|10, -34.2215, 76.8542|
and largest city
|• Regional languages||Ingerish, Utz, Uÿuŧė|
|Ethnic Groups||Unspecified (of Ūdzđąnąrąty origin) (54%), Others (46%)|
|• Under-Grower Diplomatic||Janpan Heathcliffe 12P-IK|
|• Total||c50 km2|
|Drives on the||left|
|Internet TLD||.et .oo|
E'tena' is an island territory located in southern Antarephia lying about 10km east of Ūdzđąnąrąt. The territory is a constituent member of the Organisation of Independent Oceanic Islands (OIOI) and is technically a state within this Federation. It was a founder member of the federation, joining in 1964.
The name 'Etena' derives from the legendary "garden of God" a place of "fruitful, well-watered trees". The first explorers probably gave the name to the island on this basis, but it may also be rooted in an earlier native name in the Utz language, 'E' meaning 'its' and Tenă (pron, 'Tenakh') meaning 'goodness'. Today E'tena is dominated by its military base. The base is the current headquarters of the anarcho-militarist organisation Telkhug Ēkdŭn (TĒ). Most TĒ ships and aircraft are based here along with power plants, research facilities and cyber-infrastructure.
E'tena, along with Ūdzđąnąrąt was discovered in the early 15th century by Ulethan explorers. The east coast of the island was the only place where landing was possible on the island, but even here anchorage was often dangerous due to the rough seas. A number of expeditions landed on the island and it was briefly claimed by Ulethan colonisers from various countries including Ingerland and Ionadàlba. However, resistance by the native tribe on the island and on Ūdzđąnąrąt meant that permanent settlement failed, although a toll was exerted on the native people both by disease and warfare.
In 1818 the Ingerish Slate Company raided the islands and enslaved almost its entire remaining population of native tribespeople; at least 1000 men, women and children were removed. The people were taken to various mining colonies in the Southern Asperic area including Kėzėpölān (Kĕzepŏląn in Dontdū). Fires were set at the two villages raided. Coupled with an extremely dry season and high winds the fires quickly spread and most of the forest on the island was burned, resulting in an area that was uninhabitable for the next quarter century. The temporary slave camp on the island also resulted in the introduction of rats and goats to the island, which helped to prevent the natural forest's recovery. The island was largely depopulated until the early 20th century when small numbers of settlers from Ūdzđąnąrąt made their way there, although the narrow stretch of water which separates the two islands is rough and dangerous. Together with the re-establishment of links with descendants of the 1818 slaves, who had forged an expanding settlement in Kėzėpölān and other emigrant settlements of Ūdzđąnąrąty origin (e.g. Tąpi Rā and las Islas M y M), modern development began on the island, including the construction of a military base in the 1940s. The base's purpose was ostensibly to prevent the establishment of foreign colonial settlements or bases on E'tena or Ūdzđąnąrąt. From then onwards, Telkhug Ēkdŭn developed relationships with left-wing governments around the world, which led to the organisation becoming a member of the International Workers Alliance in 1959.
The island lacks most natural resources, but is largely self-sufficient in food, especially seafood. Small scale harvesting of crops and plots is still practised, even within the confines of the military base, with many skills passed over from Ūdzđąnąrąt. In 1962 goats were eliminated from the island due to the continuing destruction they were causing, and in 1967 the last rats were killed. The island's forest has been recovering since the mid-1970s and some native plant species have been re-introduced. Attempts are being made to control invasive non-native plant species, but restrictions in capability make this difficult. However, in 2008 the first Ūdzđąnąrąt Dodos on E'tena for more than 150 years bred successfully.
In the only referendum held on the island, in 1964, islanders voted to charge the diplomatic council of Telkhug Ēkdŭn as responsible for all aspects of the island's domestic and foreign policy relations. Over time, this has shifted so that islanders today have a much stronger say in both of these areas. An independent legislature, based on systems in Kėzėpölān and legislature in the International Criminal Court, upholds human rights and individual freedoms.