|13, -14.2513, 43.8729|
|• Region||Province Redondo|
|Latinians (87%), Natives (7%), Other (6%)|
|Nationalities||Latinans (94%), Other (6%)|
|• Mayor||Ernesto Flegonzo|
|• Vice Mayor||Bernardo Holcos|
|• Total||xyz km2|
|• Urban||xyz km2|
|• Rural||abc km2|
|Elevation||300 m (700 ft)|
|• Estimate (2014)||730 000|
|• Census (2011)||726 509|
|Postal Code||5401 - 5414|
Redondo is a city in the center of Latina. The town is the capital of the province Redondo of Latina. Redondo has 726 509 inhabitants (zensus 2011). The Flag shows five bottles of wine - Redondo is the well known centre of wine in Latina.
1693 independent from the Latina-colony feeling settlers founded the town of Redondo between the Redondo Lake and the Saguset river. The new town to that time was a far outpost in land of indigene tribes. Relations with the colony of Latina at this outpoust of civilisation are only loose - so as this settlers want.
The nearest latinian troops are 200 km away at the tower of Gentofte. Therefore the people of Redondo ask at the colony of "New Holland" for shelter againt some indigene tribes. 1727 New Holland has taken over the principality of Grimoualdini and so the government in Van Pelt takes the occasion and send troops over the Sierra Grande in the valley of the Rio Saguset. The colony of Latina answered soon and so 1729 til 1735 lasted the Redondo War. After the end of the struggle was clear, that Redondo was part of Latina and no new independent colony.
Around 1700 the settlers are able, to produce wine in ths climate at 14° south after crossing vitis vinfera with an endemic wild wine plant, because in the shadow of the Sierra Grande are rain enought and the Redondo-valley lays 400 m about the sea-level. So the Wine of Redondo was well known in Latina and the colony must not import more expensiv wine.
1750 was build a small harbour at the river to transport the wine with the ship via the Rio Saguset to Saguset and Latina (Cidudad), where the wine was stored at an special port there - now in the Barrio # 9 of Latina. Around the 1850ies this shipping ended, because then the wine was transported with the railway.
From 1824 Redondo are part of the republic of Latina and now the capital of the province with the same name. Therefore in the 1820ies the new town was founded (now barrio # 2). Around 1840 the old fortifications are changed to a broad parks along the canals between the lake and the river. 1849 was founded the university of Redondo.
1851 the railway from Latina (Cidudad) reached Redondo. The first station was build at the old town, now named as "Redondo-Cidudad". 1855 was build a line from Redondo to Porto Colon, til 1911 starting from the "Eastern-station" in Barrio # 12. This closed station now is the technical museum of the town.
--- more text ---
In Redondo the first urban transportation was organisized as usual with horsetrams. 1896 to 1899 this lines become electric power with the system "Sprague" with 500 V DC - the most common system in Latina.
1991 the AVE-hi-speed railway reached Redondo with line # 8a, but most part of the line run over tracks with 3 rails, no independent AVE-rails. The work therefore is in construction. 1992 the AVE-line # 12 from Delta via Redondo and Scippo to Topahappan was opened and then the new station "Redondo Nuovo" was opened. Since then to "Redondo Cidudad" only run more local trains, which terminated at Redondo.
.... more text ....
Redondo is divided in 17 suburbs, named "barrios". Postal Code is always 540x or 541x and the number of the suburb ( always 4 numerals 5401 to 5417). Government and greater organisations have postalcodes from 5421 to maximal 5459.
Like in Latina (Cidudad) always for some barrios are local courts in service - so in Redondo there are local courts for always four or five suburbs in the center, north, south and east.
|1||Nuestra Señora||Our Lady church||center||1693||xyz||abc||def||Oldest part of city|
|2||Plaza Major||main place||center||1791||Shopping and Commercial center|
|5||Opera||opera house||south||1860 starting|
|12||Codo con codo||side by side||east||1875||the socialist anthem of the barrio|
|14||Zorro nero||black fox||south||1870||with the southern shopping center|
|15||Zorro colorado||colored fox||south||1885|
|17||Lado Ravessa||Ravessa side||south||1880|
|whole town||726 509|
Redondo is the heart of the land of wine in Latina ... (more text) ...
