Collab:Pax Nova bids
This page is a consolidated place to manage the administrative process for OpenGeofiction cities to be able to host OGF's premier international sporting competition, held every four years (in years evenly divisible by 4). At the moment, games are only assigned retroactively, which means that only games before 2024 are available. One is held in February, another one in August. To accommodate this general schedule, winter and summer bids will generally be located in the same hemisphere, although summer games located in equatorial/tropical areas may be held in either February or August depending on the winter city for that year.
About the Games
Previously, these series of games were known as the "Geolympics" or the "Geolympiad"; some pages of the old wiki may make mention of these games using that term (including the title of this page). However, to distance OGF's games from the real-world games -- as well as to avoid any copyright infringement issues -- following a community vote, the name Pax Nova Games was selected from options including the Pancontinental Games, the Asperic Games, and more.
The current consensus is that the global international games began in 1960 as a celebration of international peace and diplomacy following the end of the "Great War", hence the name "Pax Nova" ("new peace"). Prior to 1960, regions and/or continents also hosted sporting competitions for nations that share a region or continent. These regional/continental games may continue to modern times, likely in "off years" of the primary international games.
A select committee has been formed to oversee officially awarding games to applicant cities. Any mapper who owns a territory in OGF is eligible to apply to be a host city. The committee is composed of four mappers: wangi, Toadwart, Lithium-ion, and TheMayor.
Hosting one of these events are an honor, and it is important that the mapping of these sites is of a high quality that befits such an international honor. The following is an overview of the necessary things to map and to consider when mapping the games in your city. The committee will use this to determine if your entry is complete enough to become canon, and it's essential that the games maintain consistency, so please read all of it, and refer to it while you're mapping. If you're interested in more information, take a look at the [detailed version].
For the venues consider the climatic conditions. Main factors are the latitude and the altitude. In each year divisible by 4, a summer event and a winter event are held. One is held in February, another one in August. Depending on the hemisphere of the host city, the appropriate date is chosen. As a consequence, both are likely to be held in the same hemisphere.
The summer games should have a summery weather so try to avoid being too close to the pole or too high and consider the hemisphere whose turn it is. Low latitudes in the "wrong" hemisphere may still hold the event in the winter months.
The winter games should have a wintery weather, so high latitudes or altitudes are favourable here. The hemisphere and the timing of the event are even more relevant. To hold winter games in the summer months, you would need a even higher latitudes or altitudes, areas which are unlikely to have the appropriate infrastructure.
Something else to consider is the age of your city. Older cities are more likely to have hosted older geolympics, so think about whether or not you want to have hosted an earlier geolympics.
You may use a venue for more than one event, but think through the timing of the games which events can be held in shared venues and how much time it takes to rebuild it. Try to strike a balance between re-using venues and building new ones. Also consider that pre-existing stadiums or other venues may be able to serve as geolympic venues. In addition, please use international standards for the size of the fields of play in the venues.
For the summer games consider these sports/disciplines:
- Sports with a dedicated field/pitch:
- Football (Soccer)
- Field Hockey
- Beach Volleyball
- Water Sports
- Rowing, Canoe, Sailing etc...
- Inside Sports:
- Martial Arts
- For a complete list of sports, see [here https://olympics.com/en/sports/summer-olympics] Remember that some sports are recent inclusions or re-inclusions.
For the Winter games consider these sports/disciplines: Template:Columns-list That means you need
- a cross country skiing arena
- a loop with a number of extensions, allowing for a loop length of 1500m, 2000m, 2500m, 3000m and 4000m (for instance a 1500m loop with a 500m extension and two 1000m extensions), two penalty loops adding 75m and 150m and a shooting range
- a ski jump hill
- an alpine donwhill piste
- a medal plaza
- an opening/closing arena
- one or more ice hockey indoor venues
- a figure skating vanue
- a track skating vanue
- a curling venue
Consider building new public transport to the main game venues or building the venues next to existing infrastructure. Rerouting buses and trams may be an option. Consider parking and highway access.
You further need accommodation for participants, officials and tourists. The "athletes' village" is usually reused as residential after the games.
Venues are often gathered together, and many Geolympics will have a central grouping of Venues located close to the Village.
Here's a list of Non-Sporting Venues to include:
- Hotel Accommodation for officials outside of the village (using existing hotels is acceptable)
- Food Court/Other food focused area
- Medals Plaza (Optional)
- Translation Center
- Press Center
- Broadcast Center
- Doping Centers
- Central Clinic (should be in a central location and be large enough to provide many services)
- IT Office
- Electric Network (Generators, etc)
- Geolympic Village (Very Important)
- The village should be divided into an operation section, a residential section, and a central plaza.
- Please include more amenities than just residential buildings.
Following contemporary discussions in summer 2021, as well as timed with the real-world international sporting event (you know the one), the OGF community made a concerted effort to create a singular list of Pax Nova Games hosts.
