Co Phan Railway Station

From OpenGeofiction Encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Co Phan
古扮 Cổ Phẫn
Chinatown Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur City Centre, Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - panoramio (1).jpg
Platforms and tracks of Co Phan Railway station at Kuehong's side.
Coordinates30.09498°N, 160.93262°E
Owned byKuehongese National Railways
Fayaan Rails
Line(s)Bo Sinh Main route
Vang Ngat island route
Train operatorsKuehongese National Railways
Other information
Station codeCP
Opened12 April 1912
Passengers41.27 million 

Co Phan Border Railway Station, often called Co Phan Railway Station, is a railway station in Co Phan Border City, along the Fayaan-Kuehong border. Part of it is under Kuehong's jurisdiction; the other under Fayaan's. The station is where the Kuehongese and Fayaan railway services meet, allowing for passengers to transfer between the two railway systems. The customs, immigration and quarantine facilities of both countries are co-located in the station.


Fayaan—Kuehong Railway project

Construction of a railway line from northern Fayaan through Kuehong and ending at Cinasia have been envisioned by the many colonial powers that have been in control of the Muinon Peninsula since the middle of the 19th century. However, the powers and the various rail companies refused to cooperate with one another to build the full railway line, and only remain able to construct their own segments of the line. Rival segments began to form and an informal race was held to build the full line.

In 1847, the Southern Fayaan Rail Company (SFRC) made a landmark agreement with the Earnest Urban Rails Corporation (EURC) on having a joint rail line from Klaarbon to central Kuehong (Phong Thinh), and hence as part of certain arrangements, the SFRC was set to extend its rail line from Klaarbon to Tra Lung via Co Phan, with immigration checks agreed at Co Phan station when passengers travelled from Fayaan into Bai Muinon. However, the Southern Fayaan Rail Company was forcefully acquired by the Fayaan government in 1863, transforming it into a state-owned company. This has caused disputes with the Bai in Kuehong as lands acquired by the company are to be considered be under Fayaan's jurisdiction, as claimed by the government, and refused to establish exit checks from Fayaan at the station. Eventually, the agreement was terminated in 1867, but the SFRC, as part of the first stage of the rail line, has already finished the completion of Co Phan station and the rail line into Kuehong that connects to the station. Still, trains of the SFRC terminates at Puetro Triumfo station and Co Phan station was left underused. The EURC later collapsed in 1871 due to bankruptcy.

20th century

In 1892, another private rail company, the Tra Lung Passenger and Freight Limited, opened a rail line from Co Phan to Kiet Tai, but the section from Pha Ly to Co Phan remains closed. The rail company decided to build its own platforms and concourse adjacent to the current station as Fayaan refused to allow the company to use the unused platforms of the station for its services. After the company was acquired by the West Kuehong Railways, the company decided to reopen the station after discussions with Fayaan on customs and immigration arrangements at the station. The station eventually opened on 12 April 1912, allowing those from Kuehong to travel by rail to the border and cross into Fayaan, with the other extending its rail services to the station.

Discussions for direct cross-border services were brought up but never came to fruition. Nevertheless, such discussions have a bearing on further developments of the station, with new tracks directly connecting the train networks in Kuehong and Fayaan and new platforms constructed that brought the two sides of the station closer to one another. As part of the station's refurbishments in 1992, a second level was constructed to allow more space for new facilities needed for border checks and agreement to regulate the snack stalls that set up around the station. As part of the Co Phan Border Grand Gateway development in 2004, a retail mall has been built, the now-air-conditioned waiting halls and bus terminal for the station were expanded. In December 2006, work started on repairing the roof and other parts of the station as part of a 30 billion Bac restoration programme.


Co Phan station has two levels: a retail concourse, ticketing area, arrivals hall and the railway platforms at-grade on the ground level, and the customs, immigration and quarantine facilities of both countries are co-located on the second floor. Seven of the platforms are located at Kuehong's side, with four in operation, while on Fayaan's side there all of its four platforms remain in operation. One platform at Kuehong's side is meant to serve a track at Fayaan's side; it remains closed and fenced off. The fence not only separates the two sides of the station at the platform level, but it also marks the international boundary between Kuehong and Fayaan.


Rail services

Preceding station Kuehongese National Railways Following station
Mua Tat
towards Chung Nguoi Airport
Vang Ngat Island Line
Airport–Co Phan Shuttle
Mua Tat
towards Loang Khuech
Western Kuehong Railway Corridor
Bo Hat Central
towards Loang Khuech
Western Kuehong Railway Corridor
Preceding station Fayaan Rails Following station
Terminus Puerto Triumfo
toward Klaarbron
Preceding station Coast Express Following station
Terminus Coast Express
Local service B
toward Suhui
Terminus Coast Express
Express service F
toward Futong Ocean Airport

See also