Métropole de Troie-Charleville-Sansévérina
The Métropole de Troie-Charleville-Sansévérina is a specific admistrative structure of Broceliande covering the cities of Troie, Charleville and Sansévérina and most of their suburbs. As a whole, it covers 50 municipalities. with about 3 million inhabitants, it is the most populated urban area in Broceliande and concentrates 3/4 of the population of Illion. It covers 785 Km².
Its assembly is located in Troie ( 2, Route Zavantem []). The assembly is composed of 89 members representing all the municipalities, the province and the state. Its president is the mayor of Troie.
The metropolis was created in 2003/2004 and became fully operationnal of January 1st 2005.
The metropolis is in charge of public transportation (particularily of the TCS Mass transit system called REAT and TransTroie), urban planning (including the lodging and car parking policies), the airport, the ports and marinas, the water supply system, trash collection and economic development.
The first attempt to create a structure encompassing the development of the cities of Troie, Charleville and Sansévérina was in 1932. The strong opposition of local mayors and of the province assembly stopped the state initiative.
As a result, the develpment of this strategical area remained chaotic until 2005 and the creation of the today structure.
The main projects (projet TCS 2030) of the metropolis are :
- to create of a unique public transportation authority (in remplacement of the existing structures),
- to reduce the social inequities within the metropolis,
- to give the metropolis an international identity to attract more investment,
- to create of a unique public university (unification of UniTroie, Université de Sansévérina and several other specific structures) and a unique public hospitals administration,
- to encourage a more green development of the metropolis (soft mobilities, parks and forests preservation, green buildings...)
- to remain a world class touristic destination.