Walls of Pretany
The Walls of Pretany are the result of an elaborate and extensive wall building campaign that lasted 45 years in the Kingdom of Pretany between 1423-1471. The century during Pretany's unification was a volitile and dangerous one in the region with many different tribes, sects, and kingdoms fighting for power and control of resources. The results was a public works project that implemented the use of over 230,000 Ingerish prisoners and Inaran POWs. Most of the walls are over 20 foot high and extend for hundreds of miles along the Northeastern, Northern, and Western borders. A smaller, but still significant wall near the border with Mazan was build during the same time frame, all pushed by the monarchy of Duke Beglidere and his son Bredalt, Prince of Pretany. Some of the original span of the walls are still in use as border control devices to this day.
Northeast Wall, near the cities of Northeast Wall, Prairie Du Rocher, and Lytchfield is the longest of the major walls, and the most extensively used as a hard border between the poorer regions of Lechia, and the heavily populated northern Shires of Pretany. Nearly 180 miles long, the original wall was half of this length, but has been expanded due to military funded in 1780, 1810, and 1835 respectively. Lechia during the 15th century was a moderate threat to the newly formed kingdom as tribes in the country were known to be hostile to nortian interests. Although Pretany typically has had a friendly relationship with Lechia over the past 300 years, the two countries were involved in a major war, the Pretanic-Lechian War, for territory in 1790 after expansion of the wall caused an uproar in the Lechia. Both countries claimed the other was "moving" the border with annexation in mind, and it quickly became a contested border, leading to a small scale war between the two contries. The wall, although not as heavily militarized, does hold several distinct training facilities that both Lechia and Pretany use jointly as allies. Most of the wall on the Pretanic side is forested by the Northeast Wall Militarization Reserve.
Northwall at, 88 miles in length, was originally built as a buffer from both Lechia and Tircambrian Petty Kingdoms, which were one the rise and were beginning to pose a possible threat to the newly formed Pretany. The wall has quickly fell out of use, other than a tourist attraction over the centuries as the slow but steady unification of Tircambry and Lechia put an end to the threat of invasion by barbaric war-lords. The mountainous wilderness of Ísztianország forming into a peaceful region also helped diminish the threats of invasion. The most influential city on Northwall was Bevelle, Croxtonshire, an ancient nortian citadel, that was used as a defensive structure until the 16th century. Today the Northwall Militarization Forest Reserve protects the ancient walled border from damage, one of the largest forest reserves in the country.
Westwall was the smallest and is the most endangered of the ancient walls. The wall was originally split into two sections along a 20 and 37 mile stretch on either side of the city of Westwall and Westwall Lake. The wall originally started on the northern shore of Guchi Lake, but today only a 5 mile stretch, just east of the city of Westwall survives, nearly in shambles. Two major earthquakes have struck the mountainous region since the 15th century and has destroyed much of the infrastructure in the area, including the wall. The wall was the original draft of the entire project, meant to keep out the aristocracy and military of Garlis, who posed a serious threat to Beglidere's reign. Many Usurpers attempted to invade the west half of Pretany in the late 14th century, but were not successful due to the rough terrain and distance that needed to be gaped to reach the capital in St. Richards. Beglidere took no chances and build the great wall as the first testament to his power and control in the newly formed country.