The idea was to have a more or less consistent list of cities which held the games, backed by a reasonable amount of mapping. For that reason this edition of the map-off was international games-themed. It couldn't be easier: Map venues. Summer or Winter games, both count.
Just check the RW games from the time you plan to map and see what infrastructure is needed. Usually a big stadium as the centerpiece, a village for the athletes and some more locations for other sports, like tennis courts, water venues, ski jumps, alpine pistes, etc. You also need some public and private transport infrastructure. This is further detailed down in the rest of the page.
While the official map-off has been completed, any "vacant" event year listed below is still available. If you are interested in making a bid for one of these vacant events, please use the "Discussion" tab to ask questions. This page will continued to be monitored by the sporting committee.
For the first round of awarding games, all bids had to be submitted no later than 8 August 2021. While all past summer bids have been assigned, the committee is still accepting submitted bids for vacant winter games, as well as bids for all regional games. To submit a bid, add it to the list below with a status of submitted.
To maintain fairness and to allow all mappers, current and future, the opportunity to work on a successful bid, all future summer bids must be from collaborative projects. These bids will be announced in advance, rather than after bids have been submitted. For mappers who would like to host international games in their nation, winter bids and all regional game bids are still available to bid on; the committee will review bids on a rolling basis and update the official canon as appropriate.
Games will be awarded using the following process:
- First Review: After 8 Aug 2021, the committee reviewed all submitted bids for completeness and to ensure each bid has a level of quality that would befit the international stature required to host the games. Of the four committee members, three must agree that the bid is sufficient to move on to the next step.
- Community Vote: For conflicting bids, a community vote was held that allowed OGF mappers to rate individual bids on a 1-5 scale.
- Primary Ranking and Assignment: With Composite Scores in hand, for years with multiple bids, the bid with the highest composite score would earn the official awarding of the games for that year. For conflicting years (e.g., a year with a Northern summer games and a Southern winter games) the higher Composite Score of the two would determine the hemisphere for that year.
- Secondary Ranking and Assignment: For non-winning bids that still passed the First Review, the committee will reach out to each bidder and offer alternate options to complete the schedule. First preference would be for adjacent vacant years, followed by vacant years within a 20-year window of the preferred bid. If no reasonable vacant years can be identified, the committee will offer the mapper an opportunity to host a regional/continental games instead, or the committee will identify potential changes to the bid to reasonably accommodate a different year. Note: Years are considered vacant if no bid is Submitted or Grandfathered at the time of the selection process. A year that has only "Drafted" or "Potential" bids is considered vacant.
- Long-Term Bids: Once this process has been completed, a list of "vacant" years and games will be posted to the wiki. Mappers will be able to submit bids for any vacant year or improve a previous failed bid to request to host. The committee will reconvene as needed to review the bids, using the same review process established in the First Review step to determine a bid's suitability.
Following the review of the initial set of bids, the committee is happy to announce that all grandfathered and submitted bids were considered acceptable. Bids that were uncontested were automatically assigned their preferred year; for contested years, the committee will solicit ratings on the affected bids from the OGF community to help determine the winning bid. Bids that were not top-ranked would be offered a vacant year, or the opportunity to bid on regional games instead.
|2024||Summer||Gobras City||Gobrassanya||Northern||community bid||Accepted||Gobras City will also host the 1996 Pan-Uletha Games.|
|2016||Summer||Quentinsburgh||Freedemia||Equatorial||Ernestpcosby||Accepted||Legacy bid; previously accepted|
|2016||Winter||Noveh Mehsto||Template:Neo Delta||Southern||Deltanz||Pending||Uncontested; original grandfathered bid was for 2018. Awaiting final approval of year by host mapper.|
|2012||Summer||New Tyrrin||Eshein||Northern||Ifgus||Accepted||Bid rated 3.43 by the OGF community|
|2004||Summer||Trevers||Paroy||Equatorial||PortCal||Accepted||Bid rated 4.22 by the OGF community|
|2000||Summer||Lake City||Federal States||Southern||TheMayor||Accepted||Uncontested|
|1996||Summer||Nichiuri||Adaria||Southern||Martinawa||Accepted||Runner-up to 1992 bid. Bid rated 2.57 by OGF community. Awaiting final approval of year by host mapper.|
|1996||Winter||Cook Springs||Federal States||Southern||Glauber||Accepted||Uncontested 1992 winter bid; moved to 1996 based on result of 1992 summer conflicting bids.|
|1992||Summer||Säntjana||Template:Karolia||Northern||Sarepava||Accepted||Bid rated 3.35 by the OGF community|
|1988||Summer||Xiongjing||Bai Empire||Southern||Zhenkang||Accepted||Bid rated 4.35 by the OGF community|
|1980||Summer||İskenderiya||Demirhanlı Devleti||Northern||Rustem Pasha||Approved||Runner-up to 2004 bid. Bid rated 3.48 by the OGF community.|
|1972||Summer||reserved alternate year|
|1968||Summer||reserved alternate year|
|1964||Summer||Minneuka||Federal States||Southern||Alessa and Leowezy||Accepted||Uncontested|
|1960||Winter||Ste. Margaux||Federal States||Southern||Trombonist2003||Accepted||Uncontested|
|TBD||Summer||Rivador||Template:Lorredion||Northern||Le Mathou||Pending||Runner-up to 2012 bid. Bid rated 3.22 by the OGF community. Awaiting final approval of year by host mapper; top priority for vacant year games.|
|TBD||Summer||Stanncatt||Template:Mergany||Northern||mstr||Pending||Runner-up to 1988 bid. Bid rated 1.52 by the OGF community. Awaiting final approval of year by host mapper; second priority for vacant year games.|
The table below summarizes current bids or bid intentions. Mappers are encouraged to add their bids to this table; please indicate if bids are officially submitted (ready to be reviewed by the committee), drafted (a mapper is currently assembling a bid but is not yet ready to submit their bid to the committee), or potential (a mapper is showing their intent to submit a bid but is not ready to enter a bid draft yet). Drafted and Submitted bids must include links to a bid page. For bids that are not year-specific, please put a range of dates in italics in the "year" column (e.g., 2000-2020).
