Hi all, I propose this set of locations for military facilities (for all intents and purposes we can assume that the affix "Royal" may or may not be included in the final name):
|Deodecan Officers' College||Frontenac, AW||A post-secondary institution meant to train up future Officers in all RDF branches.|
|College of Strategic Studies||Lamington, QAI||An educational institution meant to train NCOs into Commissioned Officers (COs), and for COs to train into the Senior Officer ranks (>Captain or Lieutenant(N)).|
|Deodecan Naval Academy||Somewhere in QAI||Training facility for NCM recruits in the Navy (and possibly marines).|
|Deodecan Air Force Academy||Somewhere in IA||Training facility for NCM recruits in the Air Force.|
|Army Academy of Deodeca||Somewhere in PE||Training facility for NCM recruits in the Army.|
|Royal Lake Guard Academy||Somewhere in AT (preferably near a town called "Bathtub")||Training facility for NCM recruits in the Bathtub Navy.|
|Deodecan Coast Guard Academy||Somewhere in IA||Training facility for NCM recruits in the Coast Guard.|
|Coast Guard Officers' College||Somewhere in AR060-02||A post-secondary institution meant to train up future Officers in the Coast Guard and RLG.|
|Police Academy of Deodeca||Somewhere in AG||Training facility for NCM recruits in the Deodecan Federal Police, near the facility for the Deodecan Federal Police "A" Division. Sometimes trains units of Provincial and local police forces.|
|Deodecan Police Officers' College||Somewhere in AG, AT, or AW||A post-secondary institution meant to train up future Officers in the DFP.|