Iola International Skyport
|Z14, 27.6771 °N, 43.5111 °E|
|Iola International Skyport|
| Portureqio Internatio Iola|
|Began operation||15 May 1959(as military facility)|
|Long distance train lines||Istatio Portureqio ( B , R )|
|Tram lines||Sa Linia|
Iola International Skyport (Maurit: Portureqio Internatio Iola) (WAAT: IOL, ANACA: DIOL) is the busiest airport in and primary aviation gateway to Mauretia. The airport is approximately located 16 kilometers east of the ancient center of Iola and is just outside of the municipal boundaries in neighboring Qambiurri. It is both a domestic and international hub for the Maureti flag-carrier Peyan and a hub city for Pan Ulethan World Airlines.
Iola's first civil airport was in Cedilutroso (Ing.: bright field). It was constructed as a singular airstrip in the est-end neighborhood in 1929. The airport saw little domestic use during its first fifteen years. The airport mostly served as a stop-over on international flights for airplanes to refuel. In 1938, a commercial terminal was constructed and made accessible to the nearby train station, and a collective of Mauro scientists launched the commercial and postal air service Oblinire. After a few unsuccessful years, the government nationalized company in exchange for its debts and rebranded it Peyan. During the global war in the 1940s, Mauretia's neutrality made the airport a frequent stop of diplomats, spies, businessmen, and other individuals seeking to broker backroom deals, peace treaties, or to hide. Commercial flights continued in and out of the neutral country and Maureti aviation began to blossom.
In the early 1950s, it was becoming clear that the airfield at Cedilutroso was not sufficient to handle the larger jets that had been invented and the greater frequency of flights that airlines were seeking to have. The rapid growth of Iola also meant that the city was encroaching on the airfield, leaving space at a premium. Plans started to be drafted to build a larger airport further east of the city, in the Qambiurra plain. The national and provincial governments worked to purchase a large plot in Qambiurra that eventually became the new airport. Construction began in the summer of 1958, and it began operation as a temporary military facility in 1959 for the Maureti air service. In 1961, the larger Zatro–Petri and Aborne (Iqosa) air bases were completed. The military built a passenger terminal on the grounds before departing, and it began operation in June of that year. With the closure of the Cedilutroso airstrip, the new east–west motorway was placed in its stead and the land redeveloped.
Now in Qambiurra, the newly named Portureqio ("skyport") opened with what is now Terminal 1. The southern runway was the primary runway, with the crosswind runway available seasonally. In 1973, a second terminal was built. The new terminal necessitated a partial demolition of the first terminal, which was converted to solely domestic travel. In 1985, a new runway was built to the north, closing in the terminal space. In the late 1990s, plans were drawn up to reroute the train around the airport to accommodate the metropolitan area's expansion. The airport's station was converted in 1999 to a tram station, with a new people mover going back and forth between the terminals and the main rail station just outside the airport grounds. leaving the current airport station as a tram connection to shuttle people from the terminal to the main line.
The next expansion to the airport came in 2000–2003, with the construction of the new Terminal 3. After this new terminal was built, Terminal 2 was renovated over the next few years. Further expansion plans are slated for 2022, with the construction of a fourth terminal and the demolition of the old original Terminal 1.
Terminal 1 is a designated for domestic flights and regional charter flights. It is the oldest of the three terminals, having been constructed for the initial opening in 1961. The terminal has been renovated twice but is in need of further updates. Studies have shown that full demolition and reconstruction is the most coast effective means of creating a quality, modern terminal. Demolition and reconstruction is currently slated for 2023–2024, after completion of the new fourth terminal.
Terminals 2 and 3 handle all commercial international flights in and out of the airport. The second terminal is the older of the two, having been built in 1973 and completely renovated in 2005–2006. Both terminals feature more modern designs, including high-tech security checkpoints and amenities. The third terminal has consistently been rated highly, and these two terminals are responsible for the airports positive reputation. Terminal 2 is home to Pan Ulethan World Airlines and members of the WorldStar alliance. Terminal 3 is a two-level terminal that is home to the Maureti flag carrier, Peyan, and all Geolliance code-sharing airlines. As hub terminals, both major airlines have club facilities in the terminals.