Redondo has together with Scippo an national airport. Flights go to Belsante, Du Bois, Cordoba, Van Pelt and Porto Colon. To Latina (Cidudad) you can take the AVE hi-speed railway. From the town the airport can reached with the AVE-raiway-line # 12 in direction to Scippo.
Motorway # 8 from Latina (Cidudad) to Pugall leads to the town. Motorway # 18 (Delta - Topahappan) runs west of the town. Redondo is served from the primary-routes ## 31, 33 and 39. Route # 31 partly is buildt as motorway.
In Redondo terminated the railway hi-speed-line # 8 a (AVE) from Latina (Cidudad) and line # 12 stops in the town. The Rapido-lines 500, 505, 510, 590, 835 and 845 stops at Redondo. With this lines the town is an important knotpoint in the railway net of Latina.
The traffic in the town is mainly organisized with streetcars. There are 18 streetcar-lines, ## 1 to 18. Lines ## 1 to 4 and 11 to 16 runs to the old city and lines ## 1 to 10 to the main-station "Redondo-Nuovo" and the newer western center. Lines ## 17 and 18 junctioned outer suburbs. Line # 1 since 1989 runs via an old railway-trackbed in the west of the town as express-line to Bejocort. At the end of the lines are turning loops, only at the eastern end of line # 4 is a track-triangle.
There are new "short" cars of 48 m and "long" cars of 72 m for lines with denser traffic. Therefore most streetcar-depots now are 150 m long. Formerly in Gentofte (as in other towns) are shorter cars in use.
Worth to see
- Alameda Bajada with more than 25 traditional "winegardens" under shady trees - Barrio # 8 - see 17, -14.21233, 43.81870
- Great Cathedrale "Nuestra Señora" - Barrio # 1 - see 17, -14.25681, 43.90109
- Plaza Major - Barrio # 2 - see 17, -14.25571, 43.88977
- so called "Summerhouses" at the lake (see photo-gallery) - Barrios ## 1 and 2 - see 16, -14.2614, 43.9133
- Technical Museum in the old railway-station to Porto Colon - Barrio # 12 - see 16, -14.2445, 43.9229
- Watermill and old Wineport at the Rio Saguset - Barrio # 2 - see 16, -14.2357, 43.8886
--- more will follow ---
Citizens Service (What is where?)
|Cortes de Provincia||provincial parliament||20, Palmaille||# 4|
|Cortes superiores Provincial||high-court of the province||201, Calle los Cortes||# 2|
|Cortes superiores Cidudad||high-court ot the town||151, Calle los Cortes||#2|
|Cortes locales centro||local court central||151, Calle los Cortes||# 2|
|Cortes locales este||local court east||10, Calle el Amor||# 10|
|Cortes locales sur||local court south||10, Ronda Charreau||# 14|
|Cortes locales norte||local court north||51, Avenida Gentofte||# 7|
|Ayuntamento del Cidudad||Town Hall||Plaza Major Este||# 2||also Ayuntamento for Barrio # 2|
|Hogar por Animalos||Animal shelter||400, Avenida Brataglyf||# 14|
|Jardin Botanico||Botanic Garden||160, Avenida Botanico||# 12|
|Objetos Perdidos||lost and found||35, Calle Tacitus||# 7|
|Opera||71, Avenida del Opera||# 5|
|Pinacoteka||Art Gallery||135, Avenida del Opera||# 5|
|Philharmony||Concert hall||75, Avenida Botanico||# 12|
|Teatro del Cidudad||main theather|
|Universidad (Centro)||main buildung university||5, Plaza del Universidad||#7|
|Jadin Zoologic||Zoo||500, Calle la Ley||# 11|
... more text ...