|Transit type||Rapid transit|
|Number of lines||7|
|Track gauge||1432mm (8ft 4³⁄₈in)|
The Whangiora Metro is a public rapid transit system serving the Whangiora urban area. The network consists of a metro network operated by Whangiora Metro and a suburban mainline network operated by Anglesbury Railways. The network is the largest rapid transit system in Aorangëa.
The first trains on what is now the Whangiora Metro ran in 1860 when the Transaorangëa Railway was completed. With an inaugural frequency of one train per day, the service could not be characterised as a metro service. With the trains frequence steadily increasing over the decades, no clear start of metro service can be given. Major boosts in train frequency on the White Line were the opening of the City Tunnel in 1927, the quadrupling of the Transaorangëa Railway's tracks to Birkenhead in 1976 and the opening of the Whangiora Airport in 1962.
In 1967 the municipal railway serving the northern suburbs which had their terminus at Watson Street were extended through the city center to General Hospital. From then on, the Capital's rail system was seen as a transit network rather than one commuter line.
By 1985 the traffic to the Military Base had increased enough to justify running a commuter service on the exisitng yard tracks through the base. As public acces was granted to transfer to the Orchard Valley Line trains at Schmuckatelli Road, the line was included in the network as Red Line. At the same time the Yellow line was created from a branch of the White Line.
The latest bigger growth of the network was the "Third City Tunnel Project" in 1994.
Mainline via Railway & City
The White Line runs from Main Railway Station around the city in a circle and then, after serving the railway station a second time, continues along the Canterbury Valley to the northern suburbs and the Airport to Canterbury. Peak services continue to Edwardsburgh and Fiddler's Lake. Between Main Railway Station and Sydenham Junction, the White Line runs along the mainline tracks, which are also used for express services. Peak services to Edwardsburgh and Fiddler's Lake use the mainline's Sydenham Wood Tunnel north of Sydenham Junction. Base service is 3 tph, but on most sections this is increased to 6-12 tph.
The section between the Railway Station and Edwardsburgh is part of the Transaorangëa Railway and has been served by trains since 1860. The City Tunnel opened in 1927 allowing a spiral-shaped route serving Railway Station twice. Two more tracks to Birkenhead allowed local/express service since 1976. In 1994 the Yellow Line was split from the White Line.
Mainline via Signal Hill and City
The lines from Waverley, Temeraire Bay and the Airport via Hillingham run via Signal Hill and City to Whanaiyhi. This tunnel was opened in 1994.
Hillingham - Pakōwhaka
This line serves the Whangiora Military Base since 1985, but is open for the public for journeys between Hillingham and Pakōwhaka. Access to other stations is restricted. All stations within the base were named after John Doe as a security measure, but were later given proper named. The stations on the Orchard Valley line, including the transfer station to this line are named after non existing villages due to a different dsecurity philosophy. The line runs on demand with a minimum of 2 tph.
Previously running from Nīramaikai, Winsley and Damphurst Cove to Watson Road, this line was extended through the city center to its new terminus at General Hospital in 1967. It has now also branches serving the railway station and Ngaya port.