Adakalè

From OpenGeofiction Encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
16, 26.1797, 101.4032
Adakalè
Álbâ Carôlínê
Town
250px
Adakalè Citadel
CountryAnthariaFlag.jpeg Antharia
 • Province#REDIRECT Template:Quadrilateral Province
Ethnic Groups
(2015)
Romanish: 46.8%
Turquese: 39,7%
Franquese: 2,6%
DemonymGüladası
Island of Roses
Government
 • MayorErzhun Izman
 • PrefectIvan George
Elevation0-32 m
Population
 • Estimate (2011)Increase 1,200
Websiteadakale.an
Adakalè (also known as Alba-Carolina, in Turquese Adakale, in Franquese Adacalé, in Antharian Álbâ Carôlínê, in Pollonian Ada-Kaleh) is a town in Antharia, Cadrilather Province, situated on the same-named island in the Gulf of Barodyn. The town is especially known for its old town, the Adakalè Citadel and the Turquese minority, established in this place since the 18th century.

History

Adakalè in 1860

The island of Adakalè was first mentioned in a letter from the early 14th century, in which a Antharian peasant asks the prefect of the former nearby town Nêgéniî if he could agriculturally use the Green Island's terrain.

In 1356, the Antharian Chronicles mentioned a "small island, not longer than 3000 feet, with a voluptuous vegetation" and "being a paradisiacal home to more species of birds than you can find in the entire Antharian Kingdom". In this context appears also the legend, that once an Antharian king wanted to build a fortress on the island, but as he visited it alone once, it swam away and dropped him off the edge of the world, after which the island swam back to its original place.

Because of the island's strategic position, Antharian kings didn't follow the legend's warning. In 1400, King Môrís I built a small fortress in the eastern part of the island, to secure Antharia against oversea enemies and pirates. The fortress was extended and fortified many times, until it was completely destroyed by the Franquese army during the First Antharian War in 1642. Under occupation, the island became a deposit of goods.

After the fortress was taken back by Antharians in 1661, King Mâríon II built a large citadel around the old ruins and called it Álbâ Carôlínê (White Castle). With the time, the island started to get populated with merchants who built their houses inside and near the citadel.

In 1723, a earthquake with a magnitude of 7.3 degrees on Richter scale hit the island and severely damaged many buildings. As consequence, the island was almost completely abandoned.

During the romanization of Antharia, which started in 1755, the ruined island was donated to the Turquese minority in Barodyn and surroundings, which wasn't allowed to leave the island anymore. This is when Álbâ Carôlínê changed name to Adakale, which means in Turquese Island of the Citadel. As the locators had to make money for buying construction materials to rebuild the town, they started creating natural products as soap, perfume, jam, cigars and wine. Empty sites of the town were turned into rose gardens and the island adopted the second name of "Island of Roses" (Güladası). At the end of the 18th century, on the island functioned two small factories, one of perfume and one of cigars, as well as a Turquese school.

The Romanish writer Alexandru Beligan describes the island of Adakalè in 1821 as follows:

As we approach the island by boat, I am amazed that there are minarets on the island. [...] In the harbor, a strong, new building dominates [...] The streets are architecturally chaotic, next to tall, old buildings are small, newer houses. [...] The whole city smells of the perfume of roses growing in enclosed gardens. [...] The old fortress is a ruin in which there are also roses. [...] In some places new Turquese houses are built on the old city walls. Overall, Adakalè is an interesting place, which everyone has to see once in their life.
File:Adakalè Ruins.jpeg
Adakalè Bazaar in 1920

Starting with 1830, Tutun de Ada-Kaleh (Ada-Kaleh Tobacco) furnishes the Royal Family of Antharia with cigars and since 1834, when the Antharian King Carol I visited the island, the Turquese population of Adakalè is freed from paying taxes.

In 1879, the three mosques of the island were burned down by Antharian rebels. This caused a loss of many valorous carpets and objects of jewelry. As consequence, the bridge between the mainland and Adakalè was torn down so visitors could get to the island only by boat.

After the Revolution of 1921, Antharia turned into a fascist state. Under the rule of Jean Gheorghe-Barraca, the Turquese population of Adakalè had to go to war and on the island was built a hospital for injured soldiers. After Antharia surrendered in 1925, the island was occupied by Cimenoirean troops. In this time, in Adakalè opened even a torture camp, which functioned until 1942.

After the Reconstitution of Antharia in 1943, the island was given back to the Turquese minority, but many of them didn't want to return, because many parts of the island, including the old citadel, were completely destroyed. The next 50 years, the island was only inhabited by factory workers.

In 1995 a process of reconstruction and revitalization of the island began. Until 2012, the old buildings in Adakalè were rebuilt after old plans and photographs. Today, Adakalè is one of the most significant points of interest in Antharia.

Economics and infrastructure

Adakalè is located near the mainland and has been connected to it until 1882 via a 300 m (984 feet) stone bridge, which was demolished for security reasons. Nowadays a personboat brings tourists from the mainland to the island and back twice an hour.

Adakalè is a popular tourist destination, due to its proximity to the capital of Antharia, Bărădin, and to other historical landmarks as Vâlcești and Niculești Nord.

Culture and religion

File:AdakalèEthnicGroups.png
Ethnic groups of Adakalè

Adakalè has historically been the center of Turquese culture, even if they first settled on this island in the 18th century. Various literature in Turquese was created and in part preserved on the island. A local survey shows that in 2014, 42% of the locators are Moslems. The island has three mosques, including the biggest mosque in Antharia, Geamia Albastră (Blue Mosque).

In addition to the mosques, there are still remains of Christianity. There are three churches left inside the citadel and one Orthodox monastery outside, built in 1951.

Languages

Adakalè is well known for its language diversity. Although ethnically there are more Turquese people on the island, the most spoken language is Romanish. The smallest significant language spoken is Franquese, which is spoken by around 3% of the locators as native language. Also Adakalè was the last place where the Antharian Language was spoken.

See also

Provinces and counties in Antharia
Steag Bugeac.png Budshak Province

Bercea-IzvoareDrageaIvireanaNăsăudVlașca-Sighet

Steag Cadrilater.png Quadrilateral Province
AbaliaAnțiaAttikaCallatisCiprineeaKaliakraKaraimanReciTurtukaia

Steag Dalbatria.png Dalbatria Province
BuzagiaCalabașiTârnava MareTârnava Mică

Steag Polonia.png Pollonia Province
CarașMuscelPiatraȘapte Sate

Steag Corția.png Quartia Province
RomanațiTorontalTurdava

Steag Valahia.png Vallaquia Province
AlmașArțelBărădinBărăganHotinLăpușnaStoroginețȘapirioTrei Scaune