- Conflicted bids have been reviewed and accepted by the committee, but the games will not be awarded until more input is received from the OGF community. Do not submit bids for years with posted conflicts.
- Submitted bids are ready to be reviewed by the committee.
- Drafted bids are currently being assembled by the mapper and are not yet ready to be officially reviewed.
- Potential bids are currently being worked on, but have not yet made it to the draft stage.
Geolympiad Bids and Availability
|2020||Summer||Not Available||Awarded to Kirchenburg|
|2020||Winter||Available||Northern||add additional bids here|
|2016||Summer||Not Available||Awarded to Quentinsburgh|
|2016||Winter||Not Available||Reserved for Noveh Mehsto|
|2012||Summer||Not Available||Awarded to New Tyrrin|
|2012||Winter||Available||Northern||add additional bids here|
|2008||Summer||Not Available||Awarded to Tarott|
|2008||Winter||Available||Northern||add additional bids here|
|2004||Summer||Not Available||Awarded to Trevers|
|2004||Winter||Available||Either||add additional bids here|
|2000||Summer||Not Available||Awarded to Lake City|
|2000||Winter||Available||Southern||add additional bids here|
|1996||Summer||Not available||Awarded to Nichiuri|
|1996||Winter||Not available||Awarded to Cook Springs|
|1992||Summer||Not available||Awarded to Säntjana|
|1992||Winter||Available||Northern||add additional bids here|
|1988||Summer||Not available||Awarded to Xiongjing|
|1988||Winter||Available||Southern||add additional bids here|
|1984||Summer||Not available||Awarded to Pyingshum|
|1984||Winter||Available||Northern||add additional bids here|
|1980||Summer||Not available||Awarded to İskenderiya|
|1980||Winter||Available||Northern||add additional bids here|
|1976||Summer||Not available||Awarded to Fayaan City|
|1976||Winter||Available||Northern||Jåhre||Template:Ruoguovvás||Liadrien||Potential||Mapping underway (prioritised under 2014 bid)|
|add additional bids here|
|1972||Summer||Not available||Reserved for compensatory pick|
|1972||Winter||Available||Northern||add additional bids here|
|1968||Summer||Not available||Reserved for compensatory pick|
|1968||Winter||Available||Northern||add additional bids here|
|1964||Summer||Not available||Awarded to Minneuka|
|1964||Winter||Available||Southern||add additional bids here|
|1960||Summer||Not available||Awarded to Saviso|
|1960||Winter||Not available||Awarded to Ste. Margaux|
|2016||Winter||Överdalen||Template:Ruoguovvás||Uletha||Liadrien||Drafted||Proposal being worked on, finishing mapping|
|2012||Southern||Silverdale/San Daniel||Federal States||Archanta||iiEarth and Brunanter||Drafted||Skiing area mapped, indoor sports venue under progress. Bumped from 2012 due to northern summer games.|
|1996||Summer||Gobras City||Gobrassanya||Uletha||community bid||Approved||Original 1996 bid is for Pan-Ulethan Games; Gobras City is also awarded the 2024 Geolympic games|
|1992||Summer||Bako-Huz||Kofuku||Antarephia||Huachachi||Submitted||Very good mapping. It can be placed in any other year if very necessary.|
|1980||Winter||Cauwaih/Flumebury||Federal States||Archanta||Fluffr_Nuttr and Zytik||Potential||Mapping underway. Bumped from 1980 due to northern games.|
Gallery of Bid Logos
- Noveh Mehsto 2018.png
- Överdalen Geolympic logo.png
- NT candidate big.png
- Logo pako tarott 2008.svg
- Gobras City Geolympiad 1996 Logo.svg
- Santjana92 logo.png
- Cook Springs 1992 Bid Logo.png
- Geolym 1988 logo.png
- SteM1960W Logo.png
- Geolympiad Pirindi 1932.png